Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI DVD Player - Lidl - €44.99

Options
  • 25-11-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Looking to get a DVD player just so as I can play DVD RW on the tv.
    Is this a decent price? I don't have a HD tv so thats not too important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Most DVD players would be able to play DVDRW discs, so not a major selling point if it does support this.

The HDMI upscaling and other media capabilities are what they are selling.

€44.99 is for nothing, hardly worth your time/effort searching for anything cheaper. Don't expect it to last forever though.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081127.p.SilvercrestHDMIDVDPlayer

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭djb85

Does the USB connection allow you to connect and play files from hdd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

JDxtra wrote: »
    Most DVD players would be able to play DVDRW discs, so not a major selling point if it does support this.

The HDMI upscaling and other media capabilities are what they are selling.

€44.99 is for nothing, hardly worth your time/effort searching for anything cheaper. Don't expect it to last forever though.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081127.p.SilvercrestHDMIDVDPlayer

There is a 3 year warranty...Thats worth time and effort if you don't have a HD DVD player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

pirelli wrote: »
    There is a 3 year warranty...Thats worth time and effort if you don't have a HD DVD player
    True, another reason not to look elsewhere if you are in the market for something cheap and chearful.

To clarify though, it's not a "HD" DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've bought 3 of these, over the last two years, and I think they're great!
    And yes, the usb port can be used for playback of avi, divx, xvid, mp3 and jpeg.
    I use an 8gb usb stick, very handy and quick.

Going to get another one for my Mother for Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

My aunt needs something like this and this is perfect. Def gettin it..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hamish262001

just had a look at this in the shop and it doesn't say divx onit. anyone know if it does play avi files?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭,8,1

I think it says MPEG-4, which is basically the same as Divx.

Am I right in saying that earlier iterations of the LIDL DVD player had WMV playback? Seem to remember that advertised.

Also not a criticism of this player as such, but isn't it about time Divx players include an on-the-fly audio/video re-sync feature (±x ms)? Half of the time video downloads seem to have easily correctable but nonetheless noticeable sync problems.

thanks have just bought so will update later tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭steamboat

djb85 wrote: »
    Looking to get a DVD player just so as I can play DVD RW on the tv.
    Is this a decent price? I don't have a HD tv so thats not too important.

The model# for the player is KH 6519 (black) and KH 6520 (silver)
    Manual for the previous version is here

Be aware that there may be some compatibility issues with this player and some brands of writable DVD - and particularly rewritables. There have been reports that over time the player may fail to read some discs. See here and here.

Still a great deal for €45 - particularly for the HD up-scaling, DivX, and USB capabilities

• Advertisement

Max size of USB Pen Drive supported is 1gig. (Although seems to be that up to around 8gig will work)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

fantastic deal, i have 2, they're amazing... anything you could possibly expect from a standard dvd player... plays all your music, downloaded avi files, photos, etc... take hard drives, memory sticks, and cards. This thing has the lot..

the main reason it's so cheap is because there are no licensed technologies in there... they're all open standards, so they pass on the savings to you! i dload stuff in HD and play it on my hd-tv through this player...

you would expect to pay at least €100 for something this fantastic! and with a 3 year warranty you can not lose... couple that with the great service i always get form LIDL/ALDI, and it's a no-brainer for me...

**just a quick edit - the one that ALDI sell seems to be better than the lidl one! i've heard of (from friends) hard drive and usb stick incompatibilities...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

djb85 wrote: »
    Max size of USB Pen Drive supported is 1gig. (Although seems to be that up to around 8gig will work)
    I cannot comment on this particular player - but all previous models have no problem using an 8gb usb stick. Plus I've seen one hooked up to a 200 gb usb external drive (using seperate power).

As for having problems reading some types of DVD media - I rarely use these for watching actual disks!! I ripped all the kids movies to my Hdd and now just use the 8gb stick. Very easy to use.

Must point out something to anyone from Up North.
    Asda did a DVD player, about 6 - 8 weeks ago, for 22 pounds, that had a usb port, and could also play movies from a usb stick. However, it did not do upscaling, or have a HDMI, but nice and cheap. Don't think they have any ATM :(

Also - just in case there's anyone who is not aware of this, but Xbox 360s are now able to play divx movies via their usb ports. You need to update your xbox for this. Might take a few attempts to download, took me 3 attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Does it come with a HDMI cable? Would you notice much difference in quality when compared to a standard DVD player? I'm not sure wether to go Blu Ray this Christmas or go the cheaper route and get one of these.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Does it come with a HDMI cable? Would you notice much difference in quality when compared to a standard DVD player? I'm not sure wether to go Blu Ray this Christmas or go the cheaper route and get one of these.

I've tried connecting it to a 500gig external with separate power with no luck. I'll try pick up an 8/16gig and based on others comments should work.

Doesn't come with the HDMI cable.

Other than these points it's a good buy and I'd reccommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Cheers for that. Not as good as a deal as the Aldi ones. They came with a HDMI cable as far as I know for the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dubjeff

Hi - I bought another one of these Lidl DVD players a couple of days ago as I liked the 1st one I bought so much, but it wouldnt mount my hard disk which is fat32 80gig. The same HDD does however work on my old Lidl DVD player with is a different model. Has anyone got a fat32 HDD to work on the last Lidl DVD Player ( Silvercrest - Kompernass - KH6520 )?
    Cheers.

Dman001 wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Not as good as a deal as the Aldi ones. They came with a HDMI cable as far as I know for the same price.

tesco have a special on HDMI cables for about 7 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

buy a divx/xvid dvd player, with a usb connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ltoth45

dubjeff wrote: »
    Hi - I bought another one of these Lidl DVD players a couple of days ago as I liked the 1st one I bought so much, but it wouldnt mount my hard disk which is fat32 80gig. The same HDD does however work on my old Lidl DVD player with is a different model. Has anyone got a fat32 HDD to work on the last Lidl DVD Player ( Silvercrest - Kompernass - KH6520 )?
    Cheers.

Yes, I tried, first didn't work, but has some FAT table error in FAT32, I tested with PQMagiq 8, first format, didn't helped (80gb fat32).
    the other sata 120GB worked fine, I have a special adapter for IDE or SATA, but if the communication with PC broke the FAT taqble got rong sometimes.
    Finally I deleted the partition, reformat, copied DIVXs it worked fine for one day, after got rong the player, olways opens and closes the tray, I have to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rustyjonesster

ive been trying to work this out for the pass couple of week now getting my 250gb to be read but if you use swissknife be care ful useing programe because ive deleted my operating system using it, :eek: but i got it back convert up to 32gb as fat32 and it will read it :) not sure how to get the 250gb working anyone have any great idas send em this way

I made a DOS Power Quest partition boot CD, it's easy to use (not under XP)-NTSF and divided 2 partition, PQ can convert FAT32, and marge into one, these took a few minutes :).
    Any question...
    I can send you PQ iso file, if you have real e-mail...
    ive been trying to work this out for the pass couple of week now getting my 250gb to be read but if you use swissknife be care ful useing programe because ive deleted my operating system using it, :eek: but i got it back convert up to 32gb as fat32 and it will read it :) not sure how to get the 250gb working anyone have any great idas send em this way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

have you a link for this?

Hi,
    here you are:
    as you don't have email, I made it:
    bobzboard@gmail.com

To enter:
    www.gamail.com
    Username: bobzboard
    Pw: silvercrest

Bob Z wrote: »