Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No Disco - reminiscing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Car crash, wasn't it? She had a nice way about her.

I know the lad who was in the car with her..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Just thought I'd give a mention to the legend that is Donal Dineen - the original presenter of No Disco and currently chief late night groovemesiter on Today FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Whatever happened to Leagues O'Toole and Darragh Purcell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Leagues O'Toole wrote a book about Planxty about 3/4 years back I thiink. Don't know what else he's been up to.

Anyway, No Disco introduced me to this:

And I was instantly a fan (as you can guess by the username). went out and bought the album Cake that very afternoon. (It was when No Disco used to be on a Saturday morning. Donal Dineen days.

Also introduced me to Freedy Johnson - Donal Dineen used to play this;

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

My strongest memory of No Disco was seeing 'World is Dead' by Juniper on there and doing everything I could to hear it again (pre internet days), ended up buying it on cassette tape.

I also have a bizarre strong memory of hearing songs from the band 'Gorky's Zygotic Mynci' on there too.

A type of show that is severely missed these days. I hate that Kodaline are probably Ireland's most well known band at the moment, makes me wish for No Disco again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

Isn't Leagues running the Harmonic operation? Didn't like him on No Disco but he did introduce me to Arcade Fire and the Harmonic promotion outfit is v good....

incidentally, Donal Dineen was still playing football with Rathmore when presenting ND - I remember giving him sh1t after a game one day for constantly playing 'Shakermaker' (The song that made me realise Oasis were muck) - he apologised and said he had no choice!

Uaneen had one of the best smiles......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Yeah, Leagues is running Harmonic and doing a splendid job altogther.

Has he had a personality transplant yet?

More wooden than my floorboards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I used to record it every Thursday night. Imagine a show on RTE today showing videos of the Beastie Boys followed by Suede followed by Kristen Hersh/Michael Stype followed by the Boo Radleys followed by Massive Attack followed by the video with the plasticine figures (which I cant for the life of me remember who the band were).

It was fanstastic, I must get out the old videos from the attic and watch a few of them again!

And about Donal Dinneen and his "wooden" personality - I played football against him (he won a county senior championship in Kerry) and he was well able to move and shout then! Maybe the persona on air and on TV was a lot to do with the hip, chilled out presenter he felt he needed to be to stand out from the crowd at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

BPKS wrote: »
    I used to record it every Thursday night. Imagine a show on RTE today showing videos of the Beastie Boys followed by Suede followed by Kristen Hersh/Michael Stype followed by the Boo Radleys followed by Massive Attack followed by the video with the plasticine figures (which I cant for the life of me remember who the band were).

It was fanstastic, I must get out the old videos from the attic and watch a few of them again!

And about Donal Dinneen and his "wooden" personality - I played football against him (he won a county senior championship in Kerry) and he was well able to move and shout then! Maybe the persona on air and on TV was a lot to do with the hip, chilled out presenter he felt he needed to be to stand out from the crowd at the time.

If you do get out those video's, if you ever come across the video for 'World Is Dead' by Juniper, I would be more than happy to pay for a copy of it.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

I was actually referring to Leagues O'Toole with my 'wooden' comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Still love this song and first heard it on No Disco.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we need a "No Disco classics" Spotify playlist

(actually could be tricky, just checked Spotify and there is no Palace Music/Will Oldham there at all...)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Tree Scape

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tree Scape wrote: »

I was looking for that video, but was searching for "Palace Brothers" (as that was his stage name at the time).

Another oft-played tune was Luke Vibert's "Sharp A2" which Dineen commissioned a video for because there was no actual video available:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WingnutRecords

Hey!

I used to produce a podcast for Curious Broadcast called 'An Ciaróg Eile', for the very first one I interviewed No Disco producer, Rory Cobbe.

Just search 'curious broadcast wingnut an ciarog eile 1'

The interview was great and he went through the entire history of the show.

One for the NERDS!

In the same series I went on to interview Dave Fanning, Dan Hegarty, Donnacha O Dualaing, Cian O Cíobháin, Stevie G and loads more....

Advertisement