Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HuaWei 160G on Linux

Options
  • 20-01-2009 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to get the HuaWei 160G 3G USB Modem working on Susie Linux. All help gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Hi, I'm not familiar with Suse but these are fully supported now in Ubuntu 8.10 with Network Manager 0.70.

Just checking the Suse site, I see openSuse 11 has got Network Manager 0.70 so it should work out of the box for you. If not, then get the package KPPP, install it from a USB if you have no internets. Then run
    wvdialconf

in a terminal. This should detect the modem, if not then reboot with the modem connected and run wvdialconf again. After that, open up KPP and input the phone number and the other connection details.What happens when you try to run it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

An Fear Aniar, would your advice cover the E169 as well, under Ubuntu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

According to the hardware compatibility list here the E169 works out of the box with Network Manager 0.7.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NetworkManager/Hardware/3G

The best thing to do is load up the Live CD, this will create a temporary session of Ubuntu or Suse or whatever you choose, this way you can then test the modem and see if it's detected before you go ahead and install Linux.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Gonna move this one to the unix forum....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 grz

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know how to get the HuaWei 160G 3G USB Modem working on Susie Linux. All help gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Hi.

HUAWEI 160G is supported natively by kernel 2.6.20 and later.
    There are workarounds for distributions with older kernels as well.

I'm using 160G myself on fedora 10 and no probs

• Advertisement
Advertisement