Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacies & Generic Drugs

Options
  • 04-12-2008 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I live in a large town in Cork. There are several pharmacies in the town. In each of them, when I ask for a pack of generic ibuprofen, they tell me that there is no such thing licenced for sale in Ireland. They then offer me (more expensive) Nurofen.

When I go into Cork city, I can buy a pack of generic ibuprofen no problem. Is this a scam? Surely they can't be so stupid as to not know what is licenced? In someof the shops I have spoken to the pharmacists themselves, not the assistants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Go into them with a pack of generics and the receipt showing it was purchased in Cork city and see what they say :-)

Of course they're licenced for sale in Ireland, i've purchased generic ibuprofen in Dublin plenty of times. Any drug who's formula is no longer copyrighted (maybe not the correct word to use when talking about medicines) may be produced in a generic form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

What were they charging? I bought some painkillers in Asda for pennys, Aspirin 16 pack for £0.13 and 16 Ibuprofen caplets for £0.32. <- No typos.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

They are scamming you! Any pharmacy should sell generic if you ask for them. I would ask to speak to the pharmacists as it just may be ignorance of the staff. If you get the same answer from the pharmacist you should report them to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

eth0_ wrote: »
    Go into them with a pack of generics and the receipt showing it was purchased in Cork city and see what they say :-)

Of course they're licenced for sale in Ireland, i've purchased generic ibuprofen in Dublin plenty of times. Any drug who's formula is no longer copyrighted (maybe not the correct word to use when talking about medicines) may be produced in a generic form.

Patented is the word ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

yep you can get plain ibuprofen that isnt a brand name tho some pharmacies dont stock it because alot of people will only use the brand names:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Some generic Ibuprofen is even made in Ireland so that's another good reason to buy it!!

http://www.clonmel-health.ie/corporate/index.php?option=com_hotproperty&task=view&id=140&Itemid=99999999

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yep you can get plain ibuprofen that isnt a brand name tho some pharmacies dont stock it because alot of people will only use the brand names:rolleyes:
    The smarter pharmacists will stock generic & branded, and make more profit on the generic.

I get generic iboprufen and solpadeines (paracetomol & codeine phosphate) in my local. They are cheaper and nicer, the iboprufen is nice round sweet pills, and the other tastes nicer when dissolved. And both made here IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

For a list of all authorised products for sale in Ireland you can use:

Authorised medicinal products

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Some generic Ibuprofen is even made in Ireland so that's another good reason to buy it!!

http://www.clonmel-health.ie/corporate/index.php?option=com_hotproperty&task=view&id=140&Itemid=99999999[/url
    ]

Yup and there's another factory not too far down the road in Ballymacarbery - Pinewood medical who make generics for loads of people as well - generic infant ibrupofen syrup we bought from an online pharmacy from the UK was made there!!!. I see Clonmel Healtcare are now advertising on the radio that they have a range of nicotene gum on the market.....and did'nt they produce an altogether cheaper version of the well know cold sore remedy a few years ago called Clonerax ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Bought a 48 tablet tub of Easofen (Ibuprofen) for 5 yoyos in Mitchelstown today.24 Pack of Nurofen cost €8+ I think.On closer inspection they are made by Clonmel Healthcare too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm shocked. I didn't know you could get these generics and have been paying over the odds for Nurofen in the chemists. I haven't seen any alternatives on display. They must be gougers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I bought packets of 30 days supply of generic citrazine hydrochloride for my hayfever from an online pharmacy in the UK for 28p per packet:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

josh59 wrote: »
    I bought packets of 30 days supply of generic citrazine hydrochloride for my hayfever from an online pharmacy in the UK for 28p per packet:D

And can you be sure what these actually contain cetirizine? A lot of internet pharmacies are dodgy enterprises. (Maybe it was just the drug name typo that drew me to your post).

Anyway, the following should be helpful for anyone considering buying from a UK internet pharmacy.
    http://www.rpsgb.org/registrationandsupport/registration/internetpharmacylogo.html

And can you be sure what these actually contain cetirizine? A lot of internet pharmacies are dodgy enterprises. (Maybe it was just the drug name typo that drew me to your post).

Anyway, the following should be helpful for anyone considering buying from a UK internet pharmacy.
    http://www.rpsgb.org/registrationandsupport/registration/internetpharmacylogo.html

Pardon the typo - yes they are legit - won't mention them by name but they have featured on several high profile tv programmes (for all the right reasons I should add)

won't mention them by name
    Why not? please pm me the details if you won't post it.

I got hayfever tablets in the US, about 1/10th what they charge here.

I haven't seen any alternatives on display. They must be gougers.
    They are often behind the counter, not for legal reasons, just are. As I said before the smart chemist would have generics and make more profit on them. People like brand names, my sister buys brand name bleach, yet would buy tesco coke!

rubadub wrote: »
    Why not? please pm me the details if you won't post it.

I got hayfever tablets in the US, about 1/10th what they charge here.

They are often behind the counter, not for legal reasons, just are. As I said before the smart chemist would have generics and make more profit on them. People like brand names, my sister buys brand name bleach, yet would buy tesco coke!

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/ is the one we use. They have a standard charge for delivery regardless of how much you order, we often get our deliveries sent to a relative in the UK who comes over to Ireland a fair bit - as their standard UK delivery is £2.75 and around £8 to Ireland. A girl who works with me here orders 6 months supply of shampoo and conditioner at a time from them reckon she reckons she saves herself a fortune. They sell a lot of the medicines that you can get over the counter in the UK that you have to have a doctors script for here - my wife gets certain medicines for thrush for example

They have a standard charge for delivery regardless of how much you order

Nice one, might ask the sister if she wants to go splits on anything.

Advertisement