Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best shops for Veggie Food

Options
  • 19-01-2009 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Thought we could all help eachother out with best places to buy veggie food, often most supermarkets stock the same stuff.

The best place I have found is Hummingbird Health Store in Artane Shopping centre, really really good selection you can't find anywhere else, even have veggie fish fingers which bf and i just gotta try!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, we have to support the small health food stores (not so much the huge chains). they are always happy to order in anything you want and generally have a good selection. the bigger chain stores i often find have higher prices on a lot of items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Quay co-op in Cork (on Sullivans Quay) is brilliant, they have a little bakery and do gluten free stuff as well as a savage vegan chocoloate cake you can buy by the slice :) Very reasonably priced, huge range of stuff, nice helpful staff. Highly reccomend it as an alternative to Munster wholefoods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Blazing Salads on Drury Street, which I'm sure most veg*ans in Dublin know about anyway. All their food is vegetarian, and a huge amount of it is vegan, they also list every single ingredient and what allergens the foods contain. And it tastes AMAZING!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

You can't bate t'local fruit & veg grocer.
    -lala- wrote: »
    Blazing Salads on Drury Street, which I'm sure most veg*ans in Dublin know about anyway. All their food is vegetarian, and a huge amount of it is vegan, they also list every single ingredient and what allergens the foods contain. And it tastes AMAZING!
    I haven't been there, but I heard that all their dishes are laden with unhealthy fatty stuff and also the staff are very rude. Mayhaps I should give them a chance? What are the prices like?

The Asian Market (which is located just across from the aforementioned Blazing Salads on Drury St) is great for different kinds of fruits and vegetables such that you wouldn't get in conventional Irish supermarkets. It stocks the usual veggie goods including a wide range of nuts, seeds and legumes.

The Oriental Emporium on Great George's St South is great too.
    yeah, we have to support the small health food stores (not so much the huge chains). they are always happy to order in anything you want and generally have a good selection. the bigger chain stores i often find have higher prices on a lot of items.
    Defo. I only go to H&B when I deserve a treat. Which isn't very often! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

monellia wrote: »
    but I heard that all their dishes are laden with unhealthy fatty stuff and also the staff are very rude.
    No and no. The food is very pure (and varied) and the staff are absolutely lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

This might be old news to other vegans, but the Nourish beside Cornucopia, on Wicklow Street, does non-dairy white chocolate!! Nearly had a heart attack when I found it. It's fairly pricey, around €3.50 a bar. But it's good for a treat!

monellia wrote: »
    I haven't been there, but I heard that all their dishes are laden with unhealthy fatty stuff and also the staff are very rude. Mayhaps I should give them a chance? What are the prices like?

No, the food is definitely not unhealthy or fatty and the staff are absolutely lovely, I would say give them a chance. Prices are quite good for the quality of food you're getting, some things are a bit pricey but it's (nearly!) all really, really good food, and very filling. I recommend their spring rolls and their tofu pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Would most of you eat a pretend piece of meat with your dins or do you focus on veg? I feel a meal is weird if it doesn't have its 'meat' part!

Linguo wrote: »
    Would most of you eat a pretend piece of meat with your dins or do you focus on veg? I feel a meal is weird if it doesn't have its 'meat' part!

No! Veg, pulses and grains are where it's at. Although I do love tofu, but I don't view it as "a pretend piece of meat".

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

Aoifums wrote: »
    This might be old news to other vegans, but the Nourish beside Cornucopia, on Wicklow Street, does non-dairy white chocolate!! Nearly had a heart attack when I found it. It's fairly pricey, around €3.50 a bar. But it's good for a treat!

Nearly had a heart attack reading that! Didn't know such a thing existed so thanks for that.

• Advertisement

biZrb wrote: »
    Nearly had a heart attack reading that! Didn't know such a thing existed so thanks for that.

I too nearly had a heart attack reading that and didn't know such a thing existed! Will give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Nourish in the Omni does some sort of bar as well. It was 45% cocoa, so I think it's milk chocolate, but I'm not sure. And it's €3.90, I re-checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Claire Grogan

-lala- wrote: »

I have to say I find Blazing Salads very expensive and the staff are extremely rude. Unless their food is sugar free or fat free then it will be unhealthy. I tend to shop at Dun Laoghaire market on Sundays. There is a stall that sells raw food which is expensive but go to organic veg stall and get the ingredients you need. There is also a bread stall(beside olive stall at top gate) that puts no sugar, fats, eggs or dairy in any of their breads. They also do a great dairy free chocolate cake with various flavours. Only E2 a slice compared with E4.50 where I used to shop. Think it is time to shop where you can ask the stall holder questions instead of reading something on back of pack.

Forgot to say there is also a dried fruit and nut stall. Good prices and as it is sold loose you know it hasn't been packed in plastic and put on a shelf for months before it is sold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

. Unless their food is sugar free or fat free then it will be unhealthy.

Wha?

Wha?

I agree, wha?

Originally Posted by monellia
    but I heard that all their dishes are laden with unhealthy fatty stuff and also the staff are very rude!

I was replying to above post. Just because a slice of chocolate cake or a piece of quiche is suitable for vegans doesn't mean it is healthier. It can/does still contain veg oil/fats and sugar so shouldn't just assume it is healthier.

I was replying to above post. Just because a slice of chocolate cake or a piece of quiche is suitable for vegans doesn't mean it is healthier. It can/does still contain veg oil/fats and sugar so shouldn't just assume it is healthier.

I still think it's a gross overstatement to say that everything in blazing salads is unhealthy unless it's sugar free and fat free - are you trying to say that every food that isn't sugar and fat free is unhealthy?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 polipo

Dublin Food Coop on Newmarket D8?

http://www.dublinfood.coop/

Advertisement