Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2009, 19:32   #46
Dublinstiofán

Quote:
Originally Posted by amacachi View Post
Because some people will pay ridiculous prices for them.
Thats exactly it amacachi. Prices are so ridiculous for a lot of things in this country because some people are stupid enough to pay them.

Then you think your smart when you hear 'two packets of mach three blades for a tenner' on Henry st and they end up being fake and cut the bleedin face off you. Oh what a great country we live in. All out to con us.
Advertisement
05-01-2009, 00:08   #47
Red Sleeping Beauty
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublinstiofán View Post
Thats exactly it amacachi. Prices are so ridiculous for a lot of things in this country because some people are stupid enough to pay them.

Then you think your smart when you hear 'two packets of mach three blades for a tenner' on Henry st and they end up being fake and cut the bleedin face off you. Oh what a great country we live in. All out to con us.
Your post seems like it could be slightly subversive. Tell me more, have you MSN ?

Are you one of these consumer powah/you get what you pay for louts ?
05-01-2009, 11:36   #48
Dublinstiofán

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan dunne 27 View Post
Your post seems like it could be slightly subversive. Tell me more, have you MSN ?

Are you one of these consumer powah/you get what you pay for louts ?
I try to get value no matter what i buy, was caught with the blades on Henry street myself though. ****in hate findin out after i've been ripped off.

Have to be wathing everything.

One at the moment is English websites/shops in Dublin charging over the odds for stuff.

For example, looked at a game for a present on a certain website the other day. It was £22 which was converted into €38 by some amazing price inflation currency converter. But that wasn't the worst bit. The game even at its overpriced €38 is still a full €22 cheaper than it is to buy everywhere in Dublin.

This effectively means that the cnuts in Dublin put the maximum price they can get on these when they come in and actually get it for probably over a year before they even contemplate reducing it. This is because people will pay the ridiculous amount for it without thinking about it.

It will never happen but if shoppers thought along the same lines and said right €60 for that is too much and nobody bought it at said price. The seller wouldn't be long dropping the price in an effort to boost sales. Then other shops of the same nature would then have no choice but to drop the price of it too.
05-01-2009, 17:04   #49
MediaTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddleworthy View Post
its cause there are only two decent manufacturers of blades out there - Gillette and Wilkenson Sword, not much competition out there really!
If by decent you mean expensive. True they are the only games in town for multiblade cartridges. However, double edge blades are made by Gillette, Wilknson Sword, Merkur, Feather and http://www.connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html for a fraction of the price. Worth considering.
05-01-2009, 17:09   #50
danzig

the reason why is because like with most things in life, they are selling the actual razors at a loss, and the way they make up the difference is by charging the extras such as blades at a very high cost. its the same with consoles, they sell the console at a loss and charge through the roof for things like games and controllers.

often is the case that you can buy a new razor with spare blades for cheaper than a pack of blades!
Advertisement
05-01-2009, 17:27   #51
keane2097

How long would one of those Merkur blades last?
05-01-2009, 17:30   #52
melekalikimaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysoose View Post
Why would people use an electric? then they would have nothing to whinge about...seriously gillette and wilkinson are not the only two razor manafacturers. This is the whingiest thread in a long time.
baby soft and electric dont works
05-01-2009, 17:32   #53
MediaTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzig View Post
the reason why is because like with most things in life, they are selling the actual razors at a loss, and the way they make up the difference is by charging the extras such as blades at a very high cost. its the same with consoles, they sell the console at a loss and charge through the roof for things like games and controllers.
The so called Gillette Model is a staple of many courses in economics.
05-01-2009, 17:32   #54
MediaTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by keane2097 View Post
How long would one of those Merkur blades last?
Depending on how tough your beard is etc. 5 to 10 shaves. You should on average get a week out of one.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-01-2009, 20:10   #55
seclachi

The story about cermac blades made me smile, cut throats have been around for ages, but of course were impossible to make money off, as you just sharpened it every time it got blunt. Then bic and the rest discovered selling bits of foil that are only good for a few uses and made a fortune off people who dont like slicing there faces open or sharpening stuff.

I just use an electric myself, I`m more in the bumfluff end of things as opposed to fellas who have a thicket after a day or two.
09-01-2009, 21:18   #56
dfbemt

If you know somebody up north (yes, that cheap place) try out Makro cash & carry outside Belfast. Pack of 4 packs of Fusion - £15, pack of 5 packs of Mach3 - £16.

No comparison with the proces down here.

Good ol' Rip Off Ireland
09-01-2009, 21:39   #57
bladebrew

as some people mentioned razor blades used to be the most popular thing to be stolen from supermarkets (most now are behind the till or have a security camera looking directly at them),i used to work in a big supermarket,they actually had a top ten list of the most common things being nicked and razor blades were at the top,
and i think the price is a lot to do with (as already stated above) the profit margins they make on the actual razor compared with the profit on the blades! they have to make money somewhere
09-01-2009, 21:42   #58
Omnipresence

buy them in bulk on ebay.. !!

thats what i do
09-01-2009, 21:45   #59
nevaeh-2die-4

its a ****n joke the prices of gillette fusions 17euro for 4 blades!!!

i have very sensitve skin and if i use cheap razors me mush goes all red & hot so me needs to buy gillette fusions , im buying them in bulk from ebay so **** you rip off ireland
09-01-2009, 22:01   #60
brian ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester77 View Post
Why not get a decent razor like a Merkur and pickup some Feather blades, you can get 50 blades for under £10 here and they will give you a better shave than any Gilette or Wilkinson blade will ever give you.
Me DA used to us one of them. Are they really good? I like to try them, Can you buy the razor part easily.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion