Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on Computing (FT) Grad Dip

Options
  • 21-01-2009 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I need some information on the Computing (FT) Grad dip in UL. Has anyone done this? If so would you recommend doing it? Is it a good course?
    Would appreciate any information on this, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I did it some years ago. Was a good course from the point of view that it helped me get a junior software engineering position after graduation. At the time the courses taught were programming (C++,Modula2,VaxAssembly and Cobol), Operating systems with a focus on unix, networks, information systems (really systems analysis and design), computer architecture and management science (mathermatical programming/operations research). Content may have changed now and there is probably an emphasis on window/.net programming (or probably should be), but regardless I remember it was a pretty well sought after course at the time and fairly intensive especially for those very new to computing and there was a fair amount of practical labwork. A very good combination for someone with a BBS or Finance background. Alot of people I know in my class went into management consultancy after it, some went on to be systems analysts, some junior programmers or software engineers. All got jobs one way or the other. Might be harder in todays climate of course but I imagine it's still a very good course if you are coming from a non-computing background. After all it's meant to be a conversion course. Going back myself in Sept. to do the MSc Software Engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 baby82

Thanks Flaccus for the great information. I am from a BBS background as so its good to hear that it suits that area.
    Thanks again for the information.

Advertisement