Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop purchase problems with Pixmania.com

Options
  • 23-01-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I received an inspiron 1525 this morning which i bought from pixmania.com for a good price.
    When I turned the laptop on, there was three profiles already on the laptop, some portugese people and one of the account was looking for a password to log on.

The laptop was meant to be brand new and dell support had no idea what had happened with it. I want to get a replacement laptop from pixmania as I'm not happy with the situation and don't entirely trust this laptop.

Does anyone know if I'm entitled to a replacement?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes you are. You bought what you believed was a new laptop and it turns out that it wasn't. The description of the goods was not accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I've worked in a returns department before and this is the first time i've ever heard of the customer having to pay for the faulty product to be returned.
    I wish I'd checked out the company beforehand, there's a lot of bad reviews about them.
    Unfortunately I'm going off to Germany for a week in the morning and have to make a decision as regards returns today.
    I want a replacement as I suspect it's a previously owned laptop that was sent back for repairs or something and then sold me "as new".
    From what i've gathered from other posts on the net I'm going to bypass the customer services phonecalls (which from all posts seemed to be next to useless or telling the customer TS)
    I have also just noticed that the Right arrow key gets stuck and continues moving the cursor, I do not want to find out what else is wrong with it.

Here's the info I could find on the net if anyone else needs it.

E-mails:
    j.felix@pixmania.com, Customer care manager
    h.gazon@pixmania.com, Deals with complaints
    s.rosenblum@fotovista.com, CEO
    a.walker@pixmania.com She is a Supervisor and her assistant is
    s.delsol@pixmania.com Suzanne Delsol

Make sure to CC anything u you send to s.rosenblum.
    Just be clear, concise, polite and attach any documents you have as above
    Keep a record of all transactions with Pixmania, times, dates, contact names (if you're lucky), details of each contact / transaction, copies of all correspondence. In this way you will have a complete record if you need to take it further.

Although Pixmania is based in France it is a brand name for Fotovista which is 70+% owned by DSG International (ex-Dixons Group plc)
    Headquarters location: Maylands Ave. Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 7TG
    Tel. 44-(0)1442-353-000.

PIXMANIA HQ in Paris including phone number.
    Siège Social Fotovista Pixmania 43/47 avenue de la Grande Armée 75016 Paris France Tel: 0145013535 Fax: 0156 614554
    the chap you want to speak to is james felix. ah and they will pretend they dont speak english but keep saying his name and youll get there.

According to VISA, they have numerous complaints each week about Pixmania, and their blatent disregard for consumer law has been highlighted by both the irish consumer affairs and trading standards in the UK.

The VISA rep said that it's a good case for a chargeback, as it is a direct breech of european consumer law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Pixmania

Hello,

Thank you for your review.

I am so sorry for the trouble you had with your order.

We only fell new products, if the delivered item wasn't sealed & brand new, we can organise a pick up for a new replacement or a full refund.

Please contact us on our e-mail address : mediator_uk@pixmania.com

Best regards,

Pixmania Mediator

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Just curious, why did you not buy direct from Dell.

I didn't even know that you could buy Dell other than direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

wilson10 wrote: »

Looks like the OP got pawned off with something from the factory outlet and Dell forgot to re install the systems disk. I wouldn't be surprised if Dell are re selling their factory returns to suppliers at a considerable discount.

With Dell pulling out of Ireland I can see more and more 3rd party suppliers selling their products. I can imagine their aftersales will also deteriorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

The price from Dell was at least 100 euro more expensive for the exact same product. I would have been happy if the laptop had worked but it didn't. It's been sorted out now anyway and I got a great deal locally with a laptop in D.I.D.

Pixmania seriously need to overhaul their customer service dept. and stop this automated reply horsesh*t, it does nothing but p1ss the customer off. Although I've read posts from 4 years ago saying the same thing so I wouldn't hold my breath or deal with the company again.

**EDIT - I just remembered, when I rang customer support, I had to do that whole A is for Apple B is for Ball, way of spelling out my name, took ages over the phone, then was left on hold after explaining the problem, for them to get back and say "ring the manufacturer". Then I discovered that the call centre I had rang was in Romania. Looking forward to the phone bill on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I got a good deal on a Sony laptop from D.I.D at Xmas. 20 euro cheaper than Sony shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 galwayfotogrfr

I had a terrible time buying a camera from pixmania a few years ago. they were supposed to send within a few working days but didnt arrive for about a month. they said if they didnt send it in the allotted time they would post for free so i got them good and they paid me back the postage. the main problem however was that they didnt answer emails at all and the phone number to call was always ALWAYS busy. clever trick they used too, the phone was answered straight away and kept on hold for anything up to an hour before i gave up. anyways got the camera in the end but i did read many boards type tech websites with people saying to stay away from them due to undelivered goods. Cam Ireland are a good site tho. German crowd who do cheap digital cameras for the irish market.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

I bought 5 x Iomega Screenplays from Pixmania over the past year. ALL were used, I didn't care about the first 3 as they worked fine and were a good price (the boxes were opened, worn and one had files on it).

The last two I bought together were both faulty, wouldn't work at all. I rang Iomega who said they had both been registered 8 months previously by personal users and had only 4 months left on warranty. I had them both collected by Pixmania (after get they tried to get me to pay postage).

I eventually got my refund and will never buy from them again, and I have put about a dozen people off using their website!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

I'm thinking of buying fom pixmania, just wondering if it would be possible to pick the product up in Dublin? or are they only based in the u.k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ultain wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying fom pixmania, just wondering if it would be possible to pick the product up in Dublin? or are they only based in the u.k?

from my own experience, they ship from France and their customer support base is in Romania.
    Also from my experience I will never spend a cent on the Pixmania site ever again.

you can buy dell laptops in PC World too.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I bought a sony video camera from them a couple of years ago. No problems with them or the camera, was delivered quickly. But one thing happened the day after i made the purchase. I got a call from my bank asking me was the CC transaction legit...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Have been hearing a lot of bad reports about this company, think I'll steer clear of them.

ultain wrote: »
    Have been hearing a lot of bad reports about this company, think I'll steer clear of them.

a wise choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

On pixmania.ie is the same model printer listed under about 200e and 400e. There is no difference in description. I contacted pixmania asking if the one for 200e is a B stock or something, and generally why they are listed under different prices. What they said in mail is:
    The best people to help you regarding your technical questions would be the manufacturer.
    200e would be a bargain for this printer but probably I end up paying 400e somhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

Update to the above. I just called them and they said the difference is because one of those (the cheaper) is selling by pixmania and other by different seller. Maybe I take a risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭mobby

I purchased a Samung 32" LCD from Pixmania and it developed a fault after about 15 months. Pixmania offer a 2 year Warranty with Samsung products, so i just rang Samsung support and it was picked up and repaired FOC. never went near Pixmania. I should add there was a two year Samsung warranty guarantee card in the box with the TV that I luckily kept, Not all companies offer this two year support but for some reason Pixmania do.

Advertisement