Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Restaurant in Athlone

Options
  • 02-02-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Any recommendations for a good Restaurant in Athlone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Thyme ( the old Olive Grove)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

- Top Deck
    - Di Bella

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

heading back to al mezze for the third time this weekend, we both love it, but the wife wont eat anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I think Al Mezze has closed down. I drove past last weekend and it was closed with a sign in the window. You might want to call before you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

The Thai Kin Khao is the best, if you like Thai food. Ken's Oriental in Irishtown is a good place to bring kids. You can't beat Pavarotti's for the money, great thin-crust pizzas for half nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Donie75 wrote: »
    I think Al Mezze has closed down. I drove past last weekend and it was closed with a sign in the window. You might want to call before you go.

its open, i have the table booked.

mmmmm falafel.

i'm also hearing good things about "the restaurant" in moate where al mezze used to be located, but i've not been yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

its open, i have the table booked.

mmmmm falafel.

i'm also hearing good things about "the restaurant" in moate where al mezze used to be located, but i've not been yet.

Eaten in "the restaurant" twice now.
    Sunday lunch was good, service very good.
    Evening meal was excellent, again service was very good. I like the setting here, and hope this place lasts - previous establishments never lasted too long.

Ate in Hatters in Athlone last night. Steak was melt in the mouth type, yummy!

Other favourite of mine is the Village Restaurant in Glasson - well worth a visit, and is consistantly excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just avoid the wineport and you'll be okay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

gyppo wrote: »
    Ate in Hatters in Athlone last night. Steak was melt in the mouth type, yummy!.

going there tonight - can't wait. one of the better ones in athlone.

Il Collesso on nothgate st. is nice too.

motte & bailey in mount temple (15 mins from athlone) is well worth a trip.

Il Collesso is the best Italian place in athlone by a mile.

Their Rigatoni Del Bulo* is amazing.

*I know I spelt it wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

nothing wrong with the wineport

Well, I could start listing things but I won't bother.

I'll just state this.

Wineport is lucky enough to be where it is, have three extremely talented young chefs in the form of Jenny, Shane and Linda and owner who shows an interest in the form of ray and a front of house manager who is great with people in the form of vivian.

The Head Chef is a hack.

Their prices are insanely high (except for sunday lunch whish is actually good value) .

At one stage their vegetarian option for mains was a goats cheese pizza with roast veg.

The base was a peice of **** bought in for about 10c each horribely bready lump of foulness.

the sauce was from another dish.

The cheese was ok.

The roast veg were from another dish.

Total coast of assemblin this dish = about 90c, total skill needed to cook it = zero.

Menu price for said pizza - 32.50, same as everything else.

That's a joke.

That said, Lisloughry is top notch, much smaller numbers so much more control quality wise.

Advertisement