Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovery cd needed

Options
  • 05-02-2009 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I've recently gone through a bad patch with my laptop and have come to the point where I need to re-install windows because it has gone to sh|te!
    Anyways I've lost my original windows cd that came with the laptop. Was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to copy my current one somehow?
    Basically I need a recovery cd to re-install when I wipe the drive.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

make & model please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I actually read the charter and all lol Fujitsu siemans amilo M series.
    Windows XP sp3
    intel pentium R 1.70Ghz
    Sorry about that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

I've never heard of anyone being able to create a windows installation cd from their installed operating system, you could possibly try to close your drive, but you need the clone software and the knowledge to get it to work. I know of 3 people that tried this and got nowhere.

however
    Your windows key should be on the underside of the laptop.
    if you can find this, then you can borrow someone elses windows xp installation cd and use your official microsoft key to reload it onto your pc.

just make sure it's the same Windows XP edition as your current operating system. (i.e. home or pro version)

Place the cd in the laptop drive and reboot, once the boot order is correct the laptop will boot into windows installation, the hard drive can be wiped as part of the installation (note: you will lose everything that was on the hard drive)

I suggest you download all of the drivers for your laptop from the web (Fujitsu siemans website) and put them onto a cd. you can then install these after windows has loaded.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I think there is a recovery partition on that laptop. Does pressing f8 give you any extra options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

congo_90 wrote: »
    I actually read the charter and all lol Fujitsu siemans amilo M series.
    Windows XP sp3
    intel pentium R 1.70Ghz
    Sorry about that

I have a recovery disk for FS notebooks that should do yours. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,996 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In Vista anyway, the software is there for you to burn your own Recovery CD

kikel wrote: »
    I think there is a recovery partition on that laptop. Does pressing f8 give you any extra options

It does. It changes boot preferences I *think* I've forgotten.
    Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I have a recovery disk for FS notebooks that should do yours. PM me your address and I'll send you a copy.

thanks so much Mr bloat your a life saver! My laptop is on its last legs here and programs are crashing and the blue screen of death is floating around!

So all I gotta do is boot from this disc?

WellI think I have.. I found this in an old LC past paper from last year. Some reason i looked there :confused::confused: Anyways see attatched pic. :cool:

That looks like one of the earlier FS restore disks. Do you or did you have an older model FS desktop or notebook? If not, it's probably the one for your machine and will do the job for you. If it is for an older model, it will still more than likely work on your one but there'll be loads of drivers not installed from it.

I'll put the one I have in the post to you anyway. If you want to use the one you have and it works, happy days. If it doesn't work then at least you can reinstall again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if all else fails microsoft will be more than happy to tell you how to replace your lost CD's. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

• Advertisement

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    That looks like one of the earlier FS restore disks. Do you or did you have an older model FS desktop or notebook? If not, it's probably the one for your machine and will do the job for you. If it is for an older model, it will still more than likely work on your one but there'll be loads of drivers not installed from it.

I'll put the one I have in the post to you anyway. If you want to use the one you have and it works, happy days. If it doesn't work then at least you can reinstall again. :)

Seems to have done the trick although the system isn't perfect (HD still a little messy at times) It seems to be working fine now. Just after losing my 9 year licence avg thing from Ruu :( oh well the laptop is much more stable now.

Just after re-installing firefox, adaware etc. updated windows to SP3 and got the latest updates. Ran dskchk and defrag just to get it off on a good start. :):) thanks to all who posted up advice for me :)

Mr. Bloat thanks again mate. If you haven't posted that CD don't worry about it. If you have I'll keep it as a back up disc :D

Sorry, I actually didn't get a chance to post it in the end, glad to see it worked out for you though. :)

Advertisement