Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a photograph?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

DeVore wrote: »
    XLR8, I agree but I would make one exception: people who photoshop pictures with Clone and such tools and basically *construct* a scene which never really existed (taking out and putting in stuff) to "improve" the composition and then pass it off as if they just took an awesome shot, those people should be punched in the face. :)

If they can pass it off, they should be bowed to, not punched in the face!!!

*runs from thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

KILL FAJITAS !! =p

just kidding.

I think a photo is the thing you actually physically hold in your hand btw. Its the end result that is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If they can pass it off, they should be bowed to, not punched in the face!!!

*runs from thread*

There's a part of me agrees with that.

That being said, however, somewhere in the mists of my memory was a description of how something was done and it was a photograph depicting a pollution laden background and it was done by combining a bunch of slide transparencies pretty much like we use layers today.

I'm being drawn to the fantasy artwork lately. Some of it is amazing.

Give me 20 minutes in a darkroom, and I'll drop a sky into an image, drop a foreground into an image, etc.

The essentials are the same as photoshop. It's all thinking in layers to make the image.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it wasn't called digital manipulation 100 years ago, and I don't understand how it is now. It's just making of your image/photograph/whatever you want to call it. Personal vision should be one of the most important parts of making your photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I don't give a second thought, most of the time. There are only two categories - I like the picture and therefore I am attracted to it and I may find a reason to go after the origin of the picture. Or the second one - I don't like the picture and I am trying to find out why.
    I think that photography is a visual art like painting or drawing. But I must be repeating myself again and again. If you find it boring, please, don't read my post. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Give me 20 minutes in a darkroom, and I'll drop a sky into an image, drop a foreground into an image, etc.

oh sounds like the next photo challenge... do it in colour and i'll be impressed hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Removing a blemish from a face is one thing, radical restructuring is something else.

OK so I removed a person in the background of this shot below. Should I be punched dev, or are you being specious?

2368199285_2bc99a7550_m.jpg

Bowed to :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Did you pass it off as being caught "in camera" when that was important?

Obviously I was joking about the punching bit :) but if you entered that into a portrait competition without declaring you had manipulated it then thats underhand imho.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Did you pass it off as being caught "in camera" when that was important?

Huh? Don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Huh? Don't understand.

I think DeV means, did/do you ignore the fact it's been manipulated and claim that's how it was taken. i.e how it was on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I think a central question is whether the meaning of a word can change or is locked to the original intended meaning.

The word photograph has greek roots:
    Photo = light.
    Graph = write, draw, describe, record.

The word photo(light) has expanded in definition beyond that part of the electromagnetic spectrum visible to ancient greek eyes, so now includes the infra-red band for example. For me that alone is a slam dunk, the full meaning of a word can change as knowledge and technology expand.

If we stuck with the greek roots for our definition of 'photograph' then a sketch, painting or even narrative describing a vision could be a photograph and the vision could be imaginary, but a new word can expand or reduce the meaning of it's combined roots without affecting them, so 'photograph' coined in 1839 by Sir John Herschel can be taken as more specific and originally intended to relate to the chemical processes of the day. The field was already exploding with different technologies and so the set of things fitting the definition of 'photograph' has expanded.

There are almost 8 pages on "photography" in Chambers's Encyclopaedia Vol VIII of 1891:
    Photography, the art of producing pictures by means of the action of light on sensitised surfaces. It is usual to regard the observation by the alchemists of the 16th century that Luna Cornea or Horn Silver (native chloride of silver) is blackened on exposure to light, as the first chemical step in the history of photography, while the foundation of photographic optics was laid by Della Porta in the invention of the camera obscura (1569) at a somewhat earlier period.

The honour of having been the first to produce pictures by the action of light on a sensitive surface is now very generally conceded to Thomas Wedgewood, an account of whose researches was published in 1802 in the Journal of the Royal institution, under the title, 'An Account of a Method of Copying Paintings upon Glass, and of making Profiles by the agency of Light upon Nitrate of Silver; with Observations by H.Davy.'
    Wedgewood couldn't fix his images but there is a hint of experiments as far back as ~1791 in a letter from Watt (Chapter XIII) referring to "silver pictures".

Niepce however mastered fixing, so he is often credited with producing the first photograph using his heliograph (sun-writing) process (1825 image of an etching according to wikipedia, or 'A View from a Window' 1826 according to wikipedia, 1814 by Chambers's, 1816 by niepce.com). Strictly speaking his was the first photograph with 'good' persistance even when exposed to daylight, but not the first photograph.

On Jan 25th 1839 William Fox Talbot showed his 'Photogenic Drawings' at the Royal Institution and on the 31st described his process using paper coated with Silver Iodide to produce 'negative' and 'positive' images, though Herschel seems credited with coining those terms in that year. The Daguerrotype was also introduced that year, then subsequently the Chrysotype, Calotype, Ambrotype, Tinytype, the Collodion process, and it has kept expanding.

So the word 'photograph' covers things originally named silver picture, heliograph etc., and as the technologies continued to proliferate so has the full description of the word photograph, it has never been a static set.

Regardless of all the history, common use of the word among the upcoming bebo generation now assumes digital, you'd generally have to specify film or even print.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think DeV means, did/do you ignore the fact it's been manipulated and claim that's how it was taken. i.e how it was on camera.
    Yup, thats what I mean.

I edited out some people from this pic (badly :() :
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/78645925@N00/377917237/in/set-72157594514821726/

But I made a note that I had. In this instance, thats just my way of doing things, but a while ago we had someone query if a picture of a horse had been photoshopped (it had) as it was entered into a photograph competition which explicitly said no cloning etc.
    Thats deceitful and dishonest. Punching time. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Generally speaking a photograph is whatever i want it to be.

Personally, i deal in the finished image and once that matches up to what i set out to do in the first place i am happy.

As far as i am concerned, drawing lines and implying you don't like or wouldn't do something simply means you are limiting your own creativity.

Don't get me wrong, everyone should have and discover and enjoy their own sense of photography is. The second you start telling me what mine should be is the day i tell you to **** yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sometimes its interesting to do a comparison of the "photograph" or what was captured in camera, and the finished manipulated image.

This image shows my "before" and "after" versions but when the actual photo was taken I already knew that wasnt the end of it...

Devore will be happy its noted on flickr in the comments what was done!

3167947224_fdaf623412.jpg

Sometimes its nice also to rescue an image from a washout sessions. Cold morning (out twice to try get a sunrise, no joy), bundle of dull grey shots, its nice to get some kind of result out of it

But to me the end result is what is normally only shown... how I got there doesnt really matter... although I agree with one thing said, i wouldnt pass it off as having been taken in camera

At the end of day once I'm happy with it, thats ok, if others like it its great, if not its up to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

There are many groups on Flickr that could help refine ideas on this topic, notably:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/94837392@N00/discuss/

I have to admit that I seem to have outgrown many undergrad discussions which ultimately are more a means of bonding with other people than in coming to any decisions on life, photography and naming of parts.

A photography is probably an image captured in light, as anybody who joins the Light Painters Group will find.

The optics of digital cameras, optical glass and sensors have caused me to read a bit more, so as to understand what I am doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭superflyninja

ummm Im probably totally wrong on this but when you take a digital photo processing has already been done to the image(excluding raw) on camera before it even reaches the PC screen/print out? Eg white balance, colour vibrancy etc. And digital images might often contain colour casts as a result of the method of capture that were not present in the original scene? So Id be of the opinion that practically all digital images would need some PP.

Anouilh wrote: »
    There are many groups on Flickr that could help refine ideas on this topic, notably:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/94837392@N00/discuss/

I have to admit that I seem to have outgrown many undergrad discussions which ultimately are more a means of bonding with other people than in coming to any decisions on life, photography and naming of parts.

A photography is probably an image captured in light, as anybody who joins the Light Painters Group will find.

The optics of digital cameras, optical glass and sensors have caused me to read a bit more, so as to understand what I am doing.
    Interesting link thanks, just had a quick read about Barthes punctum on wikipaedia.

I can't recall if we discussed this before, but a bard once pronounced "a writer writes for himself, or for no-one". Rather than an amoral call for selfishness, it recognises that a writer, or to extend - a photographer, cannot control the subjective perception of others, so should singly focus on personal satisfaction in his/her work. The only perception one can use as a guage is ones own, at least satisfy that or you may satisfy none. Personal change over time plays a role, I may be delighted with my work today, but not tomorrow, or visa versa.

This approach of promoting personal satisfaction with the work requires discipline, because of our innate desires to be fully understood and appreciated by others, deep emotional needs that crave satisfaction at every turn, particularly when neglected. Those needs are best satisfied in meatspace, online interaction even realtime audiovisual, is no substitute for physical contact for example, the simplest of things yet the most fulfilling.

Photography as an art then becomes primarily a subjective personal thing without apology, anything after that is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

democrates wrote: »
    a writer, or to extend - a photographer, cannot control the subjective perception of others, so should singly focus on personal satisfaction in his/her work.

But how many of us would continue to shoot in any way as profusely if we weren't sharing the results with anyone else?

Photography as an act, is very much like just pointing and saying "look what I saw". Would you do that if there was nobody to tell what you saw?

Sorry, a little o/t :/

elven wrote: »
    But how many of us would continue to shoot in any way as profusely if we weren't sharing the results with anyone else?

Photography as an act, is very much like just pointing and saying "look what I saw". Would you do that if there was nobody to tell what you saw?

No worries at all, I've no loyalty to this idea, just testing it out really. Your point is well taken, I'm not arguing against sharing as the last line in my post vaguely implies "anything after that is a bonus". I share photos myself both for feedback as I learn and hoping that others may derive some aesthetic satisfaction or what not.

The main point is that perfect communication is impossible, we are diverse in nature and nurture and changing over time. For example what I find appealing may not be so to others and visa versa, or what I perceive as important can be very different to the perceptions of others.

So for any given artistic expression, you cannot be in anyone elses mind like a Vulcan mind-meld to verify accurate reception, only your own. If your work gets the message through to you perfectly, that's the best you can do, then share it with the world and let people take it in their own ways.

I think Barthes was on a hiding to nothing in seeking the holy grail of punctum - the ability of a photograph to punch through and make the precise impact the photographer intended. Take any pulitzer photograph, ask ten people to write about it and you'll get ten different stories. There'll be overlaps for sure, but not the perfection of communication Barthes seemed to seek.

When he wrote camera lucida apparently half of it was about his grief having lost his mother. It suggests to me that he was unable to deal with his grief in the normal way, and in large part because he sought refuge in communication, as though someone else experiencing his state accurately were the solution. As the song goes, every form of refuge has its price. I think most people are happy if someone can empathise with them in their plight, but don't actually expect that person to have lived an identical life which is what is needed for identical perception. The closest I can imagine is Siamese twins.

• Advertisement

elven wrote: »

This depends on personality, I think.

I tend to be a self starter and would probably be taking photos in any case. However, the contact made on the Internet has opened up so many new avenues that the sharing aspect is now crucial as well to what I do. The groups I have joined have helped me to refine the themes that, when I was a point and shoot photographer, were very jumbled up.

Also, the fact that I started out with a very old and dark CRT monitor, which was only discovered through fellow photographers asking what the matter might be, means that technical help is always there now and I cannot separate the social aspect of my day on the Internet from the actual activity of using my camera.

Solyad wrote: »
    Sometimes its interesting to do a comparison of the "photograph" or what was captured in camera, and the finished manipulated image.

This image shows my "before" and "after" versions but when the actual photo was taken I already knew that wasnt the end of it...

Devore will be happy its noted on flickr in the comments what was done!

3167947224_fdaf623412.jpg

Sometimes its nice also to rescue an image from a washout sessions. Cold morning (out twice to try get a sunrise, no joy), bundle of dull grey shots, its nice to get some kind of result out of it

But to me the end result is what is normally only shown... how I got there doesnt really matter... although I agree with one thing said, i wouldnt pass it off as having been taken in camera

At the end of day once I'm happy with it, thats ok, if others like it its great, if not its up to them...

Strangely, I prefer the "before" version.

I hope you don't mind this suggestion:

if you concentrate on the rocks and remove some of the right hand side of the image, emphasising the height of the main rock formation and its relationship with the sea on the left hand side I think you might have a very interesting final image.

I say this with reservation.
    Last year I spent a lot of time working on a photo of a butterfly, removing and re-inserting different values of negative space around it. It taught me quite a lot... but since I was in conversation with a person who debated the toss way beyond my attention span, I also learned how not to obsess in post production.

Advertisement