Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New7Wonders - Vote for the Cliffs of Moher!

Options
  • 07-01-2009 6:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

If there's one thing we Irish internet folk are good at it's rigging a vote.
    New7Wonders of Nature is a contemporary effort to create a list of seven natural wonders chosen by people through a global poll. It is being organized by a Swiss-based New Open World Corporation (NOWC), after its success in organizing the New Seven Wonders of the World, which where chosen by more than 100 million votes in the first-ever global campaign.

The polls are now open to decide the 7 wonders and Ireland has only one mention amongst the 261 nominees - the Cliffs of Moher in Clare.

You can vote by clicking on the link below -

http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/nominees/europe/c/CliffsofMoherCliffs/

Let's make up for the disappointment of not making that Monopoly board :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ugh... need to register

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Xavi6 wrote: »

What position did Ireland come in the Monopoly board?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Saibh wrote: »
    What position did Ireland come in the Monopoly board?

Not sure exactly but Dublin was up there for a spot until almost the very end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Not sure exactly but Dublin was up there for a spot until almost the very end.

Found the results - no mention where Dublin was placed

In 2008, Hasbro released a world edition of Monopoly Here & Now. This world edition features top locations of the world. The locations were decided by votes over the Internet. The result of the voting was announced on August 20 2008
    • Dark Blue: Montreal, Riga
    • Green: Cape Town, Belgrade, Paris
    • Yellow: Jerusalem, Hong Kong, Beijing
    • Red: London, New York, Sydney
    • Orange: Vancouver, Shanghai, Rome
    • Magenta: Toronto, Kyiv, Istanbul
    • Light Blue: Athens, Barcelona, Tokyo
    • Brown: Taipei, Gdynia
    Out of these, Gdynia is especially notable, as it is by far the smallest city of those featured and won the vote thanks to a spontaneous, large-scale mobilization of support started by its citizens. The new game will not use any particular currency; it uses millions and thousands. As seen above, there is no Dark Purple color-group, as that is replaced by brown.
    It's also notable that three cities (Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver) are from Canada and three other cities (Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai) are from the People's Republic of China, while the other cities all only represent one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Why not try for the interpretive centre down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Burren would be more noteworthy than the cliffs.

Nothing terribly unique about the cliffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,854 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

View from the mountains looking over dingle is something else I tell you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Hmm, there's only one place in New Zealand mentioned. I expected a lot more, and it's somewhere I haven't been yet and I was so proud of seeing more of NZ recently.

Something else did cheer me up. I'm off on hols next month to Vanuatu and the volcano there is on the list. I better go see it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Exactly. They're just cliffs, like any other you find around the world. There's got to be more fancy looking wonders in Ireland? I'm sure we could put a "Yor Ma" joke in here (but there's nothing natural about her, badum-tish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Cliffs of Moher used to be a great place for local strollers from Ennis and surrounding towns who would also use the restaurant for snacks, This was before they built the interpretive center and charged rip off E8 parking rates.

Not any more, the Clare County Council have now killed off this area completely for the locals. One cannot even park within two miles of this area without getting a hefty fine for illegal parking. Hopefully with the crash in the tourist trade the local authorities will get back to their senses and reduce these rip off parking charge to something normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I totally agree with the last post.
    The parking charges for this spot are absolutely crazy. It could hardly be argued that they spent a lot of money on the parking facilities either......

As an aside, I like the way "The national trust" is responsible for all of these type tourist locations in the north, theres a real sense of standards between the various tourist hotspots, giants causeway, rathlin island etc and no feel of getting ripped off at all.

In relation to the New 7 Wonders, I thought that they in general had to be man made?(Like the original 7 Wonders) There are many many natural wonders all around us, some being no bigger than a butterfly. I dont see why natural occurances are being voted for to be honest.
    If it were, most scenic places then fair enough, but Ireland would have a lot more than the Cliffs of Moher.

That said, being an Irish internet user, I will of course vote for them, being the only option.

Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

I don't think the cliffs of moher are a wonder so I will not vote for them. They do look nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Balls to that, they aren't the 70th wonder of the world and they can shove that hustle they set up around it up their hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

kippy wrote: »
    I totally agree with the last post.
    The parking charges for this spot are absolutely crazy. It could hardly be argued that they spent a lot of money on the parking facilities either......

As an aside, I like the way "The national trust" is responsible for all of these type tourist locations in the north, theres a real sense of standards between the various tourist hotspots, giants causeway, rathlin island etc and no feel of getting ripped off at all.

I don't know about that. I went to the giant's causeway about 18 months ago and I definitely remember paying about £5 to park in the car park. I remember thinking what a rip off it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

There are many many natural wonders all around us, some being no bigger than a butterfly. I dont see why natural occurances are being voted for to be honest.
    If it were, most scenic places then fair enough, but Ireland would have a lot more than the Cliffs of Moher.

Couldn't have said it better myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's a great place for cruising down the lake in Castlebar, it attracts hundreds of perverts - maybe we should vote for that!

http://www.anorak.co.uk/twitterings/184721.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

watna wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I went to the giant's causeway about 18 months ago and I definitely remember paying about £5 to park in the car park. I remember thinking what a rip off it was.
    I was up there this summer, both the car parks(I used) for the Causeway and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge were free.
    There was a fee to go onto the rope bridge but it wasnt too much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I was up there this summer, both the car parks(I used) for the Causeway and the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge were free.
    There was a fee to go onto the rope bridge but it wasnt too much.....

the fee for the rope bridge is in case the thing brakes and they have to get a crane to fish you out of the water (like that crazy special effects scene in 'the field')

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

If there's one thing we Irish internet folk are good at it's rigging a vote.

The polls are now open to decide the 7 wonders and Ireland has only one mention amongst the 261 nominees - the Cliffs of Moher in Clare.

You can vote by clicking on the link below -

http://www.new7wonders.com/nature/en/nominees/europe/c/CliffsofMoherCliffs/

can we vote for * insert Yo're ma comment here *

??

my bad !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

Cliffs of Moher are a stupid joke. Check Sliebhe League (The highest Sea Cliffs in Europe) if you want to look a cliffs!

Cliffs are not wonders though? :S :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what about newgrange ffs! older then the pyramids at giza!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

skelliser wrote: »

I believe the vote is for Natural wonders!

skelliser wrote: »

Actually yes. That would be the most perfect thing in Ireland to put forward.

Was never a fan of the reconstruction work on it though... Looks like a McDonalds Drive Thru from the 1980s.

EDIT: Oh natural wonders... hasn't got much to do with the original 7 wonders then...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In relation to the New 7 Wonders, I thought that they in general had to be man made?(Like the original 7 Wonders)

There's different groups of "7 Wonders". There's the 7 Wonders of The Ancient World which is the best known (has the Pyramids, Colossus of Rhodes etc), then there's lists like the 7 Wonders of the Medieval World, the Industrial World, the Modern World and loads of others.

This vote is for natural wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Indeed.

Giants causeway would be a btter choice.

@ the pedants, I assume this is the seven wonders of the natural world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

oh right, i stand corrected

Cappadocia would get my vote for the best natural wonder.

It's a whole region filled with rocks shaped like cocks.

http://marvaoguide.com/images/stories/telepulesfotok/turkey/Cappadocia%20-%20beautiful%20rock%20formation.jpg

It's in Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Toiletroll wrote: »
    Cliffs of Moher are a stupid joke. Check Sliebhe League (The highest Sea Cliffs in Europe) if you want to look a cliffs!

Cliffs are not wonders though? :S :)

slieve league are not even the highest in ireland, that honour falls to Croaghaun in achill island, anyway height isn't everything, niagara falls isn't even in the top 100 highest waterfalls in the world i would assume, i have seen Los Gigantes cliffs in tenerife which are nearly 1000ft higher than slieve league or nearly 2000ft higher than cliffs of moher.

cliffs of moher deserve to be there as does the burren and giants causeway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Huh? Was there not a seven wonders vote last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

MOH wrote: »
    Huh? Was there not a seven wonders vote last year?

natural wonders, last year was manmade

looking through the list i am stunned at some of the omissions, where is Teide National Park in tenerife and why is Mt. Vesuvius ahead of it?? been to both no comparison, the area around teide is like something from another planet, flying into tenerife all you can see for hundreds of miles is the 12,000ft volcanic peak towering in the distance, vesuvius is nice and all and probably gets in on name value and the whole pompeii thing

Advertisement