Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Inspiron 6400 Motherboard

Options
  • 04-11-2008 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi All

My Laptop is not switching on. Battery is dead. I was told that Motherboard is having the problem.

Is it worth to change the motherboard? Could anybody suggest reasonable and reliable source where can i get motherboard.

Thanks,
    Praveen

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you mean the battery is dead? Is it not charging? What spec is the machine? How old is it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Try another battery, if that works it could be a charging issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 pratapani

What do you mean the battery is dead? Is it not charging? What spec is the machine? How old is it?

The battery is not working i understand that battery life is gone. Laptop shop Technician inspected the machine. According to him there is a problem with motherboard. When i switch on all the lights blinks for a minute or so and go's off. it is not booting.

The specification of the machine are given below:

[*]
    1. Inspiron 6400 Duo Processor T2500 (2.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    2. 15.4" UltraSharp Wide Screen WSXGA (1680x1050) Display with TrueLife
    3. Memory 2048MB - DDR2 667MHz
    4. SATA 120GB (5400)
    5. UK/Ireland - Power Cord
    6. Microsoft Vista Capable Logo Label
    7. 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    8. No Floppy Drive Option
    9. 120GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    10. Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive with Software
    11. DVD Cyberlink Decoder Software (No Media)
    12. Record Now and My DVD Software (No Media)
    13. 65W AC Adapter
    14. 9-cell , 80 Whr Li-Ion primary battery
    15. 256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 graphics card, PCI-Express x16
    16. Irish/Spanish - Modem Cable and Adapter
    17. European - Bluetooth Wireless Network Card
    18. Europe - Intel Pro WLAN 3945 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g 54 Mbps) for Duo Processors
    19. UK/Ire (QWERTY) - Internal Keyboard
    20. English - Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    21. PC Restore recovery system by Symantec
    22. English - Microsoft Works 8.5
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

Will it boot directly from the power supply when the battery is removed ?

Dulchie wrote: »
    Will it boot directly from the power supply when the battery is removed ?

No

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    Try another battery, if that works it could be a charging issue.

I tried with some other battery no use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

aw, ****e one. Im just after throwing out an inspiron 6400 mobo literally 2 weeks ago.

I saved a few bits like;

battery
    ram
    cpu
    cpu cooler
    keyboard
    touch pad
    screen

dunno if theyre any good to ya, but shout me up if any of the above can help you out

EDIT:

I actually took it appart and threw out the mobo cause I had the exact same problem you are experienceing

aw, ****e one. Im just after throwing out an inspiron 6400 mobo literally 2 weeks ago.

I saved a few bits like;

battery
    ram
    cpu
    cpu cooler
    keyboard
    touch pad
    screen

dunno if theyre any good to ya, but shout me up if any of the above can help you out

EDIT:

I actually took it appart and threw out the mobo cause I had the exact same problem you are experienceing

What is the battery model 96 cell or 9 cell). I am not sure whether it fits in to Dell Inp.6400. I will let you know my battery model.

Did you try to change Motherboard or enquire about mother board?
    Thnaks,
    Praveen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

nop, never asked dell for replacement. wasnt bothered. it was my mums and she had gotten a way better new laptop in the meantime from her company. so it was more hastle thatn it was worth really.

im not sure but i think its a 6 cell. just a standard inspiron 6400 battery.

nop, never asked dell for replacement. wasnt bothered. it was my mums and she had gotten a way better new laptop in the meantime from her company. so it was more hastle thatn it was worth really.

im not sure but i think its a 6 cell. just a standard inspiron 6400 battery.

Hi
    How much you are expecting for your battery:)

Praveen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Auslander

Hi all,

I've just been looking for a reference on boards to 6400.

I'm having identical problems as described by the poster, is anyone aware of this as being a common problem with these Laptops.

If it is the mobo, is anyone able to explain what the specific fault is, for my tupence I reckon' the bios is not being recognized.

If you don't agree, please tell me what you think, I'm gonna take this one apart tomorrow and would love to know what you think from your own experience of Dells.

Regards in advance

Auslander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

I had the exact same problem too a couple of months ago.

Inspiron 6400 refused to boot via battery or mains, just a couple of blinking lights for a few seconds and then nothing.

I tried a variety of different measures to get it working, putting pressure on the keys, putting it near heat, leaving it alone for a couple of days...it seems to be working fine now. I haven't had the problem for 3 or 4 weeks.

It does seem to be a common error with the Inspiron 6400, if you google 6400 power on problems you'll find a myriad of other cases.

Out of warranty Dell will charge 500 dollars to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

try using just one stick of memory in one mem slot ie swap them to eliminate bad mem, if this doesnt work its the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

having this issue myself. Is it possible to replace the MoBo yourself? how much does one cost? where could i get one?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

having this issue myself. Is it possible to replace the MoBo yourself? how much does one cost? where could i get one?

Ebay, and about 150. Is it really worth spending that much on a 4 year old machine? I wouldn't be so sure, especially since it's not 100% guaranteed to fix the problem.

Advertisement