Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subaru Gone from WRC

Options
  • 16-12-2008 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

So sad, the sport is a victim of the economics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Fupping hell.

http://www.wrc.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&id=3541&desc=Subaru%20pulls%20out%20of%20the%20WRC

Thats the WRC finished so, it's suck a f***ing shame, I love the sport. The excitment of the WRC is just so great. The FIA are going to have to shake up the sport soon. It needs more TV coverage, get it out there to the public.

I am off now to break some stuff:mad::mad::mad:

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I think Suzuki is also gone.

Rabies wrote: »
    I think Suzuki is also gone.

Yeah it is. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442112

Bye Bye WRC:(

It will have to be renamed FCRC Ford Citroen Rally Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Fecking shame really is, was looking forward to seeing them in january. I wonder wat solberg and atkinson are gonna do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

Looks like the WRC mightnt be around for much longer so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

h3000 wrote: »
    Yeah it is. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055442112

Bye Bye WRC:(

It will have to be renamed FCRC Ford Citroen Rally Championship

what makes you think ford wil be able to run a rally team next year they are bankrupt ( or for that matter citroen) its not looking promising for the wrc next year

what makes you think ford wil be able to run a rally team next year they are bankrupt ( or for that matter citroen) its not looking promising for the wrc next year

Not a lot at all.

As I said above Bye Bye WRC. Hopefully the IRC will take off.

EDIT:
    Hopefully the new WRC regulations in 2010 should reduce the costs of the sport and we might get to see some of the old teams back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

That is really really sad news. Its going to be just a load of privately run teams now I reckon. like kronos ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

BFassassin wrote: »
    That is really really sad news. Its going to be just a load of privately run teams now I reckon. like kronos ect.
    Yep, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is it just Ford and Citroen left ?
    If you look at all the manufacturers that used to be in the sport at the highest level.
    Toyota, Peugeot, Subaru, Audi, Mitsubishi, Lancia all provided world champions and then the other manufacturers like Mazda, Renault, VW, Suzuki, Nissan, Hyundai and Skoda have also moved on.
    Can the WRC can't survive on a couple of manufacturers.
    It is too expensive nowadays for a privateer.
    Loeb for another title anyone :mad:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Bad news indeed for the WRC as a championship of calibre. Hopefully Prodrive will have a team together for 2010.

Peugeot, Toyota, Fiat and others could well be back for the S2000 WRC regulations in 2010 too.

Here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Sad Sad day............... :(

colin-mcrae-subaru-impreza-wrc.jpg
    Colin Mcrae 1995

18201423_b6XML-S.jpg
    Petter Solberg 2003

Gutted...................

Subaru will be a loss to WRC but I realy hope Solberg and Atko a drive next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Might see a Prodrive attempt again to get into F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

zeris wrote: »
    Are they going to try and buy Honda?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Richards and Honda have previous but why would you buy an expensive failure when Prodrive could start from scratch cheaper. At the same time Prodrive would have to pay the FIA deposit, not get any FOM earnings for a season and have missed the entry date for 2009.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 corkbird

It is such a shame..won't be the same without either team..however, still excitment to be had surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Richards and Honda have previous but why would you buy an expensive failure when Prodrive could start from scratch cheaper. At the same time Prodrive would have to pay the FIA deposit, not get any FOM earnings for a season and have missed the entry date for 2009.

The cost of buying the team would be substancially lower that the actual value of it and would without doubt be trimmed down by who ever buys it. Their factory and facilities are second to none and would mean no investment needed on that side of things by the new owner. I have a feeling that Honda would accept any reasonable offer just to get some kind of return on it.

The FIA and FOM situation would be quickly sorted I'd say along with missing the entry date. The FIA don't want to see a dwindling grid and Bernie is now in breach of contract with all the TV broadcast rights holders because of only 18 cars on the grid. Their contracts guarantee a minimum of 20 competitors. No doubt they'll be looking for discounts or money back.:)
    Even talks of asking teams to run a third 'non points earning' car to make up the numbers.

Anyway, back on topic. Sad to see Subaru and Suzuli drop out. Can't really see the WRC being as popular without them. Just when we get on the WRC callender it looks like the whole thing is going to callapse.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

Said on news yest that there still doing Ireland rally in jan but thats it.think theres summet on rally.ie too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Said on news yest that there still doing Ireland rally in jan but thats it.think theres summet on rally.ie too

Think you'll find that's the privateer Adapta WRT with Mads Ostberg and one other unnamed driver. There will be no SWRT at Rally Ireland unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Not a good idea to try and get into F1 these days.
    The whole motoring world is facing tough times and there ain't the money out there anymore.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Good call I didnt think of that. Did anybody see that statement from prodrive? Dave Richards said that the rally team only made up 20% of their revenue. So it means that this wont cripple them as they will re-organise.

Prodrive make a lot of their money from providing competition cars to others AFAIK.
    Thus their own rally team is a subset of this.
    Of course Subaru will probably shelve the continuing design of the cars ?
    Anyway lot of parts of cars are British designed and built.

Also they have had involvement in GT series & Le Mans with Ferrari and Aston Martin. Richards was also involved in buying back Aston Martin from Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Prodrive also own Ford Performance Racing, one of two works teams in the V8 Supercars Australia championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

OMFG Just Ford and Citreon,

Come on people what stupidity is this.

</rant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

barnicles wrote: »
    OMFG Just Ford and Citreon,

Come on people what stupidity is this.

</rant>

I know, this recession is annoying me, why are companies not spending money they don't have!? GOD! They're so stupid!

Advertisement