Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Levels and Curves

• 18-11-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭

Question for the experts ?

when brightening an image do you use a combination of both Levels and Curves ?

or just exclusively one or the other ?

Thanks
    b

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can do everything levels can with curves, just use straight curves. So I just use curves most of the time. Levels is still useful however.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I use curves through a mask, as per the Guy Gowan method. I'm not an expert but he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Both... and lots of 'em...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Fajitas! wrote: »

so you'd use both on the same image ? would you not be better using one or the other ?
    or do the combine well together when editing an image ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I'm no expert both both on the same image as well, generally Levels first and then curves. Bringing the sliders on levels to the edges of the graph makes a huge difference. Auto Levels does this pretty well actually.

Just remember curves is very powerful and is not just a brightning/darkning tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭kjt

Fajitas! wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As I progress more I am leaning more often to curves but in stages, I rarely do what I want in one go of curves unless I get a perfect shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Are there any good tutorials any of you would recommend on how to effectively use levels and curves? I've used a bit of both but only to replicate effects I've seen done before and I don't REALLY understand what I'm doing properly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well I always go by the trial and error method honestly, works for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Gambler wrote: »
    Are there any good tutorials any of you would recommend on how to effectively use levels and curves? I've used a bit of both but only to replicate effects I've seen done before and I don't REALLY understand what I'm doing properly

I would reccomend the Guy Gowan DVD's

Bought them earlier this year for €60 ea

They are a lot cheaper now, if you know where to get them.

His techniques are non-destructive & logical.

• Advertisement

Just found a couple of his dvds, which one would be the place to start when it comes to levels and curves? "Cosmetic Techniques" seems to be more about portraits or would it also be of use for landscape\general pictures.

I would probably start with the Colour to Mono DVD. That one concentrates on contrast.

Interesting, I'm not a big fan of black and white\sepia photos myself (I'm more about the interesting colours when I can get them!) but it might be a good way to get to grips with some of the principles yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Levels, curves. And curves on selections/masks in GG style.
    I have to second that Colour to Mono DVD. It was my first one and I can't wait for Santa to bring me the other two ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

when using levels and curves , do most of you adjust levels first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I just use curves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭kjt

thebaz wrote: »

Personally I'd adjust levels last if I was using them

I keep away from them. Since learning the Guy Gowan techniques (well getting there) I process using masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

thebaz wrote: »

Generally, I'll do a levels first, then work on curves. Sometimes I might just use curves, sometimes a levels adj. layer works grand on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i would always do levels first

i would be using them to generate all the tones, so you dont want to adjust them after as your then adjusting adjusted stuff if that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

my workflow (via an action) on any/every image is to
    * add the following layers - levels, curves, hue&sat
    * change level to 7/247 to avoid clipping on blacks and whites

then get to work.

Usually add two more layers along the way
    * a duplicate layer of the original image, and apply shadow/highlight to it.
    * a duplicate layer of the above, and perform any localised sharpening to it - eg eyes and lips on a portrait.

The above is probably easier in newer versions - i've only the original CS.

Once every thing is done, save down. Depending on size and type of output, flatten and apply sharpening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I'm a great leveller...

Never use layers but intend to apply myself to learning.

Contrast changes can be very subtle with levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Anouilh wrote: »
    Never use layers....

:eek:

Please, have a look at layers as soon as possible!!! By using layers, you are not altering the original of the picture and you can change, undo and temporarily disable any changes. And these are only few reasons, not the only reasons.

Anouilh wrote: »
    I'm a great leveller...

Never use layers but intend to apply myself to learning.

Contrast changes can be very subtle with levels.

Get thee to a levels adjustment layer!

http://photoshoptips.net/2005/09/16/adjustment-layers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

ThOnda wrote: »
    :eek:

Please, have a look at layers as soon as possible!!! By using layers, you are not altering the original of the picture and you can change, undo and temporarily disable any changes. And these are only few reasons, not the only reasons.

I fully agree with you. I'm like a juggler with too many balls in the air when it comes to post processing. Having tried (and disliked) Photoshop several times I took an easy option and use the curves and levels as explained here:

http://blabpictures.blogspot.com/2009/04/digital-photo-professional-36-adds.html

I think I've tried every freeware graphics editor ever made and for anybody looking for quick and easy options, this is useful:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/forums/topic/1741

Pixia is pleasant to use... and has layers...

Shall get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

You didn't LIKE Photoshop????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Seriously dude, there is no other choice.

For free, Gimp comes closest. But how can you not LIKE PS?????? SUre, at first it may seem overly complicated - but the power you have over any image is unprecedented.

Get PS (beg, borrow, steal, whatever), & learn it, you wont be sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

In fairness, PS is not intuitive, and is not friendly to newbies. It's only that it's been THE image and photo tool of choice for 20 years that has led its menus and tools come to define how everyone/anyone does things.

I must admit, I failed to understand its power until I got to grips with layers and masks. Once I had localised, non destructive editing, there was no going back for me.

For people coming from a typical Windows and Office environment Photoshop makes absolutely no sense. But once the philosophy behind the GUI is explained to you you should catch up pretty quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I rarely use levels, usually just curves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement