Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Eagle or common buzzard?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Photo 1 says Buzzard,photo 2 suggests possible eagle, photo 3 confirms buzzard. The white markings underside on 3 are a giveaway. Good photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Buzzard without a doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Sorry Im not very well up on my bird watching :). Im assuming the two must be closely related? the wing patterns on both are very similar.

These guys live in the wooded hill up behind our house, there are 3-4 of these in the area and they really are impressive to watch. The plan is to get a few clearer pics of them over the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

I agree it's a buzzard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

barryfitz wrote: »
    Sorry Im not very well up on my bird watching :). Im assuming the two must be closely related? the wing patterns on both are very similar.

These guys live in the wooded hill up behind our house, there are 3-4 of these in the area and they really are impressive to watch. The plan is to get a few clearer pics of them over the next couple of weeks.

Unless you're in the wilds of Donegal it's currently unlikely you'll have Goldies. They are actually quite different once you've seen both. Try a good book in lieu of the real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 karlkop

barryfitz wrote: »
    spotted this guy at the weekend, anyone able to tell me whether it is a golden eagle or a common buzzard. Sorry for the picture quality its a tight crop and he was miles away.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5Swi_MYbWPdhQmR0wImLAQ
    yeah i would have to agree buzzard i have taken photos a while back and the shape of the wings and the white under side bits thats why i hope to get a good camera to take good shots of these great birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

OP, nice pictures!! And I love the one of the Rock of Dunamaise!! Did you spot the buzzard down there? I see them often over the Heath of Maryborough, not too far away from the Rock.

Advertisement