Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surf skools in europe

Options
  • 23-11-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys,
    Thinkin of goin on a surfing holiday next easter or summer. can ye reccoment any gud skools in Europe???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Check out www.ripar.pt. Went there in June 2 summers ago. Couldnt recommend it enough. The town of Praia de Areia Branca is a little quiet and that would be the only drawback but you can get a bus to Peniche in the evening. The accommodation is great and you get to surf morning and evening for the week. It is an hour from Lisbon and was really cheap for eating out etc. The surf instructors we had were great. They constantly are in the water with you unlike other skools I saw where the instructors just stood on beach giving the odd comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mags345

thanks Spider i'll check it out.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

best one i've ever been to is the surf experience in protugal - there are two schools witht he same name - one is german run, and u stay in the holiday home outside the twon of lagos, the other is in the town and run by a mad english guy - absolutely amazing fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Really interested in heading out to one of these places for a surf holiday early next year. Only learning here so nothin too extreme
    Who would you recommend? Not sure if i'll be able to get many to go so can you go solo??Any good deals?
    Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭sickpuppy32

i went on my own to the place in portugal, had great fun, a lot of single people there so we all hung out - highly recommend it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I just booked a trip to Morocco with this place - surfcamp

Going by myself at the minute, fed up waiting for others to decide :confused:

Really looking forward to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Just had a look at that site, looks savage
    Sent em an email re availability for when Im looking to go
    Sickpuppy- Where did you go to in Portugal?
    Any info? Links?
    Really wanna get as much as I can before bookin
    Fed up waiting for others too!!

Aerlingus fly to+from Agadir in Morocco every Sat over the winter for €60 each way, so about €180-190 return incl taxes etc. Happy days.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 suzr

I went on a surf tour to Spain last summer. We traveled around the north coast and had tuition every morning. The guys running it are English. It was great to get to different beaches and see a bit of the country. I'm booking again for next year. The company are called Surf Atlantico.

ta guys for all the links, checked few of em out and that place in morroco looks class, just wondering about the accomadation these surf places offer, have ye guys stayed in em, i presume there decent enough, not lukin for anythin fancy just bit of privacy tho at same time.

• Advertisement

mags345 wrote: »
    ta guys for all the links, checked few of em out and that place in morroco looks class, just wondering about the accomadation these surf places offer, have ye guys stayed in em, i presume there decent enough, not lukin for anythin fancy just bit of privacy tho at same time.

I was onto the crowd in Morocco, they said they have double rooms, not dorm style like a good few of the other camps. They also said I'd probably have the room to myself with no extra single supplement. That's what they said though, I'll let you know if it's true when I get back :pac:

do let me know please. enoy the hol!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

Foz do Arelho in Baleal in portugal is cool. Right next to Supertubos too!

http://fozcamp.com/v1/content/view/16/28/lang,english/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foxymarrylou

will3k wrote: »
    I just booked a trip to Morocco with this place - surfcamp

Going by myself at the minute, fed up waiting for others to decide :confused:

Really looking forward to it :D

Howdy, when you heading there? Thinking of booking for the end of Jan. I went on a Surfari with a crowd called surf-atlantico (www.surf-atlantico.com) in Spain last year & it was awesome. Went alone that time too coz as you say,waiting for people to decide is a headache. Met really cool people & had an amazing week. Craving sun & waves :)

Howdy, when you heading there? Thinking of booking for the end of Jan. I went on a Surfari with a crowd called surf-atlantico (www.surf-atlantico.com) in Spain last year & it was awesome. Went alone that time too coz as you say,waiting for people to decide is a headache. Met really cool people & had an amazing week. Craving sun & waves :)

I'm heading over from 31/01/09 - 07/02/09
    Should be great craic, really looking forward to it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SaabClubIreland

Hi all,

i just came back from Portugal /Ericeira 30 minutes from Lisbon, even in the winter is great and sunny!!

i love Portugal, and the surfing !! Portugal for sure one of the best place in Europe for surfing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Thinking of going on a beginners surf holiday in May so that the weather will have got to a nice warm level.

Looking for somewhere with a good beginner school. Done a few days lessons, have my own beginner board, but want somewhere that will hopefully have me able to stand consistently once the week is out.
    Also, as it will be a couple going, would need accommodation to be of the non-dorm type.

Have been to Lisbon area recently, though didn't surf, so looking at other locations than Ericeira region, France, Algarve, etc.

Anyone got any recommendations on the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pendragon_y2k

mags345 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Thinkin of goin on a surfing holiday next easter or summer. can ye reccoment any gud skools in Europe???

Perhaps one that teaches spelling/English as well as surfing?

i know these schools and there's a lot of fun, you can meet people from all over the world.

these are in Portugal

o4wy2pqs63opj22v.jpg Watch "surf portugal-ericeira-nazare (gipsyonthemove.com)"

re804bja4fozk707.jpg Watch "Peniche Surf Camp promotional video"

5uu0b4cjf8cewumw.jpg Watch "Portuguese Surf Girls"

• Advertisement

I was in Ericiera last summer and saw this surf school taking beginners in at that beach with NSP boards. The beach Ribeira de L'Ilhas is a seriously heavy beach break (from what I saw) where the ASP tour is held. I would not consider this a beginner beach in my opinion. They did go in off rocks where it was a little shallower but still think it was dangerous. The guys I saw in the surf comp had difficulty gettin in and out of the water here. You need your own board in this town as I learnt the hard way (if you are not a beginner).;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i think Ericiera was reviewed in no frontiers this evening, looked good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

Maybe a stupid question - when is the optimum time to go for a surfing holiday in south of france/north spain/protugal? I'd like to go during the summer when the weather is nice, but would you be guaranteed good surf? (i know this is never really guaranteed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

lg123 wrote: »
    i think Ericiera was reviewed in no frontiers this evening, looked good to me.

It was also in the Aer Lingus In-flight magazine this month. Probably the same guy syndicating it. The Eco-lodge accommodation looked really cook, but it’s dear as fcuk. Can’t remember exactly but something like €700+ a week in mid-high season! Ok if u got it full of people. Lots of private accom on the net for there as well.
    Looks great as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pendragon_y2k

Woofer wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question - when is the optimum time to go for a surfing holiday in south of france/north spain/protugal? I'd like to go during the summer when the weather is nice, but would you be guaranteed good surf? (i know this is never really guaranteed!)

Go to magicseaweed.com and choose an area, then if you look through the options you can get a year/month by month review chart of average air,sea temps, swell heights and periods, directions etc.

ibh wrote: »
    It was also in the Aer Lingus In-flight magazine this month. Probably the same guy syndicating it. The Eco-lodge accommodation looked really cook, but it’s dear as fcuk. Can’t remember exactly but something like €700+ a week in mid-high season! Ok if u got it full of people. Lots of private accom on the net for there as well.
    Looks great as a whole.

I stayed in the eco lodges last summer for the week. The accommodation is really nice and it worked out cheap for us as there were 4 of us. The only draw back was that the surf schools in the area in my opinion are a good bit below par. The selection of surfboards was poor and I found some instructors just had no interest (im sure some schools there are good but not the ones we used). Some of us have surfed for over 2 years and they still wanted to give us foam boards. Nice town though and its def worth going there while the ASP competition is on as the clubs and pubs are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

we booked in surfholidays.com last year, saw them on no frontiers last week, we didnt stay in the eco lodges although they look class. We did a more self catering option. We didnt bother with lessons as had all surfed before - stayed in the apartment up by Ribeira d'ilhas - had some great sessions, it was july so werent expecting massive swells but the area was great as a base, apartments were perfect and cheap - drove up to Peniche and down around Lisbon throughout the week as there's an endless amount of surf spots. Ericeira is really nice town - really laid back.

Looking at northen spain this year - heard great things about it. Anyone been?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

Quiksilver surf in Fuerteventura is very good !

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

I'm heading over from 31/01/09 - 07/02/09
    Should be great craic, really looking forward to it.
    hey man,
    i also booked a week in morocco on my own except its 21-28 feb im goin. Cant wait, i was also tired of waiting for people to make up their minds!

Praying to god for waves that week. The recent pics from taghazoute look really really good. Are you staying in taghazoute?

• Advertisement

Decos wrote: »
    hey man,
    i also booked a week in morocco on my own except its 21-28 feb im goin. Cant wait, i was also tired of waiting for people to make up their minds!

Praying to god for waves that week. The recent pics from taghazoute look really really good. Are you staying in taghazoute?

Hey man,
    I'm staying in a place called Tamraght. Think it's pretty close to Taghazoute. The reports are looking perfect alright 5/6ft offshore rights peeling off forever!!
    I'll post up how I get on. :)

Advertisement