Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP- Entrepreneur stumped with webhosting!!

Options
  • 29-10-2008 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I need advice badly!

I have recently set myself up as a sole trader and decided to go online. I have registered with a web hosting company and now i dont know what to do next. It was very naive of me to think that all I need to do is register, pay, answer a few questions and "voila" im on the net!!...so far I have:

1/ registered myself as a sole trader
    2/ registered my domain name
    3/ registered with a web hosting company

now i dont know what to do? How do i use webhosting? do i have to make the website myself?

PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You have three options:
    1. Develop a website yourself. Not a good idea unless you've studied design and usability. You'll need to publish it via FTP.
    2. Use templates and content management provided by your web host, if available. Still not the best option as the designs are generic at best.
    3. Contract a developer to design and implement a website for you. The best option, but relatively expensive if you want to do it right.
    [Disclaimer: I'm a web developer. So I'm bound to advise you on option 3. But I'm right. :)]

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭blue4ever

benwavner wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I need advice badly!

I have recently set myself up as a sole trader and decided to go online. I have registered with a web hosting company and now i dont know what to do next. It was very naive of me to think that all I need to do is register, pay, answer a few questions and "voila" im on the net!!...so far I have:

now i dont know what to do? How do i use webhosting? do i have to make the website myself?

PLEASE HELP!

Count to ten – there are plenty of hours in the day.

Firstly all the points are mutually exclusive – but ate all connected to you.

You are ‘registered as a sole trader’ – like joe Bloggs or Joe Bloggs t/a ‘Joe’s Wholesale’?

You now haver to inform the hosting company that you want your domain to direct to their servers.

They will give you some space and FTP access so that you can securely put up HTML etc files on that space. (that’s the shortened version you have to get a web site developed to put up there).

Its up to you regarding who you get to do the web pages – word to the wise – if you have no web/design experiences – get someone to do it – you should focus on selling, marketing promotion let the ‘build’ the store for you. Its very time consuming if you have no experience.

Cheers

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Thanks for all your help guys, i will contact the web host company and sort everything out, cheers all.:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

If you registered a domain name and web space in the same package with the same provider usually they are 'linked' already. To avoid spending much money on a web site (depending on what kind you want of course) you can always find a template on the likes of templatemonster.com and get a web savvy friend to edit it for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marcom Media

benwavner wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I need advice badly!

PLEASE HELP!

Hi,

<snip>

Thanks,

Frank

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Hi,

<snip>

Thanks,

Frank

Hi Frank
    I am also interested in a new site startup
    is it possible to see a site you have built or designed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Marcom Media

delllat wrote: »
    Hi Frank
    I am also interested in a new site startup
    is it possible to see a site you have built or designed?

Hi,

Our website is <snip>

I have also sent you a private message.

Thanks,

Frank

Advertisement