Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taken : Liam Neeson Silat Training

Options
  • 08-02-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Just watch "Taken" and was very impressed by Liam Neeson Silat Training, which he used for the fighting sequences. His portray of silat techniques and movements, kept very close to the core combat aspects. Good to see Silat coming more into mainstream movies :D

Liam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I thought I read somewhere that the training Neeson did for that movie was based on Philipino Kali martial arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

I think going by what I've read the style of silat that he uses is "Bukti Negara" which is a Indonesian combat style that was created by Paul De Thouars.

How different is the filippino to the silat styles? i dont know anything about either and have not seen the movie so just wondering about the different take on the style, you are sure it is silat while i think i read in empire a while ago it was kali and imdb seems to agree.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0936501/trivia

This is not a dig or anything just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

I only found out about it during the week, when I was on google. There seem to be alot of sites where this is talk about.

For me personally comparing Eskrima and Silat is like comparing pears to apple. They have elements in common, but both are very unique, and have different out looks. I teach Valencia Lameco which has elements of Mande Muda silat and Thai Boxing in it. Cimande also have many of the same core combat applications, but also has a beautiful traditional form of training, if the student wishes to learn it. Which I love training in, and it brings me great enjoyment.

Liam would they be different enough that you could identify their use when the practioneer is not wearing any uniform or pattern unqie to one style over the other?

It would be easy enough to identify the difference between karate and muay thai in a movie but i dont think i could identify two different karate styles in a movie but then again i dont train in any form of karate so wondering if you could with silat/eskrima?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

In the movies I think KFM > Silat, imo.

Advertisement