Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal? ( not poying xmas bonus :( )

Options
  • 17-12-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

Hello lads, in the hotel where i work ( full time 45h++ per weak) said to us:

We will not be paying xmas bonus to anyone... I am not even talking about xmas party...

Can they really do that? :( .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Perfrectly legal

I use the term "perfectly" in irony

I dont get one and never have or will. Bit mean of a hotel not to in any case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Yes.
    And they're not alone in that. Believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Damn :(. i cant believe they can be such cheap ba****ds...

Thought i knew what i do when i came to work to hotel :(. So i am busting mine balls all xmas season, and for this they wount even say "thank you" :(.

Ofc they will make huge money like allways...

Ah well thx lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

if it keeps you in a job they won't be ba$tards.

be glad you have a job you might not for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Just curious, what makes you think it is illegal to give a goodwill gesture?

Unless it is written into your contract that you are entitled to a Christmas bonus, that is.

• Advertisement

okay whatever guys, no need to attack me for that now.

Every single place i worked they gave atleast something. And that was fair enought. And i find it strange, that you will be working all holiday season ( we dont have off days or holidays, its actually moust busyest season in year for us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Bit mean of a hotel not to in any case
    i cant believe they can be such cheap ba****ds...

I'm not sure if you guys know this, but the hospitality indistry in Ireland is in big trouble.

I would not be surprised if your employer has serious financial problems.

So i am busting mine balls all xmas season, and for this they wount even say "thank you" :(.

I would understand this if you were working for free, but you're still getting paid though, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Every single place i worked they gave atleast something. And that was fair enought. And i find it strange, that you will be working all holiday season ( we dont have off days or holidays, its actually moust busyest season in year for us).

13 years employed still awaiting my first bonus ;)

as i said be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Have never ever got a xmas bonus before :(

Well....actually, maybe one time i got a nice bit of smoked salmon and a half day on xmas eve.

i asked becouse i have newer had such experience, i allways had xmas bonus. And no need this crap lads: "be greatfull for having job" i am working for mine money, and working hard. So they could be thankfull for me aswell.

anyway i founded out, and i just need to swallow it. Thx for those post who actually answered to this, not just started "be greatfull for having job" rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm not attacking you, I am merely pointing out that getting a Christmas bonus is not mandatory.

Actually, in all the years I have been working, I have never got a Christmas bonus. And as I work in IT, I have worked the odd Christmas, including Christmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I think what the "be greatful you have a job" people were trying to say is a lot of people (especially in the hospitality industry) are losing their job, so not getting a Christmas bonus should be considered fairly normal at this stage, and you're lucky you haven't been laid off... yet! :o

No one was trying to say you should be working for free or treated badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

as an employer i could never understand why staff felt "entitled" to a xmas bonus.

the flip side of the coin is that your boss has paid you every week for the last year, maybe he deserves a bonus/pressie from the staff ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

i asked becouse i have newer had such experience, i allways had xmas bonus. And no need this crap lads: "be greatfull for having job" i am working for mine money, and working hard. So they could be thankfull for me aswell.

anyway i founded out, and i just need to swallow it. Thx for those post who actually answered to this, not just started "be greatfull for having job" rant.

I never worked anywhere that paid Xmas bonuses. I think this is a useful wake up call to go compare your terms and conditions with other places. Don't assume there are all the same, and don't assume that everywhere else is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Shelflife wrote: »
    as an employer i could never understand why staff felt "entitled" to a xmas bonus.

But it's the done thing in many industries.
    The OP is feeling disappointed at not getting a bonus.
    There are bankers in the IFSC disappointed at getting nothing and they got 5k last year.
    If you want to push that further, there are bankers (bankers are an obvious example) in London used to getting good bonuses but disappointed at getting something the OP can only dream of. I'm taking 50k plus, you can only judge yourself against your peers

It's all relative realy.
    In my experience hotels are the last place to expect a bonus, they can replace you easily and so no real need. It's tough work in that sector for sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've only ever worked one job that gave a xmas bonus, that was about 8 years ago!

It's quite laughable that you're even asking if this is legal!

I assume you're young, welcome to the first of many disappointments in your working life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

aw now

he's just disappointed is all. Perhaps a bit naive, thinking that it's illegal not to give a Christmas bonus, but if he's had one since he started working you can't really blame him for wondering!

No point in rubbing salt in the wound of someone who might have been counting on that money, whether it was wise to do so or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

some jobs have bonuses; it's even written into the contract based on performance or other metric; if metric is made then bonus is earned. Some jobs should be incentivised. Nothing to get overwrought about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

ntlbell wrote: »
    13 years employed still awaiting my first bonus ;)

as i said be grateful

If you're working for NTL you don't deserve one lol (don't take it personally!).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

trellheim wrote: »
    some jobs have bonuses; it's even written into the contract based on performance or other metric; if metric is made then bonus is earned. Some jobs should be incentivised. Nothing to get overwrought about.

Maybe they shouldn't use the word bonus then, as I think the word clearly implies a discretionary payment. Commission could be a much better word if applicable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Someone came up to me yesterday and said- if they give people on social welfare a Christmas bonus- now that we're all having a hard time- surely we should all get a commensurate bonus (I think she had in mind a weeks extra pay to help pay for food and pressies for the kids, instead of having to borrow more money). I can see where the OP is coming from, even if I've never gotten a bonus myself (despite often working until 9-10PM on Christmas eve, and on all our public holidays- because they weren't necessarily holidays in the US or on continental Europe). Its disappointing if you have come to expect it- most people are envious to a certain extent of those who do manage to get bonuses.

With us- we get a box of apples and one of oranges and we divide the fruit up among us as a Christmas pressie- and then buy our colleagues something small as a little token gesture to each other (a box of chocolates or similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Xcellor

In the last place I worked we got 100 euros worth of bonus bonds. They got rid of this one year. We were all sad. Very sad.

Now I work for a company that doesn't give any xmas bonus and we've been told pay increases are on hold until March :O Ahhh!!

But seriously I'm not pissed about it and no one in these times should be... Ireland and the Irish in general seem to expect and think they deserve it... I'm just happy i have a job and can now afford to buy oil to heat my home!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

OP it seems that the vast majority of people I've spoken to are not getting Christmas Bonus' this year, sure its disappointing, but I guess if it helps keep us in a job next year then I'm all for it.
    The co. I work for have also decided not to give an Xmas bonus this year, (they normally give 1 weeks wages) and they notified all staff well in advance and explained why it was not possible. I for one am happy (maybe not "happy" but willing)to give up my Xmas bonus if it means 1 member of staff can keep their job for at least another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Rarely have i been in a job that gives a bonus. Still, in the hotel industry they could at least offer everyone a free night or two for you and the family once its used at a non peak time that way they do not lose any money.

That aside, its not a right. I do not work directly in the hotel industry but my IT company looks after a lot of the large chain hotels and i know there have been a lot of cutbacks.
    On the other side, it seems the nightclub business has up to double the numbers this Christmas as it did last year.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i work for the government, have never received a bonus and ahve to pay for my own christmas party - not even one free drink

may be it is better to take the redundancy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Most people I know get a Christmas bonus. Lets face it they work hard enough for it and they all speak highly of their employers when they make this effort to show how much they appreciate their employees.
    So it works both ways. Workers have some beer vouchers in their pocket to enjoy a couple of nights out over the Christmas and the employers lap up all the kudos.
    Everyone's a winner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

grahamo wrote: »
    Most people I know get a Christmas bonus. Lets face it they work hard enough for it and they all speak highly of their employers when they make this effort to show how much they appreciate their employees.
    So it works both ways. Workers have some beer vouchers in their pocket to enjoy a couple of nights out over the Christmas and the employers lap up all the kudos.
    Everyone's a winner.
    I wouldn't call beer vouchers a Christmas bonus tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Buzz Buzz

I wouldn't call beer vouchers a Christmas bonus tbh.

Well if not part of your regular renumeration, then its a bonus right?!

We get a voucher where I work, its **** all and a **** store, but at least it acknowledges the fact that I'm constantly required to work through lunch and do overtime at the drop of a hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I've never received a christmas bonus or any bonus not linked to performance.

OP why not make and take your own bonus. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

In my previous two jobs i got a bonus, the first gave me a weeks wages in store vouchers and the 2nd gave 2 weeks wages after 6 months employment, which was pretty decent of them considering they are a shower of Bast***s. In my current job we got a bottle of wine and a box of choccies and a free dinner voucher for the cafeteria. Not great but its better than a hard kick in the face.

Advertisement