Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook email problem

Options
  • 15-11-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I been unable to send or recieve emails in microsoft outlook for the past few days. The message showing is ' pop.iol.ie error(0 8002109) Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (SMPT) email server'.

I got onto BT who did various checks and they said the line was ok. They think it is a firewall problem my end. I have Norton anti virus on my machine. BT said I would have to get onto Symantec or the laptop manufacturer (Sony), which I don't fancy doing.

I have the Norton firewall plus a Commodo firewall. I tried closing both of these and went back into outlook with no success. I also have various anti- spyware programmes like spywareguard, superantispyware,Adaware.

I remember getting a message a few days ago asking me if i wanted to allow access for some programme that I didn't recognize, so I denied access. I think this might be the cause.

Could anyone help?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Groucho10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I been unable to send or recieve emails in microsoft outlook for the past few days. The message showing is ' pop.iol.ie error(0 8002109) Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (SMPT) email server'.

I got onto BT who did various checks and they said the line was ok. They think it is a firewall problem my end. I have Norton anti virus on my machine. BT said I would have to get onto Symantec or the laptop manufacturer (Sony), which I don't fancy doing.

I have the Norton firewall plus a Commodo firewall. I tried closing both of these and went back into outlook with no success. I also have various anti- spyware programmes like spywareguard, superantispyware,Adaware.

I remember getting a message a few days ago asking me if i wanted to allow access for some programme that I didn't recognize, so I denied access. I think this might be the cause.

Could anyone help?

Many thanks

have you checked you firewall's access permissions?? see if there is anything to do with outlook that has had its access blocked or restricted. i'm guessing this could be the issue.

failing that, throw up a screenie of your outlook account settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why are you using two Firewalls?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Groucho10

Thanks for the advice lads. Not being tech savvy I thought running two firewalls was better than one. I uninstalled Commodo and hey presto the problem was solved. Commodo was also somehow blocking Norton live updates. I will just stick to one in future. thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Groucho10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads. Not being tech savvy I thought running two firewalls was better than one. I uninstalled Commodo and hey presto the problem was solved. Commodo was also somehow blocking Norton live updates. I will just stick to one in future. thanks again.

you were running two firewalls?? didn't even notice that. ya, stick to one. two firewalls gets messy and is hard to manage, as you've discovered. all the best now :D

Advertisement