Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1TB media player to your TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

€162.90 including P&P!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭nc6000

Would this be suitable for copying recorded items from a Sky+ box onto?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only keep in mind this part:
    - Image resolution: 720 x 480 (NTSC), 720 x 576 (PAL), 640 x 480 (VGA), 1.0Vp-p (75 ohm)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Nody wrote: »
    Only keep in mind this part:

and its limited video support

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

By the looks of things it also lacks an ethernet or wifi connection... this means that if your PC isn't near your TV you'll need to unplug the media player from the TV, move it, plug it into the PC, update it, unplug it from the PC, move it back and plug it back into the TV every time you want to put new content on.

If you regularly download stuff it'd become a pain quite quickly I'd imagine.

(Although having a large SD card might solve that problem somewhat).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

kearnsr wrote: »
    and its limited video support

What's limited about it? Divx/xvid (which would be 98% of my files) and vob/mp4 as well.

Looks OK to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

flogen wrote: »
    By the looks of things it also lacks an ethernet or wifi connection... this means that if your PC isn't near your TV you'll need to unplug the media player from the TV, move it, plug it into the PC, update it, unplug it from the PC, move it back and plug it back into the TV every time you want to put new content on.

If you regularly download stuff it'd become a pain quite quickly I'd imagine.

(Although having a large SD card might solve that problem somewhat).

Yeah, it's an okish price for a terrabyte media drive but I can't see why anyone would want a media drive without networking.

I'm happy enough using XBMC on an original xbox connected with Ethernet. Far, far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Yeah, it's an okish price for a terrabyte media drive but I can't see why anyone would want a media drive without networking.

I'm happy enough using XBMC on an original xbox connected with Ethernet. Far, far cheaper.

xbox + 1tb is far cheaper than 160?

also this thing is smaller than the xbox

An old xbox would be about 20, a 500gb ide about 40-50, so yeah you'd have less space but the world is your oyster with a modded xbox compared to any media drive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Correct .. this is not a streaming device, nor is it a NAS. It does not do wireless or wired ethernet. It doesn't play mk4 probably. I use xbmc and it's great.

It may however be the cheapest (and easiest) way to get 1TB of content (the most common kind DivX/Xvid) to a TV in a house with no geeks ( ie the other 95% of houses )

• Advertisement

Well I'd consider myself a bit of a geek and I've have zero problem just hooking up a drive for a minute or two to transfer files, it's hardly a strenuous effort....Also very handy for going to friends houses and the like! :)

Like recently when I got a HD TV as a present that turned out not to have vga or dvi input, would be a perfect scenario (well, I could get vga to component but you get the drift, currently just using a cheap xvid/divx compatiable matsui player. have an old xbox here too I really must get around to modding)

Yes, xbox - €20
    Hard drive e.g. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340274 - €89 (even cheaper if you look around).

And yes, it's bigger, but it's networked so you can add multiple PCs around the house as sources. Potentially limetless storage capabilities.

And you can store the stuff locally on your computer and not have to worry about plugging in the media drive to get stuff off it.

But to stay on topic, it is the cheapest media hard drive I've seen, and could well be exactly what people are looking for. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

nc6000 wrote: »
    Would this be suitable for copying recorded items from a Sky+ box onto?
    Far as I know only way to get items from a Sky+ box are either putting them on dvd or replacing the harddrive in it (which mess's up any warranty). There is a usb interface on it I think but this is disabled and not possible to change. I think there is plans though for future boxes to have it though!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's limited about it? Divx/xvid (which would be 98% of my files) and vob/mp4 as well.

Looks OK to me.

What about HD encoding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

kearnsr wrote: »
    What about HD encoding?

Agreed, anyone whose DivX/Xvid content is in HD, this is not the player for you, consider one with a HDMI connection also. Everyone else .. you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

While the original Xbox with XBMC is one of the best going, I would imagine it's getting much harder to source an original Xbox now, is it?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

no they're still around, stock is still dribbling in to game and gamestop periodically, you just have to keep checking back with them.

also, for those with an hdtv, i have a component cable (you can get them off ebay) instead of the composite or scart one that will output from the xbox at 720p or 1080i. it still can't play back HD encoded files as they are too cpu & ram intensive, but it will upscale any SD content from divx's or dvd's better than just about any other player out there (inc. my ps3) and the gui works at those resolutions too.

as for getting content off a sky+ box, the only way is to use the coax output on the back and replay it and record it via a dvd or hdd recorder. you can't pull the video directly off the drive via a PC as it's all encrypted.

there is software that lets you copy it to a new, larger drive and then put that back into your sky+ box so you don't lose your existing content, but there's no way to actually pull it off the drive and watch it other than re-recording it manually. (unless something has changed in the last couple of months).

that media player is grand though for a non-geek or someone with no family geek they can rely on, although when I set up my bro in law, I gave him an xbmc xbox and a 500gb usb/nas drive and plugged it directly into it (no router or anything as he didn't have broadband at the time) for him and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭pissed

I just ordered one of these from 7dayshop, I was looking for peoples opinion before I purchased but got no replies in the home entertainment section. Seems all the experts are here :D. Comes in at £167 delivered. Good or not???

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=105082

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

pissed wrote: »
    I just ordered one of these from 7dayshop, I was looking for peoples opinion before I purchased but got no replies in the home entertainment section. Seems all the experts are here :D. Comes in at £167 delivered. Good or not???

bloody hell that looks like a pretty good deal deserving of it's own bargain alerts thread if you ask me. :)

I actually have a friend buying something similar but it's not a patch on that so I might get them to cancel and pick one of those up instead, thanks!

That is actually class. It has LAN over ethernet, 5 in 1 card reader, usb hosting AND it can record.
    What a savage piece of kit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭pissed

Ok I just stuck it up as a seperate bargain alert, there is also a 500gb version available the comes in at £134 delivered from a different shop, creativesupplies. Link in new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Yeah, this looks like the dogs danglies alright. All those specs, plus it supports HD. I was going to buy the Dane-Elec So Speaky HDD, but will now order this PVR instead.

One question, how does the SKY Box connect to it? It looks like the only A/V inputs are HDMI and the Red/Yellow/White cables? How would this be set up in practice (for those of us poor folk who don't have a HD telly yet)?

Tester46 wrote: »
    One question, how does the SKY Box connect to it? It looks like the only A/V inputs are HDMI and the Red/Yellow/White cables? How would this be set up in practice (for those of us poor folk who don't have a HD telly yet)?

A simple SCART -> Component video adapter should do the trick. If you don't already have one, you can pick one up in any electronic shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Does that only have HDMI out? What about us suckers with CRT widescreens which only have SCART ins? :o

A simple SCART -> Component video adapter should do the trick. If you don't already have one, you can pick one up in any electronic shop.

Thanks. I forgot about the magical world of cable shops where you can get any plug on one end and a totally different plug on the other end!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Does that only have HDMI out? What about us suckers with CRT widescreens which only have SCART ins? :o

According to their details here it's got component out, so you're laughing either way, and the HDMI output means you're future proof for when you eventually get the new plasma/lcd/inserttechnologyhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

According to their details here it's got component out, so you're laughing either way, and the HDMI output means you're future proof for when you eventually get the new plasma/lcd/inserttechnologyhere.

Brilliant... think i've just found another impulse buy :o

At the risk of getting too technical, the manual says the HDD is pre-formatted - 50% for recording and 50% for HDD. I presume they mean it is partitioned 50% and 50%. And they say the formatting is FAT32. Later on they talk about re-formatting the HDD and they say "First, FAT32 and NTFS partition: please dispatch FAT32 and NTFS capacity according to instruction information, press “ok” to next." I presume that means you can re: partition the drive?

Do you reckon that when you get the gadget in the first place that you can immediately re-format/re-partion it so that it is (for example) 75% HDD and 25% recording. In other words I want more capacity available to store files and less capacity for recording from the telly.

Tester46 wrote: »
    At the risk of getting too technical, the manual says the HDD is pre-formatted - 50% for recording and 50% for HDD. I presume they mean it is partitioned 50% and 50%. And they say the formatting is FAT32. Later on they talk about re-formatting the HDD and they say "First, FAT32 and NTFS partition: please dispatch FAT32 and NTFS capacity according to instruction information, press “ok” to next." I presume that means you can re: partition the drive?

Do you reckon that when you get the gadget in the first place that you can immediately re-format/re-partion it so that it is (for example) 75% HDD and 25% recording. In other words I want more capacity available to store files and less capacity for recording from the telly.
    Yeah, looks like their translation from Dutch is a bit askew. I think what they're saying is that this formatting allows you re-partition the drive.

Even if not, you can always move files from one partition to other via PC, so you can probably just store media on the recordable half that way.

• Advertisement

Yeah, looks like their translation from Dutch is a bit askew. I think what they're saying is that this formatting allows you re-partition the drive.

Even if not, you can always move files from one partition to other via PC, so you can probably just store media on the recordable half that way.

I have it in my head for some reason (probably from an old review of the So Speaky Media HDD rather than the PVR) that it is not possible in practice to just drop files into either partition from the laptop. I think access to the HDD partition (the NTFS partition) is ok from a laptop. But, access to the Recording partition (the FAT32 partition) is restricted so it canonly be used by the So Speaky PVR to record from TV. In that case, the space to store my own media files has shrunk to 50% i.e. 500gb.

Does that sound possible? I could easily be very confused :).

Advertisement