Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenario no.1 - What would you do?

Options
  • 08-12-2008 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

I think it could be interesting if we could compose a scenario every now and then and everyone can contribute their ideas as how to best survive the situation. This way we can apply (sort of) all the theory we've been discussing up till now. Here's mine:

You're on a double decker bus coming home from Dublin city, it's cold and getting quite dark. You have a backpack with some sandwiches, a bottle of water and lots of books (I'm a student). You are almost home and you live in a moderately populated suburban town that backs onto farmland and wooded areas. (Long story short here) someone on the bus was bitten earlier during some riots outside the dail and 20 minutes from home they become zombified and bite some of the passengers, the bus screeches to a halt on a dark, quiet road with plenty of semi- detached houses. You see up the road there is car wreck and what looks like a small number of zombies wandering around. The remaining passengers flee, and you are faced with a number of choices:

Keep pressing forward towards home to alert your family, this would involve getting around the z at the car crash.

Backtrack towards the city in order to find a police station or a safe place to ride the infection out

Head towards the farm on the nearby hill, this farm backs onto more farms and wooded areas (like suburban wicklow)

Get into one of the nearby houses.

So what would you do?

(These are real zombies i.e. they do not sprint and perfrom acrobatics ala Dawn of the Dead remake)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Valmont wrote: »
    The remaining passengers flee

So what would you do?
    Overtake them.

Head for the farm - good chance of continuing food supplies into the future, good chance that there would be a gun or a wide variety of potential weapons (farm tools).

Also if it's an old farmhouse, it might be designed in a way that makes it more easily defended than a modern house - i.e smaller windows, narrower staircase, thicker walls (helps to muffle noise), etc.

In my experience, a lot of farmhouses use solid fuel stoves, like Stanleys, etc. This would prove invaluable in the winter months (even in summer, for cooking), as you wouldn't have to rely on a gas network / oil supply that would fail eventually after Z-day.

The relative isolation of the house might be a deterrent in that you may not encounter as many Zombies as a built up urban area. I could go on and on, but we'll see how this thread flows from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I like to think I'd be up for warning/saving the family, but in my head I know I'd sh*t myself.

Logically, the farmhouse would prolly be the best bet. Strong, secure, possibility of weapons, and a classic last stand.

Pressing onwards home, passing the zeds, you could make it past ok, but then you run the risk of possibly getting overwhelmed by them, or leading them back to your family, if they are not already done for.

The houses nearby, I don't think so, I know if I was in one and heard the commotion like that outside, I'd be pretty unwilling to let a stranger in. Also, most newer houses, you could kick your way through the walls, damn our previous building bubble.

Going back to a highly populated area, probably a bad idea, for obvious reasons. The thought of going to a garda station does not inspire me with confidence, no offence to the gardai, but I fancy my chances without them.

Interesting idea, keep it coming, I'm going to come up with some myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

i'd search the nearby farms for weapons and food and dump the books :)
    then i would ring the family as the phones should be ok as the contagion had just broke out and find out if it is ok to head to them or for them to try and head towards me and either way we could find a defensible building to hold up in

watched 2 Z movies yesterday, Day of the Dead (2008) and Resident Evil Degeneration and still have Zombie Strippers to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

superfly wrote: »
    i'd search the nearby farms for weapons and food and dump the books :)
    then i would ring the family as the phones should be ok as the contagion had just broke out and find out if it is ok to head to them or for them to try and head towards me and either way we could find a defensible building to hold up in

That sounds like a good plan, why go there when you can ring? Also the farmhouse while still close to the town is still a bit out of the way but there is the farmer to worry about! The farmhouse would be a good place to get supplies and to see how the infection pans out via radio or t.v (if the farmer like you!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

First of all, I'm thankful I don't live in Dublin. Zombies or no zombies.

The only thing zombies have going for them is fear. By all other accounts their extremely inferior to live humans. I'd whip out my trusty hammer, or find the heaviest bar to do some clobberin'. If nothings at hand I'll just walk past the zombies collect my family and head out into the country to find a fortified structure like a factory or post depot.

In my Rural plan, all zombies would be killed on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Take the bus, and knock the zombies over, drive it home?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

First of all, i'd dump the books. Then i'd head for the farm, to find some more supplies and hopefully, a useable weapon. Next, i'd try and contact my family and closest friends to let them know that i'm alright, and that they need to gather some supplies (especially warm extra cloths), get out of town, and to meet up with me somewhere remote. If i couldnt reach them via the phone, i'd start the journey home by either stealing a car, or staying on foot (depending on distance and amount of Z's there are about). Once i met up with them, we'd make our way out of town, and find a remote defenceble place to stay.

Well, either that or die horribly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

dump the books, smash the window on the top floor of the bus to avoid the Z downstairs, hopefully making it walk up the stairs while i climb out, dump the books. keep the water and head straight to the farm trying to get off the road as fast as possible and then taking it slowly as not to draw attention from the Z's at the crash site. take the axe thats in the stump outside the farmhouse (where they chop wood :P
    theres always one about) enter the farmhouse slowly and try and determine whether the farmers now a z and try and figure out how many other family members there are from the number of beds around the place. after this as said above ring the family tell em to kill anything that moves slowly towards them (including any OAP's hanging about..... freakin deliquents) after this I'd search the rest of the land (quietly) looking in the barns for weapons then just lay low in the attic with as much tinned food as I could muster..... and a sheep..... for 2 reasons, heat off the wool and food

if this were to actually happen though I'd probably head straight into the reserve defence forces HQ, pick me up a styer, pistol, grenades "aquire" a 4x4 and hit either gormo or the curragh (during this I'd pick up my thai fighting sword for close range combat)

keep these scenarios coming there interesting to see other peoples reasctions :)

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    and a sheep..... for 2 reasons, heat off the wool and food
    I was worried there for a minute :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

I like to think I'd be up for warning/saving the family, but in my head I know I'd sh*t myself.

Logically, the farmhouse would prolly be the best bet.

So you'd sh1t yourself at the sight of the undead and abandon your family but would run to a dark unknown farm yard that you don't know your way around and are gonna commandeer a house you have know idea of the state of its occupants!?! If the occupants are alive and well and are seeing whats going on outside and have a 'possibility of weapons', do you not think they would use said weapons on a stranger running into there Yard/house?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

you would be sorted if you had read "world war Z" and the "zombie survival guide" by max brooks. they are excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Scenario2: you are on a ferry crossing from france to ireland. the trip will take 20 hours but two hours into the voyage a person is infected. this quikly multiplies and soon all but a small group of passengers are contaminated. there was a group of people from a shooting club on board and they all had .22 rifles or shotguns. all but one of the shootig partie is contaminated so that means that 6 of the z's have guns while you have one pump action shotgun. lukily you find two flare guns with 10 shots each.

altogether you have 30 shotgun shells 20 flares and whatever other weaponary you can fasion from your surroundings

you self apoint yourself as the leader of your group of 13 and your mission is to get to the navigation area and hold out there while you try to contact irish mainland and hold off the zombies for the remaining 18 hours

daz801 wrote: »
    Scenario2:
    You know what, between this and the toilet thread, maybe we should have a "scenarios" subforum? Working them out could be a lot of fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

First thing I would do is take all the food out of the bag and use it to beat the zombie's head in get all of the infected off the bus.
    Drive the bus through the crash get to my house get my family and sort out food atleast a days worth and then get to a military barracks and pray that there are no soldiers left alive so they cannot take us prisoner or make themselves leader.

Scenario2: you are on a ferry crossing from france to ireland. the trip will take 20 hours but two hours into the voyage a person is infected. this quikly multiplies and soon all but a small group of passengers are contaminated. there was a group of people from a shooting club on board and they all had .22 rifles or shotguns. all but one of the shootig partie is contaminated so that means that 6 of the z's have guns while you have one pump action shotgun. lukily you find two flare guns with 10 shots each.

altogether you have 30 shotgun shells 20 flares and whatever other weaponary you can fasion from your surroundings

you self apoint yourself as the leader of your group of 13 and your mission is to get to the navigation area and hold out there while you try to contact irish mainland and hold off the zombies for the remaining 18 hours

Im guessing all survivors have already rendevoused?
    right start off by heading to the bar, whip up as many molotovs as possible, stick the guy with the shotgun up front with a flare man, whilst having the second flare in the rear, divvy out the molotovs between 4 people including myself 2 up front 2 at rear giving more molotovs to the rear (I will explain why momentarily) ask the gunman where he last say he team and head in that direction surprise the Z's with a molotov to the middle of the group and blast them to oblivion (retrieve guns) and make the gun man give a lil lesson on em :P

after this hit the corridors, to the bridge, upon entering the corridors mill a cocktail behind myself preventing any further Z's from entering for a while atleast. leave 2 .22 rifles in the rear and everything else up front, make way through breidge systematically and slowly taking out as many Z's as possible before entering bridge leaving a molotov at the rear every so often ( at least we can jump through the flames taking only minor burns, the Z's wouldn't realy chance it would they?) kill bridge Z's and and lock ourselves in, wait out the rest of the time til we reach the harbour, leave the bridge onto the poop deck and nick a life boat head onto bull island and make my way from there with the others..... if i like them

Scenario 2

I'm also assuming that the remaining survivors are all gathered together, and everyone else on board has been turned (thats almost 2000 Z's, assuming its the Irish Ferry from Ireland to France). So there's not much chance of clearing out the Z's on the ship with firearms. So its a case of get to the nearest lifeboat and escape, or try kill the Z's on board, probably with fire.

If the ship was on autopilot, we couldnt allow it to reach its destination, as 2000 Z's could easily spread the infection. So first things first, we need more guns. Find and kill the gun club members, without using fire, as their guns will be damaged in the process. Use a fireaxe (there's generally some lying about on a boat), or the shotgun if your ok firing it. Arm the most competant members of the survivors, and split into 3 teams. 1 group will get a lifeboat ready to sail (with your most trusted member, so that they dont bail on you), and try to stay hidden. The 2 other groups will set some fires on the ship; in the engine room, storage rooms, and any other areas I could get to that would might increase the chance of spreading the fire. Use alcohol/fuel to fuel the fires, and use the flare guns to start them. Then make your way to the nearest lifeboat. Try to stick to more open spaces, as corridors are your enemy in a ship like this. When you do have to use corridors, try and stay to the crew area's, as there will be less Z's around. You'd also need to disable any fire supression systems, which might be a bit of a problem...hmm.

If the ship was dead in the water, just leg it to the nearest life boat and get as far away as possible, then call in the military to firebomb the entire ship ;)

You know what, between this and the toilet thread, maybe we should have a "scenarios" subforum? Working them out could be a lot of fun. :D
    i second that idea.
    And only one scenario at a time, this thread has been hi-jacked with a second scenario already:eek:

A sub forum isnt really necessary imo. Just have a specific thread dedicated to each scenario, and have it stickied for a week. Then its unstickied and we sticky a new one.

So 2000 people get infected in the space of 2 hours? Zombie infection always took hours in any film I've seen other than 28 days. If your dealing with the infected from 28 days you're screwed, plain and simple. Your only hope of surviving the outbreak is lock yourself in a room and then your stuck bar jumping out the window and if you do that without a life raft you'l be dead within half an hour.

With normal slow moving zombies I'd move everyone to a main deck, open a gate and start pushing them off using tables. All the rest of the zombies can be locked inside the ship.

Escaping on a life raft would be your best option but only once your very close to shore or else you could get lost at sea. If the ship is heading towards land it will run aground which is when I'd break out the life rafts. If the ship is just heading out to sea survival is pot luck, there's little hope of controlling the ship, it takes a group of highly trained people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I was hoping we could start new threads for new scenarios? otherwise this could get messy! I hope that you aren't suggesting that zombies can shoot .22 rifles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

EDIT: I'd follow scumlords lead on this one with the slow zombies, isolate and exterminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Find the nearest Virgin megastore or HMV.
    Look for the Westlife/Boyzone section and start lashing those CD/lp's at em just like in Shaun of The Dead. :D

For the boat scenario I'd drop all zombies off at Leinster house where they can all look forward to a long career in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So you'd sh1t yourself at the sight of the undead and abandon your family but would run to a dark unknown farm yard that you don't know your way around and are gonna commandeer a house you have know idea of the state of its occupants!?! If the occupants are alive and well and are seeing whats going on outside and have a 'possibility of weapons', do you not think they would use said weapons on a stranger running into there Yard/house?

I didn't say it would be a good idea, but it would be the best bet. Of the 4 options given, I believe it would be the best to stay alive, and gave my reasons as to why.

Would I abondon my family? I know what I'd like to do, and I know what I would probably do, I don't try to con myself into thinking I'm a big hero, I'm not. Not everyone IS going to be the hero/leader of a crowd of survivors. Someone will have to do the actual work/hard graft.

I didn't say it would be a good idea, but it would be the best bet. Of the 4 options given, I believe it would be the best to stay alive, and gave my reasons as to why.

Would I abondon my family? I know what I'd like to do, and I know what I would probably do, I don't try to con myself into thinking I'm a big hero, I'm not. Not everyone IS going to be the hero/leader of a crowd of survivors. Someone will have to do the actual work/hard graft.

I ain't no hero myself, i'd be the guy throwing babies and grannies at the undead horde to get a few steps ahead! :D
    I just think everyones immediate reaction of go to the farm (like Romeros NOTLD) isn't gonna work nearly as well as everyone thinks. If you were in YOUR farm house and all hell was breaking lose outside, do you think you'd stop to identify friend from foe or would you just let the bullets fly when people start coming up your drive way?

Scenario 3:

You've survived the outbreak. You're hold up in a secure building impenetratable to zombies, you have supplies and the ability to get more supplies. Your part of a community of approximately 200 survivors in the west of Ireland. Zombies show up every so often but you deal with them and run a tight ship. You've developed good techniques for engaging zombies and drawing them away from your base.

Internet is down, the nation power grid is down, you have no contact outside of the country but there are pockets of survivors in other towns.

By assumption you know there must be around 4 million zombies on the island. Do you wait for them to come to you? assemble an army and seek out other survivors then head east knowing that the east coast is probably swarming with at least a million zombies. Try and leave Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Scenario 1

Phones, people. i'd try to ring my family, friends, and local zombie survivor group members. chances are you're close to your home, and anyone on this board usually has an idea of the local 'Z fortress'. get the plan going. i'd scout whatever is nearby to use as a defensive weapon, and then get the fock outta dodge.

Scenario 2
    Read: Max Brooks

Z infection breaks out, and you have guns. the mainland is probably infected, and you better thank whoever invited you onto that boat, cause its now your new home.
    Clear it of z's [into the ocean, best bet] then you have approx. 17 hours to figure out how to stop/turn the boat around... anchor offshore, and watch society crumble.

Scenario 3
    again, read Max Brooks
    The Aran Islands, your new home.
    gather supplies together, get a few trucks, wait till you clear off the current wave of z's and make good speed to a docks. secure a reliable vessel and make for the islands. f yeah.

whoah whoah whoah, can we slow this down a bit?
    I say we leave it to the first author of scenario 1
    and if anyone else wants in on the idea make another thread naming it whatever scenario we're on followed by a .1, .2 etc
    that alright with people?

no more hijacking threads for your own devices!carry on valmont carry on

whoah whoah whoah, can we slow this down a bit?
    I say we leave it to the first author of scenario 1
    and if anyone else wants in on the idea make another thread naming it whatever scenario we're on followed by a .1, .2 etc
    that alright with people?

no more hijacking threads for your own devices!carry on valmont carry on
    They all tie in though. a solution for one scenario might work in an other. Plus we need to learn how to better use limited resources, many threads would be wasteful.
    Kromdar wrote: »

Scenario 3
    again, read Max Brooks
    The Aran Islands, your new home.
    gather supplies together, get a few trucks, wait till you clear off the current wave of z's and make good speed to a docks. secure a reliable vessel and make for the islands. f yeah.
    The problem there is your too isolated. the Arann Islands can't support a human population on their own. You will have to make trips to the mainland for supplies. Your at the mercy of the sea plus there are no secure buildings on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Scenario 1 -
    Like ET did, phone home. I wouldn't go into the farmhouse, could be walking into trouble there. Head for open space with cover here and there, remember these things are slow if you back yourself into a corner you've no chance. Fields would be the best option. Arm yourself with whatever you can.

Scenario 2 -
    Lifeboats and sink the ship, risky but only option I'm afraid , you would never kill that many and there's no where to run to

Scenario 3 -
    Not good, I reckon boat on the shannon is the best bet, you're mobile and hard to reach

• Advertisement

no more hijacking threads for your own devices!
    Subforum ftw...
    ScumLord wrote: »
    the Arann Islands can't support a human population on their own.
    Yeah they can. It wouldn't be pretty, but you could do it. Spuds and lobster for dinner every night, butter from the cattle or goats, actually you know it might not be too bad! Shag all in the way of fruit, but you coudl grow apples away from the windward side, away from salt burns. Bags I Dun Aengus.

Advertisement