Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned

Options
  • 29-01-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

From Afterhours for 'arguing with a moderator'.
    For 7 days.

I didn't argue with a moderator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah you did.

Did you PM the mod who banned you to discuss it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

He sent me a PM telling me to take it to the Help Desk, yes I sent him a private message back.

How exactly did I argue with a moderator?

Can this be addressed please. I enjoy using boards all day everyday and don't feel I have done anything to deserve a ban.

When another user got banned, you asked,
    Joke?
    Clearly implying that you thought the other guy was just joking. Terry replied
    No.

If you have a problem with that, take it to the help desk.
    Obviously meaning that he didn't think it was a joke. So you replied;
    If I have a problem with your jump down the throat attitude, do I also take that to the help desk?
    Which comes across as arguing with the moderator to me.

It was a question. Another poster answered it. I thanked him.

The reason behind 'Joke?' was not questioning the ban the other user received. It was the manner in which the moderator delivered it(which looked like a joke).

When I asked if it was a joke, the mod turned on me and told me if I had a problem to go to the help desk. There was no problem, merely a question. When I asked if I had a problem with the attitude of a mod, was it the same forum, I was banned.

Funnily enough, it isn't the same forum, it's more of a feedback issue.

Edit: Terry = julep ?

• Advertisement

Da Bounca wrote: »
    When I asked if it was a joke, the mod turned on me and told me if I had a problem to go to the help desk. There was no problem, merely a question. When I asked if I had a problem with the attitude of a mod, was it the same forum, I was banned.
    It's all about tone then really. It doesn't come across well on forums. It appears to me from your posts that you were being argumentative and sarcastic.

The post you got banned for doesn't look like, "If I have a problem with a mod's attitude, do I also go to Help desk", it reads more like, "Yeah, and your attitude stinks, where do I complain about that?". The latter would be considered argumentative in my eyes.

julep is no doubt reading this, so it's up to him really if he considers this a misunderstanding of tone/context.
    Edit: Terry = julep ?
    Yep.

Obviously there was attitude in my reply, and it was justified attitude.

Again, there was no argument.

Is the mod who bans the one who makes the unban?

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Obviously there was attitude in my reply, and it was justified attitude.
    Having an attitude constitutes arguing in my book. That's just my personal opinion. If you weren't interested in arguing, you wouldn't have an attitude about your statement.
    Is the mod who bans the one who makes the unban?
    Usually, yep.

Haven't had a response from Terry yet, but it's finishing work time for a lot of people, so I am not expecting one for a bit yet.

It's obvious that I shouldn't have been banned, can another mod please unban me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You were being a smart ass with the Mod who was doing his job.
    You got banned.

• Advertisement

I got banned for arguing.

I didn't argue.

See the problem?

Terry does not wish to unban me and will no longer communicate via private message.

I would like another mod to unban me if possible.

I have not argued with a mod.

A mod responded to my request at clarification with abrupt hostility, I then responded with a remark aimed at his/her attitude.

I was then banned. I have done nothing to question the decision of the moderator toward the person originally being banned. Which is why I was banned, confusing I know.

I'm still banned.

Have you other mods even read the thread in question?

I would like to discuss this with a mod with the authority to unban me. Contact me in private if need be.

Can you believe I'm still banned and haven't been contacted by a moderator.

I have been contacted by some members of the community though. I have thanked them for their time taken.

I sure can.

The only person with the authority to unban you is julep.

There is no question that his reasons for banning you were valid. You were arguing with a moderator on-thread about a moderating decision. You may not have been questioning the other ban, but you were still arguing with him.

If the other members of the community are equally worried, they can start their own Help Desk threads or join you in a thread on feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement