Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 Arena Dublin-Accessibility for non Dubs.

• 17-12-2008 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have been a regular visitor from Limerick to concerts in the Point for many years. I usually drove up and down the same evening. Great nights watching Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Oasis,Simply Red,Bread,Gloria Estefan,Bob Dylan,Queen + PR,Blondie,Manics, the list goes on-were spent in that venue.

However, despite the new Arena, it looks like it might be difficult for me to get there in the future. No Car Parking, public transport only to within 20 mins walk of the venue. Basically, as it stands, if I drive up from Limerick on the afternoon of a gig, I will have to stick the car in a multi storey or a park and ride, get the luas in and if I am lucky public transport might get me back to the car before the car park closes.... Maybe I am being too pessimistic here!

Can anyone out there advise me how I might overcome my perceived transport difficulties to the Point (Sorry O2!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

It may not be the best solution but one idea is to park the car in Heuston station - €5 per 24hours- and hop on the Luas as far you need to go. Then walk it the rest of the way. At least the car park in the station is open 24 hour and has security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Connolly Station surface car park, Commons Street multistory and the NCIRL multistory car parks are 10-15 minutes walk away and remain open until after any concert. There is plenty of free on street parking along North Wall Quay (1/2 mile long on the door step of The O2) all day every day too with spaces clearing up around 5pm.

The O2 (note no Arena in the name, thats London) will have it's own multistory car park open next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Are there busses into town after concerts? All I seem to remember is walking and trying to flag down a taxi on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

the red cow p+r might be your best bet, it's 24 hour and the last luas is at 00.30, a 20 minute walk isn't going to kill you and late next year the red line will be extended down to the point.
    gloria estefan???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Yep Id say the LUAS aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Much appreciated. I think I'll give the Red Cow Park and Ride first crack! Maybe the 20 min walk there and back will do me good as well.Cheers.:)

Widescreen wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks! Much appreciated. I think I'll give the Red Cow Park and Ride first crack! Maybe the 20 min walk there and back will do me good as well.Cheers.:)
    Bear in mind it's 20 minutes (less than 15 to be honest) to the LUAS, then your wait ( 10 minutes max), then your LUAS journey of approx 46 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Bear in mind it's 20 minutes (less than 15 to be honest) to the LUAS, then your wait ( 10 minutes max), then your LUAS journey of approx 46 minutes.

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Connolly Station surface car park, Commons Street multistory and the NCIRL multistory car parks are 10-15 minutes walk away and remain open until after any concert. There is plenty of free on street parking along North Wall Quay (1/2 mile long on the door step of The O2) all day every day too with spaces clearing up around 5pm.

The O2 (note no Arena in the name, thats London) will have it's own multistory car park open next year.
    Just thought I'd point out that the O2 won't have any car park (except for performers, I guess). The Point Village were planning on havin one, but with the Luas stop that's being built there, they may not go ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

I bought tickets for my parents to the Tina Turner gig in March. My dad is due to have an operation shortly and will still be on crutches in March with limited mobility. Has anyone any suggestions the best way for them to get from kimmage to as near the o2 as possible? I've checked the o2 website and there is no set down area near the venue for cars or taxis and he wouldn't have a disabled parking badge as its a temporary thing with his mobility.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    Just thought I'd point out that the O2 won't have any car park (except for performers, I guess). The Point Village were planning on havin one, but with the Luas stop that's being built there, they may not go ahead with it.

With the current down turn construction has slowed (or stopped) on it but it has commenced. The car park will be shared of course and not exclusively for The O2.
    Point Village, District Centre and Offices
    Description: 5 storey, 6+1 storey and 7+1 storey District Centre and offices comprising retail, shopping centre, 6 screen cineplex, 200 bed hotel, serviced apartments, offices all over, 3 storey basement car park, plant and ancillary accommodation and stores, including proposed hard and soft landscaping design for Point Square.

Link

The LUAS and car parking were always part of the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Would the docklands dart station not be a close stop?

LeoGilly wrote: »
    500 odd meters, not that there are many (read any) late night services from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

I bought tickets for my parents to the Tina Turner gig in March. My dad is due to have an operation shortly and will still be on crutches in March with limited mobility. Has anyone any suggestions the best way for them to get from kimmage to as near the o2 as possible? I've checked the o2 website and there is no set down area near the venue for cars or taxis and he wouldn't have a disabled parking badge as its a temporary thing with his mobility.
    i'd say email them shortly before the gig maybe with a doctor's note and they'd let him be dropped off, otherwise he could argue the toss with the security guard at the exclusion zone.

dereko1969 wrote: »
    i'd say email them shortly before the gig maybe with a doctor's note and they'd let him be dropped off, otherwise he could argue the toss with the security guard at the exclusion zone.
    No one is going to stop a taximan pulling in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Would the carpark not be kinda reserved for hotel/apartment residents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

There are also shuttle buses running from Eden Quay, Stephen's Green and Amien's Street to the O2 and back on gig nights. TM send out an email for each O2 gig with details about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I got parking there last night on the quays approximately a quarter of a mile from the venue. If you get there a couple of hours before any given show starts you should get parking nearby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Plenty of free parking in Sheriff Street Upper especially after 4 pm. Depending on where you are parked along it, it is at most a 10 minute walk to the Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Last night the unofficial car parks were still very much in opperation. We drove all the way up to the point went around it and there was a car park 5mins walk from the venue. €10 for the night, which was €2 an hour so not bad at all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

With the current down turn construction has slowed (or stopped) on it but it has commenced. The car park will be shared of course and not exclusively for The O2.

Link

The LUAS and car parking were always part of the plan.

Well the car park has nothing to do with the arena itself. The owners can decide not to open it up for use of the O2 patrons at all, if the mood takes them. And I was always under the impression that the carpark areas under the Point Village were specifically for business and residents? I'll have to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

how can they open a large venue like that with no set down, and no parking facilities?!? this country is mad. surely there should be at least a taxi rank.

zuroph wrote: »
    how can they open a large venue like that with no set down, and no parking facilities?!? this country is mad. surely there should be at least a taxi rank.
    Croke Park has no parking facilities available to the public, neither will Lansdowne.

Both work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

nice post, thank you! is that for all concerts? is it a charged service?
    EDIT:
    also found this, might be handy for some
    Liffey River Cruise

Starting Friday 19th December concert-goers can avail of the Liffey Cross River Ferry between Sir John Rogerson's Quay and Spencer Dock or the Liffey River Cruise Ferry from Custom House Quay to The O2.

Liffey River Cruises will also offer a ferry service between Custom House Quay (opposite Jury’s Inn at the Sean O’Casey Bridge) and the O2. This service is to accommodate people who are parking in the IFSC/Jury's Inn Carpark. Spaces in this carpark can be booked through Liffey River Cruises so that drivers are assured of a space. * Ferries depart Custom House Quay at 6:10pm, 6:50 & 7:30pm. After the show the ferries will depart adjacent to The O2 at 11pm & 11:30pm. Advanced booking is recommended. The fare is €4 each way or €8 return.

Concert–goers can also avail of the Liffey Cross River Ferry between Sir John Rogerson’s Quay and Spencer Dock. On Friday 19th this service will run until 12midnight On Sunday 21st this service will run from 6pm to 12 midnight. On Monday 22nd this service will run until 12midnight. * The fare is €2.50 each way or €5 return.

Book these services at www.liffeyrivercruises.com / www.liffeyferry.com or phone 01 4734082.

For concert service information please visit http://www.liffeyferry.com/index_files/Page383.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

I recently parked in Jurys Inn Custom House (€5 for the pleasure), crossed the road and got the Liffey River Cruise barge down to the O2 and back for €8 return. It was pretty handy and quick.

The organisers pretty sound too - you can book everything through their website. So I booked a return ferry trip for 2 and car parking in Jurys. The car parking transaction somehow went through twice (unknown to me) and a guy from Liffey River Cruises called me an hour later to let me know, and reversed the accidental transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,492 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Folks, please don't mention specific events: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054977422

Read here: http://www.theo2.ie/getting-here/
    I would suggest taxi. There are taxi set-down areas, just not on East Wall Road. http://www.theo2.ie/assets/pdf/TransportGuide_Download.pdf - "Set down and pick up for Wheelchair users will be available at the Venue." I suggest you phone them beforehand and/or get there early.
    Connolly-Red Cow would be quite a bit quicker 30-35 minutes. The 46 minutes is all the way to Tallaght.
    LeoGilly wrote: »
    Docklands isn't a DART station - it is an overflow station for peak times for Maynooth line services when Connolly is too busy. Connolly is better suited to handling the crowds after a concert.
    Because cars are the problem and they want to keep them away from the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pete2008

Hi guys

There is parking in the IFSC Car Park for a fiver. Great value!I parked there for Mighty Boush the other night. It was a 2 mins walk up to 02 and avoided all the traffic up the quays. I recommended it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Pete2008 wrote: »
    It was a 2 mins walk up to 02

2 mins? Are you Usain Bolt?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Pete2008

Ok maybe about 5 mins but beat watching people going mad on quays.

Many Bus Éireann route 126 services are now running to/from Docklands station. Late evening departures are from Connolly Luas stop.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1229705108-126.pdf
    Pete2008 wrote: »
    Ok maybe about 5 mins but beat watching people going mad on quays.
    To be honest, 10-12 is more realistic, especially with crowds.

http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

sorry for wandering off the main point of the thread but i was wondering if anyone knows for sure if i would be allowed into the wheelchair/disabled area of the venue if i am on crutches? i am going to a gig soon in the O2 and I have a standing ticket and i am a bit worried about being crushed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

sorry for wandering off the main point of the thread but i was wondering if anyone knows for sure if i would be allowed into the wheelchair/disabled area of the venue if i am on crutches? i am going to a gig soon in the O2 and I have a standing ticket and i am a bit worried about being crushed.

Id say you will but not 100%. If you can make it to the O2 early and get into the pit and just stand at the back of the pit you wont have to worry about getting crushed and you should still have a good view

If i was you I'd try contact the venue in advance, they may issue you with a special pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

They also provide shuttle buses on gig nights to St Stephen's Green, Eden Quay and Connolly Station. Pretty soon the red line will extend all the way to the O2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

If i was you I'd try contact the venue in advance, they may issue you with a special pass.

i rang their general enquiries line and they just advised me to stand at the back. here's hoping i can swap with someone for seated tickets!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There are plans for a park and ride near the O2 that will be specifically used for concerts that are on there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

i rang their general enquiries line and they just advised me to stand at the back. here's hoping i can swap with someone for seated tickets!!

Depends on which show you're going to.
    If it's sold out then obviously you're unlikely to get a seated ticket. If it's not then I would imagine that the ushers will accomodate you if they can. I was there recently and found them all to be a most welcoming and friendly bunch. The Wheelchair area is very good as well and gives the wheelchair users a very good unobstructed view. There doesn't seem to be any problem with dropping somebody off outside either.
    Around the back of the standing area will give you a fine view as well and there seems to be plenty of space there to move around with no fear of being crushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 chelsea_F

hey guys, im goin to Lady Gaga in the 02 on the 27th October. I live in virginia (cavan) and i dont know how to get there? i wil be gettin the bus so can anyone recommend where to get the bus to? also, where do we go to get the bus back to cavan afterwards?

If its a Bus Éireann bus, it will likely go to Busáras or one of the nearby stops. You can then walk or get the Luas direct from Busáras to The Point. Realise the Luas may be busy.

If its a night-time show, I'm not sure if there will be a suitable late bus service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement