Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these?

Options
  • 15-01-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭

i took a few pics of these 2 animals which i think are otters, they could be mink or stout! what are they? there was actually 4 of them.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Otters. Where did you see them? Great sighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

In rush co, dublin.
    they where on the road and i filmed them, beautiful creatures..
    there is a river there, do you think they live there or where just passing?
    i dont think there is fish in the river!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Depends on what you mean by live there:) Otters have very large territories and this is most likely part of their territory. Otter don't just eat fish, they feed on crabs, crayfish, shellfish, frogs and sometimes small birds and mammals. But from now on frogs form a large part of their diet in some places. Your stream or watercourse that you don't believe holds fish will most likely have frogs and eels which are the otters favorite food source.
    Are you in this area much and have you seen them there before? It could be an area they visit regularly and it would be worthwhile keeping an eye out for them. Please PM me if this is the case as i am looking for good locations for photographing them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Great sighting.

I remember walking up the quays in Dublin, it was the quay one bridge closer to the city center, and seeing a large otter floating on his back in the Liffey looking up at me. Was a cool moment. :)

Advertisement