Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics & sociology?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Thinking of putting this course down on my cao, anyone doing it? what ye think of it?? any ifo would be appreciated!:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Here's a link to an older thread on the same topic, its about 18 months old, but still fairly relevant imo.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138081&highlight=economics+sociology

Others may be able to provide more up-to-date information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

hey i'm doing economics and sociology.. I really like it you have about 12 hours a week each semester.. if you're doing economics for the leaving you'll be ok with the micro and macro in first year, people who hadn't done it before found it a bit hard but they got through it ok...i prefer the economics to the sociology, as with all courses some modules you'll find more interesting then others..

Ah you go on Erasmus in the first semester of 3rd year, which is brilliant.I went to sweden and loved it.it's a great experience

i don't know what else to say if you look through the course outline you'll see the modules you'll be doing and if you have any questions about any of them ask away..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

hey. im currently in 1st yr. 12 hours a week is sweet, not too hard with regard the sociology and the economics is hons leaving cert standard for first year. with co-op and work placement early in the course it breaks it up nicely, so far im enjoying it.

What other options were availible to you for exchange harpy? ne american or canada options?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

yeah im pretty sure you could go to america, but i think its called an exchange rather than erasmus, i think it just might have to be done a different way because of visas and all that stuff.
    there were a few colleges in Sweden,Norway, Finland, Denmark then there was Malta as well,the Netherlands,England,Poland,czech republic.. there's more places but can't think of them off the top of my head..

oh yeah a2dg, Erasmus doesn't effect your QCA its a pass fail basis so you can really enjoy yourself and don't have to worry about results..

ye'll get a form either at the end of this semester or some stage in 2nd year before co-op where you put down your first three choices of colleges you want to go to... get that in fast once you have your decision made as its on a first come first served basis..

here found these links for you its the list for hpss and economics and sociology Erasmus placements
    colleges

and heres the exchange programmes(for america)
    exchange

hope they help.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 a2dg

Cheers for the links harpy, have been trying to find info for a while on the exchange options. You wouldn't happen to know if you go on a exchange to north america if you have to pay their fee's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

a2dg wrote: »
    You wouldn't happen to know if you go on a exchange to north america if you have to pay their fee's?
    No, all students on exchanges pay the fees of the college they're from. So you'd be paying regular UL fees, which is rather sweet if you're spending a semester in a US college.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Harpy wrote: »
    yeah im pretty sure you could go to america, but i think its called an exchange rather than erasmus, i think it just might have to be done a different way because of visas and all that stuff.
    there were a few colleges in Sweden,Norway, Finland, Denmark then there was Malta as well,the Netherlands,England,Poland,czech republic.. there's more places but can't think of them off the top of my head..

oh yeah a2dg, Erasmus doesn't effect your QCA its a pass fail basis so you can really enjoy yourself and don't have to worry about results..

ye'll get a form either at the end of this semester or some stage in 2nd year before co-op where you put down your first three choices of colleges you want to go to... get that in fast once you have your decision made as its on a first come first served basis..

here found these links for you its the list for hpss and economics and sociology Erasmus placements
    colleges

and heres the exchange programmes(for america)
    exchange

hope they help.

Hello. I'm interested in this course. Could someone explain the bolded please?

Also, those links seem to be dead, where could I get the list of possible placements for someone doing this course, either Erasmus or the American exchange programs?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Erasmus doesn't effect your QCA its a pass fail basis so you can really enjoy yourself and don't have to worry about results..
    Translation (even though one isn't required): The results you receive while on erasmus are graded on a pass/fail basis. Therefore, assuming you pass everything, your erasmus results will not have an impact on your QCA (your grades - the quality of your degree).
    where could I get the list of possible placements for someone doing this course, either Erasmus or the American exchange programs?

Step 1: Google 'ul erasmus'
    Step 2: Click first link
    Step 3: Click link entitled 'Outgoing Erasmus Students'
    Result:http://www.ul.ie/international/en/home/international-admissions/erasmus/outgoing-students-erasmus/

Thought provoking how a search engine can be used to search for what you want.

thanks for answering in a pleasant and non-sarcastic manner

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Thanks for thanking me in a pleasant and non-sarcastic manner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭yuppy700

pbowenroe wrote: »
    thanks for answering in a pleasant and non-sarcastic manner

you-must-be-new-here-willy-wonka.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

funny-pictures-bunny-porcupine-flavor.jpg

Thanks for thanking me for thanking you in a pleasant and non-sarcastic manner in a pleasant and non-sarcastic manner.

Advertisement