Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How is E.U Law superior to Irish domestic Law?

• 25-11-2008 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi!
    Can anyone help me. I am currently doing an Assignment on The Sources of irish Law, i have it nearly finished but my last question is Explain how eu law is superior to irish domestic law? I have about a paragraph so far but this is about all I can seem to find, If any one can help me that would be great I am aiming for about 3/4 page to full page. Even some websites for information would be great. This is all I have so far:

"When Ireland became a member of the European Union in 1973, by a referendum passed by the majority of the citizens, all E.U. laws were enacted into the constitution. When there is conflict between the constitution and E.U. law, the E.U. Law will always be superior. When there are major changes in E.U. Laws under a new treaty, Irish citizens are entitled to vote in referendum whether to incorporate these changes into Irish Law."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I dont know if it is. that may be a trick question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jen000

well i hope not because its a serious assignment. and i found that paragraph of research on citizens information website but cant seem to find much else. Thankyou anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

maybe discuss something along the lines on how the Commission can investigate ireland or any member state where they have failed to implement legislation etc (areas where eu have competence via treaty) and how the european court can over rule,strike down various domestic case law and legislation, they give examples of cases when ireland came before the court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Jen000

Yes thats great thanks, its doesnt seem to be a question that you could have a very long answer to.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

EU Law is directly Effective and Supreme save for a couple of areas. The 1973 European Communities Act provides shelter from aspects of the EU laws and indeed Article 29.2/29.4 of the Constitution in relation to Criminal Justice matters.

There are some sites: http://www.nuigalway.ie/law/Disability_summer_school/Docs/New%202006/Dermot%20Walsh%20European%20Legal%20Order%20NUIG%20Slides.ppt

I'd cite this. You'd need to talk about the Pillars!

Good luck.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Basically, Irelands membership of the EU means that the Union can make laws that apply in Ireland even when they havnt been passed by the dail (article 29.4.19 of the constitution)

Where there is conflict between Irish and EU law, EU law always prevails. Even regarding the constitution.
    Laws made by the EU may automatically become part of Irish law wihtout need for incorporation by the Oireachtas.

Treaties (Lisbon, Maastricht etc) need to be ratified but can be refused by Ireland even if signed. It can always choose not to ratify.

Keep in mind though that a lecturer will want you to source everything so check out librarys and periodicals for extra info.

Start with Van Gend en Loos and note Article 15.2.1:

"The sole and exclusive power of making laws for the State is hereby vested in the Oireachtas: no other legislative authority has power to make laws for the State."

Advertisement