Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ASSIGNMENT I - Long Exposure (Suggestion to activate sleepy camera's)

Options
  • 30-01-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Allright guys, I was thinking this during the day after seeing all those 'no inspiration' treads... And don't shoot me, it's just an idea and to see if anyone would be interested and if it would be possible on this forum :p

My idea is... a weekly (or fortnight) 'assignment', as in, a subject is posted and than the rest of us photoboardies go out and take photo's for this task. So, people lacking creativity & inspiration will have a good reason to go and shoot something specific without having to think for a subject themselfs! It could also broaden the interest of some of us that generally stick to one genre.
    Per subject some tips for shooting this specific subject -and therefore improving techniques- could be attached - e.g. specific technical tips (shutterspeed/aperture/...) or tips on composition (e.g. the 1/3 rule, or use windowlight for portraits), those kind of 'general' rules.

Other good reasons (I think that is) would be, that it might be interesting to see the different interpretation people have over a subject and maybe think 'oh yes, wish I would've done it that way' and hence: we have learned from eachother :)

Task could be (amongst many): "slow shutter speed", "portraits", "macro", "sports", and so on.

No competition, not to find out who is the "best", not too many rules, just a general 'subject' per agreed period. I'd say, subject to be posted somewhere near the weekend and lastst for a week, and whomever (pro's, amateurs & beginners!) feels like participating can, without that extra 'pressure' competitions bring along.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you mean something like a photo challenge for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I agree with the OP somewhere in the main thread that doesn't involve voting but just a thread where we can post the images of the set theme,Would just be fun that way,The competitions(for me) look fun but i never seem to be able to find something for that fits in the image description

If we had somewhere like this either stickied or not that the "creator" could just suggest a theme for that week or fortnight and the posters just post,means the posters have some fun and inspiration and the lurkers get to look at some nice pics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Ricky91t wrote: »
    I agree with the OP somewhere in the main thread that doesn't involve voting but just a thread where we can post the images of the set theme,Would just be fun that way,The competitions(for me) look fun but i never seem to be able to find something for that fits in the image description

If we had somewhere like this either stickied or not that the "creator" could just suggest a theme for that week or fortnight and the posters just post,means the posters have some fun and inspiration and the lurkers get to look at some nice pics :)

That's exactly what I was trying to say, Hooray! :P No challenge, no pressure, just post whatever you think falls under the given task!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

rymus wrote: »
    you mean something like a photo challenge for example?
    I was thinking the same but there'd be no competition just a theme and actually I am warming to the idea, it is a bit half way between the photo challenges and the random photo thread.

sNarah wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was trying to say, Hooray! :P No challenge, no pressure, just post whatever you think falls under the given task!

Sorry i didn't get to read all of your post just wanted to make a quick contribution to the thread,I do remember this was suggested before and people pushed it out of coversation and said the photo challenges would be better!But i'd still rather this as photos cn be as simple as "frozen action" "high aperture" of anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I like it, it was suggested a good while back (1/2yrs ago) and I think it was started for a little bit.

How about somebody(sNarah) suggest something for the first week. Then every week after that the first person to have posted their images, sets next weeks, or if they don't have an idea it goes to the next person. Seen as it's to get the creative juices going how about we don't limit it to just the one post. How about your allow posting up to three images, one of which has to have been taken within that week?

My 3.14 cent!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

sounds like a great idea to me seeing as i'm stuck in a rut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

sugesst a topic already!:D

Think we should wait for a mod,
    To give this the go ahead,and make a sticky maybe?
    Just to keep on the good side of them :)

Edit:sNarah,will you choose a topic?Might be able to shoot it over the weekend :)

Think we should wait for a mod,
    To give this the go ahead,and make a sticky maybe?
    Just to keep on the good side of them :)

Edit:sNarah,will you choose a topic?Might be able to shoot it over the weekend :)

Okido! I was indeed waiting for a 'go ahead' from the mods, just in case.
    As for now, here's some provisional rules for now!

- Photo's are to be related to the given task.

- Posts are to be within tread as per day of OP - Closing after 7 days (does that seem reasonable?).

- Multiple posts allowed of subject, since it is a practise exercise.

- Next task/subject to be choosen by first person to post a reply.

- No negative feedback allowed, remember, this is an exercise where there will be posts of a variety of level. Either constructive comments or none at all! :p

- Choosen subject/task has to have relevance towards the learning process, e.g. for better understanding and using the settings on everyones camera.

- And the most important one: Enjoy yourself whilst you're at it, don't be afraid of showing your photos and hopefully get some wonderful results!!!

Am thinking of the first assignment now, will come back later - and hopefully get some feedback... Mods:confused: Are we allowed the go ahead??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Of course we're allowed, we can post what we want (within reason!).

whyulittle wrote: »
    Of course we're allowed, we can post what we want (within reason!).

Yeah i know but was kinda waiting to see if they could help us out in anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

ach gwan, post the thread with the first topic and the rules and one of them lovely mods'll come along and stickify it for ya, i'm sure.

It'd be cool if you based the project on a great picture you've seen, to use as inspiration...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

elven wrote: »
    them lovely mods

I r in right forum? :pac:

Sounds like an interesting idea. I know I could use it! Inspiration of a rock here.

Thankfully, Genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Yeah i know but was kinda waiting to see if they could help us out in anyway :pac:

Ah, the insecurities of 2nd Level, just a vague memory now;) :D

Allrightie lads & girls,

Here is the first assignment!

This first one I would like to have people experiment with is LONG EXPOSURE because some fascinating things can come from it!
    Here you can find some great examples - the one with the turning wheel got me inspired. Some of them have exxxxxtremely long expure, I wouldn't want to push it that far, but go out and expirement with light, water, lightrails and whatever else you can find!

And because I don't master this skill just yet, here you can find a tutorial with some tips on Long Expure & slow shutter speeds.

Have fun!!!

Extra brownie points if you avoid car trails and waterfalls ;)

Um, I don't mean that, really, there isn't a huge amount else to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Actually a good one would be daytime long exposures but then I have an IR filter that allows that. Hmmm....

DarrenG wrote: »
    Actually a good one would be daytime long exposures but then I have an IR filter that allows that. Hmmm....

There! Loads more to choose from then just car trails & waterfalls, but then again, will find something else just to get those brownie points! :rolleyes:

These are some of my latest along this topic. Hopefully I'll get out over the next week and take one more new shot. :)

shutter_speed1.jpg

shutter_speed2.jpg

• Advertisement

Good man! You're to come up with the next assignment next friday, go and let us be creative :o!!!

Hah! Excellent shot of the runner in the forest.

I'd love a serious ND (and the patience to use a tripod) to do daytime long exposures in the city :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I'm presuming perfectly sharp long exposures meet the theme as well ??

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

3240101506_482a5375b7.jpg

3141759217_26d2922974.jpg

Covey wrote: »
    I'm presuming perfectly sharp long exposures meet the theme as well ??

Yes! As long as a slow shutter speed & long exposure are being met, it's all valid! It would be nice to see what else can be achieved with this specific technique.

This is just a suggestion but what do people thing. At the end of the week somebody(maybe the person who picked the subject) pops the name of all the images posted into one thread. Then everybody that has an image posted has to give one comment on each image posted.

Eg
    sNarah - Blurrrrry car
    sNarah - Candles
    kjt - Crossroads
    kjt - Runner
    elven - Cars go vrum vrum
    Covey - Slow crowd
    Everybody then copies this long list and coments on every image posted

sNarah - A cross process in photoshop could make the picture look funky
    sNarah - Maybe try a crop the left side out
    kjt - ****é image, get a life! (clearly you won't comment your own UNLESS your arrogant ;) )
    elven - Cool idea
    Covey - Nice image, maybe try a longer exposure..

As said above, just an idea :)

elven if you want to borrow an nd let me know!

Well, since I started this whole lot off in the first place, here's my first few attempts - won't be getting any brownie credits for it I'm afraid... Will try some more during the week.

3237194622_4abc149e30.jpg

5" - F10
    3239452870_d9af616a02.jpg

4" - F4.5

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hmnnn....... let me see now.... off to check the moderator handbook....

Ok - If long exposure equates to illegal activity such as mooning on O'Connell street or skinny dipping in St. Stephens Green then the mods will have a *big* problem and ban users on thread - BUT we of course must see photographic evidence of the said offense first so be sure to post :D

Eh.... to be honest the community are self organising for the most part which is why the meet ups happen, the boards.ie photography book happens, the threads such as this happen. Community inspired and community driven. If anyone strays beyond the charter/manners threads then the moderation function kicks in - otherwise game on - let it rip.

There was some post as to the Mods helping out. Yes, in whatever way possible (that doesn't see any of us skinny dipping in St. Stephens Green of course <- speaking for myself, tis not a pretty picture ya know :eek: ) - just let us know what you need and within reason we'll try to facilitate but I think its probably gathered its legs at this stage and is likely to be community driven from here in.

Good idea for a thread sNarah. Looking forward to seeing the results.

AnCatDubh wrote: »

There was some post as to the Mods helping out. Yes, in whatever way possible (that doesn't see any of us skinny dipping in St. Stephens Green of course <- speaking for myself, tis not a pretty picture ya know :eek: ) - just let us know what you need and within reason we'll try to facilitate but I think its probably gathered its legs at this stage and is likely to be community driven from here in.
    Maybe sticky this bad boy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭4sb

3239382567_80409462be_o.jpg

30 sec, f6.3

Best of mine to date that don't have light trails, car made or otherwise.

Advertisement