Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop Graphic Card Question

Options
  • 03-12-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

I've got a Dell Latitude D620. I've recently tried to put Fall Out 3 on it but the graphic card won't support it. As far as I know its an Integrated graphic card (Intel Media Accelerator 950).

Is there anything I can do for my laptop to improve/replace the graphic card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Jesper wrote: »
    I've got a Dell Latitude D620. I've recently tried to put Fall Out 3 on it but the graphic card won't support it. As far as I know its an Integrated graphic card (Intel Media Accelerator 950).

Is there anything I can do for my laptop to improve/replace the graphic card.

Short answer: No.

Options: buy a laptop with a better gfx card or buy/build a cheap gaming pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If the D620 in the Dell Shop has the option of upgrading its graphics card (usually manufacturers let you add a card for a few hundred euro when you Customise your build) then you can get in contact with Dell's Sales Chat (check the website) and ask them about how much it would cost to have the upgrade. But with every certainty, you will see much better returns on your investment by putting the money toward a desktop gaming pc instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He can't, since he has the intel option its an igp soldered directly to the motherboard. non-upgradable. If he had choosen the quadro originally then maybe but not when you choose integrated graphics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

If you get the D-Dock docking station there's a PCI slot at the back for expansion cards. Chances are a PCI graphics card would work. They're hard come by now, but do exist!

Biro wrote: »
    If you get the D-Dock docking station there's a PCI slot at the back for expansion cards. Chances are a PCI graphics card would work. They're hard come by now, but do exist!

No point, the fastest PCI card available is miles below the minimum spec for the game...if that would even work, there's an open physical PCI slot on the dock? I can only imagine it's not an open one and would have to be encased, in which case I doubt a full card would even fit. Even if so the idea is sound, but again, PCI is such a crippled bus that the best card available wouldn't have a hope of running Fallout 3. Cards are easily bought on any Irish site though, they all stock them. Not particularly good value for money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He can't, since he has the intel option its an igp soldered directly to the motherboard. non-upgradable. If he had choosen the quadro originally then maybe but not when you choose integrated graphics
    dont they just swap the mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Overheal wrote: »
    dont they just swap the mobo

Yep..but he'll be looking at over €300 plus at the very very least.

Well yes but I wouldn't consider that a viable option at all! 300 would probably be a generous estimate, not the mention the Quadro that was offered with that laptop was about the same as a Go7300/Go7400 - still miles below minimum requirements for Fallout 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

another solution, steal friends computer.

i do not endorse stealing in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

No point, the fastest PCI card available is miles below the minimum spec for the game...if that would even work, there's an open physical PCI slot on the dock? I can only imagine it's not an open one and would have to be encased, in which case I doubt a full card would even fit. Even if so the idea is sound, but again, PCI is such a crippled bus that the best card available wouldn't have a hope of running Fallout 3. Cards are easily bought on any Irish site though, they all stock them. Not particularly good value for money though.

Wasn't aware of the spec for the game. There goes that idea then! :P
    FYI though, here's a pic of the D-Dock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Jesper

Thanks all.
    Looks like I'll have to be nice to the gf and try to get a PS3 for XMAS.

Advertisement