Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Africa Needs God...

Options
  • 29-01-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

A while back PDN opened a thread that centred on an article by Matthew Parris entitled: As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God.

Last night News Night ran a short documentary on Liberia that briefly outlined some of the pressing challenges facing the country since the end of the civil war. In doing so documentary focused on a certain Joshua Milton Blahyi who was also known as General Butt-Naked for his propensity to charge into battle naked as the day he was born. He has admitted to being directly or indirectly responsible for approximately 20,000 deaths as well as having indulged in cannibalism and human sacrifice. However, since then he claims to have had a 'Road to Damascus' epiphany - Jesus spoke to him and he changed his ways.

Whether you look at his dramatic change of heart as nothing more than cynical attempt to save his own skin through the manipulation of other beliefs, or as an actual divine intervention (this might go some way to explaining his openness in admitting his horrendous crimes and apparent willingness to face punishment for them) it makes the story no less fascinating.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/7858092.stm

(Click above to watch the video - approx. 12 minutes long)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

A very touchy subject, but a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I'm of the opinion that anyone who says Africa needs god is either saying that the ignorant and badly educated (if at all) need religion whereas the educated and enlightened do not, or is saying that black people aren't as advanced mentally as non-blacks and couldn't possibly live life without the crutch of religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

What it needs is a non-corrupt leadership, and a decent education.

More schools to learn how to read, write, do maths, science, business etc. Churches won't do much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I'm of the opinion that anyone who says Africa needs god is either saying that the ignorant and badly educated (if at all) need religion whereas the educated and enlightened do not, or is saying that black people aren't as advanced mentally as non-blacks and couldn't possibly live life without the crutch of religion.

Or maybe they have first hand experience of Africa and the misery that continent has endured. In that case they are looking at what will positively impact people's lives rather than arguing an ideological position or scoring points in arguments.

Overblood wrote: »
    What it needs is a non-corrupt leadership, and a decent education.

More schools to learn how to read, write, do maths, science, business etc. Churches won't do much.

The last sentence of your post somewhat contradicts the rest of it. Many, possibly most, schools in many African countries are established and run by churches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

PDN wrote: »
    Or maybe they have first hand experience of Africa and the misery that continent has endured. In that case they are looking at what will positively impact people's lives rather than arguing an ideological position or scoring points in arguments.

I'm with PDN here. Having lived in Africa for most of my life and seen that misery first hand, positive impacts, howsoever they are achieved, will be a good thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Whether you look at his dramatic change of heart as nothing more than cynical attempt to save his own skin through the manipulation of other beliefs, or as an actual divine intervention (this might go some way to explaining his openness in admitting his horrendous crimes and apparent willingness to face punishment for them) it makes the story no less fascinating.
    Can't watch it from where I am now, but from your description, it seems odd in the extreme to me that anybody would think it likely that an invisible deity would reach into the world to reverse the character of a politically-inclined mass-murderer, when at the same time, it seems rather obvious that the same man would benefit from suddenly telling everybody that he's completely reformed (thereby -- rather conveniently, it seems -- implying that he no longer needs the long arm of the law to chase him).

How many christians really do find the "divine intervention" the more plausible of the two explanations?

robindch wrote: »
    Can't watch it from where I am now, but from your description, it seems odd in the extreme to me that anybody would think it likely that an invisible deity would reach into the world to reverse the character of a politically-inclined mass-murderer, when at the same time, it seems rather obvious that the same man would benefit from suddenly telling everybody that he's completely reformed (thereby -- rather conveniently, it seems -- implying that he no longer needs the long arm of the law to chase him).

How many christians really do find the "divine intervention" the more plausible of the two explanations?

I remember this truly horrific case. Actually the guy was in exile (in Ghana if I remember correctly) but after his conversion returned to Liberia to testify to the Truth & Reconciliation Commission. He did this in order to contribute to the healing of a nation where so many suffered unspeakable atrocities. Liberia's Truth & Reconciliation Commission, unlike the one in South Africa, grants no immunity from prosecution - so this guy knew he was facing the death penalty by returning to Liberia. I doubt, therefore, that his conversion is any attempt to evade the 'long arm of the law' (which, in West Africa, tends not to be very long at all).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

One of the reasons Africa is such a ****hole is because past Europeans were of the opinion that Africa needed God.

I think history has pretty much debunked the theory.

turgon wrote: »
    One of the reasons Africa is such a ****hole is because past Europeans were of the opinion that Africa needed God.

I think history has pretty much debunked the theory.

No, the problem was that Europeans were of the opinion that European nations and business concerns needed Africa's resources (including African people as slaves).

I think it was Bishop Tutu who said, "When the white man came to Africa we had the land and he had the Bible. Then he asked to pray with us. After we prayed, we opened our eyes and discovered we had the Bible and the white man had the land."

The main reason why Africa is a hole is because of human greed and tribalism. Tribalism was encouraged by the colonial powers because it made adminstration easy.

I think history has pretty much debunked the theory that religion is to blame for Africa's problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Stating what 'history' does or does not think about a certain theory is a rather dubious way to argue, as, for that matter, is putting European colonisation in Africa purely down to economic matters.

At the very least colonists used religious rhetoric to great effect to legitimise thier actions in the continent, an indictment in itself, and one cannot ignore the fact that exceptionally religious human beings went to Africa in their thousands upon thousands with the expressed wish to force an alien way of life and way of thinking upon a people that asked for a change in neither. Missionaries were an essential part of the process of colonisation, attacking practices and traditions that binded these socities together and in their arrogance, attempting to replace them with a culture and religion they deemed superior. The destructive influence of Christianity in Africa during the era of colonialism is something that should not be forgotten about, or minimised.

Orizio wrote: »
    Stating what 'history' does or does not think about a certain theory is a rather dubious way to argue, as, for that matter, is putting European colonisation in Africa purely down to economic matters.

At the very least colonists used religious rhetoric to great effect to legitimise thier actions in the continent, an indictment in itself, and one cannot ignore the fact that exceptionally religious human beings went to Africa in their thousands upon thousands with the expressed wish to force an alien way of life and way of thinking upon a people that asked for a change in neither. Missionaries were an essential part of the process of colonisation, attacking practices and traditions that binded these socities together and in their arrogance, attempting to replace them with a culture and religion they deemed superior. The destructive influence of Christianity in Africa during the era of colonialism is something that should not be forgotten about, or minimised.

Yes, because Africa was an idyllic place to live before the arrival of Christianity.

With respect, thats a nothing response, and not very respectful. Its nothing more then a strawman as clearly I never suggested that Africa was an 'idyllic place', but that Christianity was an important part of a shameful process that made millions destitute.

Debate that if you wish, or concede the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Liberia's Truth & Reconciliation Commission, unlike the one in South Africa, grants no immunity from prosecution - so this guy knew he was facing the death penalty by returning to Liberia. I doubt, therefore, that his conversion is any attempt to evade the 'long arm of the law' (which, in West Africa, tends not to be very long at all).

It's worth pointing out that he appears to be very much alive and well in Liberia at the mo. :pac:

With respect, thats a nothing response, and not very respectful. Its nothing more then a strawman as clearly I never suggested that Africa was an 'idyllic place', but that Christianity was an important part of a shameful process that made millions destitute.

I'd certainly agree (rather than 'concede' - since that would imply I was arguing the point in the first place) that Christendom played a shameful part in the colonisation of Africa. Some missionaries tried hard to protect the rights of the Africans, but far too many were complicit in the colonisation.

I think colonisation served to keep (rather than make) Africans destitute. What I've learned about the history of the continent (I visit several times a year) indicates that it was pretty crap before colonisation began. Christianity did bring improvements for many, but often they were too little and sadly infrequent.

Christianity was also a potent force in most of the movements for independence that brought about the end of the colonial era. Sadly, due to basic human nature and colonialism's legacy of tribalism, the continent's subsequent history has often been heartbreaking.

For anyone wanting to understand the reasons for Africa's current series of crises I would recommend Martin Meredith's excellent The State of Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

That is not Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

robindch wrote: »

It's a fair point, and given your position of non-belief, it is the most plausible explanation.

However, I do think it odd that he and his compatriots would be quite so open about their crimes. As for the former general implying that the law need not chase him - I suggest you watch the video first before making such assumptions. He didn't protest his innocence when punishment was mentioned. He even suggested that imprisonment or the death penalty would be justified.

sorella wrote: »
    That is not Christianity.

Excuse me? Am I right in guessing your thinking goes along the lines of...

Anything Good = Christianity.

Anything Bad = 'Not' Christianity.

?

er... no....
    Excuse me? Am I right in guessing your thinking goes along the lines of...

Anything Good = Christianity.

Anything Bad = 'Not' Christianity.

?

I'd certainly agree (rather than 'concede' - since that would imply I was arguing the point in the first place) that Christendom played a shameful part in the colonisation of Africa. Some missionaries tried hard to protect the rights of the Africans, but far too many were complicit in the colonisation.

I think colonisation served to keep (rather than make) Africans destitute. What I've learned about the history of the continent (I visit several times a year) indicates that it was pretty crap before colonisation began. Christianity did bring improvements for many, but often they were too little and sadly infrequent.

Christianity was also a potent force in most of the movements for independence that brought about the end of the colonial era. Sadly, due to basic human nature and colonialism's legacy of tribalism, the continent's subsequent history has often been heartbreaking.

For anyone wanting to understand the reasons for Africa's current series of crises I would recommend Martin Meredith's excellent The State of Africa.

Are you not contradicting yourself here? Your first paragraph seems to suggest that you agree with me as to Christianity being a part of the wider process of Colonialism, however in the second paragraph you seem to argue that because their lives were 'pretty crap', the coming of Christianity brought 'improvements'. You then proceed to argue, or imply, since you leave your points hanging, that because Christianity played a part in the 'independence' movement (which usually replaced white tyrants with black ones) its history on the continent is less chequered then some would assume, or that by the end Christainity played a positive part in the continent's history.

Now I have more then a few problems with such arguments. First, you argue that colonialism made little difference to the plight of the African people, they were destitute before the colonists came and were just as destitute after. The case of the Belgiums in the Congo alone suggests this to be absolute nonsense - estimates of those dead range from the a few million to tens of millions, nevermind the decades of torture and servitude that this people had to endure. Throughout Africa, millions died from wars and diseases that would never have happened or arrived in Africa if it wasn't for colonisation. These realities in themselves make your attempts to soften the onslught of colonialism because Africa was 'pretty crap' before it came rather worthless.

Secondly, you make the point that Christianity played a part in the independence movements. Indeed it did, along with some of the most destructive ideologies known to man, like communism and nationalism. Your logic seems to be that the independence movements were good (doubtful enough), and Christainity was part of these movements so Chsitainity must have done something good! Unforunately, these movements often left open yet more chaos open upon the continent and usually finished with a brutal dictator in change, apt at using religious and political rhetoric to his own advantage.

Finally, you put the last fifty years of 'heartbreaking' African history down purely to human nature (wihch is inself an practically empty term, such is the level of disgreement that surrounds it) and tribalism, ignoring the far bigger problem of colonialism and the part christianity played in it. The problems in Africa - and the continent is mercifully getting better - stem largely from colonial expliotation, mass murder and the passing of ill fitting government models from colonialist to native. Christainity played an important part in this process of colonialism, one that shouldn't be defended or excused.

• Advertisement

er... no....

Then maybe you would like to explain your original point in some sort of detail? :)

Are you not contradicting yourself here?
    No, I'm not contradicting myself. I'm looking at a complex situation where many factors have been at work, sometimes positively and sometimes negatively. I'm also trying to honestly assess the role of Christianity rather than argue a simplistic ideological argument such as:
    a) Christianity was wonderful because it set the poor Africans free from a miserable life of idolatry and misery. or ...
    b) Christianity was horrible because it, and it alone, forced the Africans into colonial slavery.

(BTW, the thread was about whether Africa needs God today, but the historical thing has come up because turgon advanced a version of simplistic argument b.)
    Your first paragraph seems to suggest that you agree with me as to Christianity being a part of the wider process of Colonialism, however in the second paragraph you seem to argue that because their lives were 'pretty crap', the coming of Christianity brought 'improvements'.
    Christianity did indeed play a part in the process of colonisation, sometimes opposing it, more often complicit in it, but most often just riding into the continent on colonialism's coat tails.
    You then proceed to argue, or imply, since you leave your points hanging, that because Christianity played a part in the 'independence' movement (which usually replaced white tyrants with black ones) its history on the continent is less chequered then some would assume, or that by the end Christainity played a positive part in the continent's history.
    No, I'm actually arguing that the history of Christianity on the continent is more chequered than some would assume - it is neither all white or all black (no pun intended). That's why my views will upset extremists on both sides of the fence.

For many Africans the coming of Christianity brought release from slavery and misery. For others the accompanying colonialism brought more slavery and misery. The Belgian Congo is a particularly horrible case (actually it was not a colony of Belgium at all but was the personal property of the Belgian king).

In some areas Christianity played a positive part and in some places it played a negative part. There is an interesting sociological theory, championed by Lammin Sanneh, that the positive role tended to be concentrated more in areas which were influenced by Protestant rather than Catholic forms of Christianity. This is because Protestants translated the Scriptures into local languages, which in turn empowered the indigenous population and often revived previously declining national identities. This had the quite unintended effect of producing independence movements and also indigenous versions of Christianity.
    Throughout Africa, millions died from wars and diseases that would never have happened or arrived in Africa if it wasn't for colonisation. These realities in themselves make your attempts to soften the onslught of colonialism because Africa was 'pretty crap' before it came rather worthless.
    No, I don't think that such misery was caused by colonialism alone. The only way these things would never have happened would have been if Africa hadf remained sealed off from the rest of the world with no access to modern technology. Murderous wars, with rape and slavery routine, were already rife in Africa before any colonialist set foot on the continent. They were, however, limited by lack of access to modern weapons and modern tactics of warfare. New technology would, IMHO, have ratcheted up the death toll without any colonialism at all.

Please note that I am not attempting to justify colonialism. My main beef with colonialism is not that it was cruel (which it was) but rather twofold.
    1. Colonialism raped Africa's natural wealth so that even today most of its profits flow to multinational corporations rather than to Africans themselves.
    2. Colonialism encouraged tribalism for administrative purposes. For example, in Rwanda the authorities forbade Hutus to marry Tutsis, those sharpening lines of division that previously were blurred. These was the primary cause of the tribalism that caused the Rwandan genocide.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

However, I do think it odd that he and his compatriots would be quite so open about their crimes.

As odd as charging into battle naked following the sacrifice of a child for good luck? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 heliguy

I'm of the opinion that anyone who says Africa needs god is either saying that the ignorant and badly educated (if at all) need religion whereas the educated and enlightened do not.

Yep thats pretty much it in a nutshell, just surprised you needed it confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

As odd as charging into battle naked following the sacrifice of a child for good luck? ;)

That's how I generally start my Mondays.

The whole point is the change in the man - from someone who saw no problem in sacrificing people and eating Lord knows what parts of their body, to somebody who now freely admits his crimes, shows contrition, tries to make amends (as if that where ever really possible) and accepts that punishment is due. I wonder why someone who was simply trying to save his skin would embark on such an elaborate scheme to avoid justice? On the face of it his story would seem to add some weight to the claim that Africa does need Christianity.

Jesus says it all better than anyone else ever could.

Blessings this day
    Then maybe you would like to explain your original point in some sort of detail? :)

Sure, but what did He say in reference to your point? Look, you made a claim here and we're having a discussion. So let's discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Sure, but what did He say in reference to your point? Look, you made a claim here and we're having a discussion. So let's discuss it.

In fairness, Sorella has explained her point precisely. Christ lived the life. His way 'is' Christianity. That not many people follow him in his ways is more about people, than about Christ. Christianity is purely 'the way of christ'. Beyond this, is debate, and attributing blame or credit. If you truly want to believe what Christianity is though, look at the source, i.e. Christ. The bodies 'representing' this is a whole other ball game, but essentially, Christianity comes from Christs ways. Annoying I know, when you want to throw stones at it, but it is what it is. Throw your stones at the man made groups claiming his name by all means, but its the man and his ways that are essentially 'Christianity'.

JimiTime wrote: »
    In fairness, Sorella has explained her point precisely.

I must have missed that post because all I see are flat, single-sentence responses.
    JimiTime wrote: »
    Christ lived the life. His way 'is' Christianity. That not many people follow him in his ways is more about people, than about Christ. Christianity is purely 'the way of christ'. Beyond this, is debate, and attributing blame or credit. If you truly want to believe what Christianity is though, look at the source, i.e. Christ. The bodies 'representing' this is a whole other ball game, but essentially, Christianity comes from Christs ways. Annoying I know, when you want to throw stones at it, but it is what it is. Throw your stones at the man made groups claiming his name by all means, but its the man and his ways that are essentially 'Christianity'.

That's a perfectly acceptable explanation, thank you. I have made similar arguments with regard to science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I must have missed that post because all I see are flat, single-sentence responses.

But precise none-the-less. I just elaborated. She basically said go to the source. Which is what I said, in a more fattened out fashion:)
    sorella wrote:

That's a perfectly acceptable explanation, thank you. I have made similar arguments with regard to science.

You're welcome:)

Advertisement