Bangkok drinks anyone? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-01-2009, 14:13   #1
Doc

2 Bangkok drinks anyone?

Hi Guys,

I will be landing in Bangkok on the 21st of this month on the start of my trip around SE Asia and Australia and have two questions.

1. Where do you thing is the best place to stay for a backpacker travelling solo looking to meet other travellers (not the knacker kind ).

2. Most importantly will there be anyone else in bangkok around the same time who wants to meet up for some beers? I've read a couple of treads on here that say its difficult to meet people in Bangkok and although I have heard from others that its not that bad I see no harm in trying to arrange a few drinks with people on here who might be in the same boat.

I dont know how long I'll be in Bangkok but let me know if your there around the same time!
Advertisement
03-01-2009, 14:27   #2
Wudyaquit

You should be ok in Bangkok for meeting people. The main problem all over Thailand is that there aren't really many dorm rooms or communal areas in the guesthouses.

The Khao San Road area is the main spot for backpackers - if you're travelling alone the best ones are behind the temple (there's a temple on the top end of the Khao San Road - the end without the Burger King) and along the road on it's right and behind it are a few different hostels with restaurants / communal areas. "My House" is pretty cool with a great restaurant, but you can't book and it's always full, so you have to turn up in the morning and hang around the lobby for a couple of hours waiting in turn as people check out. Other than that, if you're travelling alone, just keep an eye out for places that have a communal area.

As regards avoiding the knackery kind of backpacker you shouldn't have any trouble. Most scumbags seem to have everything booked before they go and in Bangkok that's almost always in a nice hotel around Siam square or Sukhumvit - if you're booking as you go, you'll tend to meet nicer people in general.
03-01-2009, 16:02   #3
S.M.B.

I'd recommend the same street as Wudyaquit mentions. It's called Soi Rambutri and it's the best place if you want to stay in and around the main backpacker area.

Suk 11 has a very good communal feel but this is in Sukhumvit where you'd find less backpackers.

Won't be in Bangkok myself at that time unless you decide to stay for a few weeks when I might be back over there.
04-01-2009, 02:38   #4
plonk
Closed Account

I think ill be in bangkok around that time, in phuket at the moment but travelling from bangkok to guangzhou in china on the 23rd.
04-01-2009, 12:07   #5
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk View Post
I think ill be in bangkok around that time, in phuket at the moment but travelling from bangkok to guangzhou in china on the 23rd.
Sound If your up for a drink that makes 2 of us! Anyone else?
Advertisement
04-01-2009, 18:09   #6
james1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Sound If your up for a drink that makes 2 of us! Anyone else?
Won't be in Bangkok/Thailand until Feb 7th but i just wanted to throw my name into the ring as i will be travelling solo and im freaking out about it!

Cheers.

James.
04-01-2009, 19:14   #7
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1983 View Post
Won't be in Bangkok/Thailand until Feb 7th but i just wanted to throw my name into the ring as i will be travelling solo and im freaking out about it!

Cheers.

James.
I don’t know how long I will be in Bangkok but if I'm still around I'd be happy to meet up with you.

Don’t freak out too much mate there’s going to be lots of people feeling the same as you and me so once you get there and start talking to people I’m sure you’ll be ok. I just thought it would be nice to have some guarantied people to go have a drink with on the first couple of nights.
04-01-2009, 20:45   #8
james1983

Quote:
I don’t know how long I will be in Bangkok but if I'm still around I'd be happy to meet up with you.

Don’t freak out too much mate there’s going to be lots of people feeling the same as you and me so once you get there and start talking to people I’m sure you’ll be ok. I just thought it would be nice to have some guarantied people to go have a drink with on the first couple of nights.
Not sure i feel the same way - im beginning the to think im after doing the daftest thing ever - gave up a reasonably well paid job to travel on my own around the world for 6 months - christ was i mad! My confidence is dwindling by the minute...Jesus i'll never manage 6 months!Ok rant over!

Anyway i'll touch base with this thread closer to the time i am due to arrive in Thailand.
04-01-2009, 22:27   #9
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1983 View Post
Not sure i feel the same way - im beginning the to think im after doing the daftest thing ever - gave up a reasonably well paid job to travel on my own around the world for 6 months - christ was i mad! My confidence is dwindling by the minute...Jesus i'll never manage 6 months!Ok rant over!

Anyway i'll touch base with this thread closer to the time i am due to arrive in Thailand.
Think of it this way in 20 years time what would you regret more giving up work for 6 months or not traveling around the world?
Advertisement
05-01-2009, 15:51   #10
james1983

Quote:
Think of it this way in 20 years time what would you regret more giving up work for 6 months or not traveling around the world?
Oh i fully agree - i know i won't regret this in the future but that is not helping me at the moment with panic attacks!
06-01-2009, 06:37   #11
plonk
Closed Account

Ive a thai number so if you want to meet up pm me and ill send you on the number.
06-01-2009, 17:57   #12
June2008

hey myself and another girl will be in bangkok from the end of this month until the 5th of feb if ur still looking for companions!
07-01-2009, 00:31   #13
bmcgov86
Closed Account

D and D inn on koh san road is the place to be
07-01-2009, 03:18   #14
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by plonk View Post
Ive a thai number so if you want to meet up pm me and ill send you on the number.
PM sent!
07-01-2009, 03:26   #15
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by June2008 View Post
hey myself and another girl will be in bangkok from the end of this month until the 5th of feb if ur still looking for companions!
Sure what date will you be there? Defiantly still looking to meet people over there the more the merrier as far as Im concerned!

We need to have a location for the drinks. Anyone know a good spot?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion