Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Ghost Stories

Options
  • 28-10-2008 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

I love ghost stories and seeing as it is coming up to halloween I think it would be a cool idea to share some of our favourites.
    To get started,I love the vanishing hitchhiker story.
    On a cold and rainy night, a young man is on his way to a party at a local dance hall and on his way there, he happens to offer a ride to an attractive young woman who agrees to go with him to the dance. Everyone at the party found her to be very charming and after the dance was over, the young man offered to drive her home as the night had turned quite chilly. She accepted and because it was so cold out, he gave her his coat to wear.

He asked for her address and she gave it to him and a short time later, they pulled into the driveway of the house where the girl said that she lived and the driver turned to tell her that they had arrived. To his astonishment, she was gone! The passenger seat of the car was empty, although the door had never opened - the girl had simply vanished.

Not knowing what else to do, the man went up to the door and knocked. An elderly woman answered the door and he explained to her what had happened. Right away, she seemed to know exactly what he was talking about. The young girl he had taken to the dance was her daughter - but she had died ten years before in an auto accident.

The horrified young man didn’t believe her, even though the name of the girl he had taken to the dance and the woman’s daughter were the same. In order to convince him, the old woman even told him where to find the grave of the dead girl in the local cemetery. The young man quickly drove there and following the directions he had been given, found the stone with the girl’s name on it. Folded neatly over the top of the marker was the coat that the girl had borrowed to ward off the night chill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I love ghost stories and seeing as it is coming up to halloween I think it would be a cool idea to share some of our favourites.
    To get started,I love the vanishing hitchhiker story.

Ah jesus Chatbox, are ya trying to scare the b*llocks outa me?? :(:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

None in particular, ones my Dad used to tell me about banshees when I was child I suppose. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh, I have an old thread for real life spooky threads... might bumpy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Ruu wrote: »
    None in particular, ones my Dad used to tell me about banshees when I was child I suppose. :)

Hehe! The 7 year old I mind has recently discovered the banshee. We were discussing what she'd be for halloween because she didn't want to be a vampire (again). "The banshee knocks three times on your bedroom window and when you look out she screams at you! Then someone dies." Is it just me or are kids horror stories scarier than ours? I only remember the banshee was supposed to cry. :)

She also mentioned "Mary in the mirror". If you say "Mary" 3 times in front of the mirror she comes and scratches your face.

There's a big white house out in the forest I walk in here. When I was little my friend told me of a ghost who used to play on the swing in the garden there. A girl who's husband had gone off to fight in the war and died. She'd been so upset when she found out that she drowned in the lake by the house and now haunted the house waiting on her husband to come back.

I think it stayed with me because it was pinned to a house I see alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Alicat wrote: »
    Ah jesus Chatbox, are ya trying to scare the b*llocks outa me?? :(:p
    Not if you want the b*llocks to stay in there :P

/sorry couldn't resist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I found an altar in Saint Annes as a kid.

Was too young to remember what exactly it was an alter to... found it with my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

St Annes?

My great grandad it'd be lived in Kerry near-ish Tralee. My granny heard this story from him whereby he'd been walking home with some friends when they saw one of their friends, obviously they said hello, etc, the guy waved back and carried on.

Twas only when they got home they remembered he was dead. :/

St Annes?

My great grandad it'd be lived in Kerry near-ish Tralee. My granny heard this story from him whereby he'd been walking home with some friends when they saw one of their friends, obviously they said hello, etc, the guy waved back and carried on.

Twas only when they got home they remembered he was dead. :/

St biggest park in Ireland? In Raheny?

Was way too young to take in details but wish I was older when I found it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

My favorite ghost story is one my dad told me about when himself and my mom rented a house out in the countryside in Sweden this is before I was born but my oldest sister was with them.....
    Doors slamming and footsteps from the attic, makes me shiver just thinking about it as I know my dad would not be a great believer or anything but they had to leave in the middle of the night as it was freaking both of them out......
    but my mom has told me a few more but none really scary just about ghosts she's seen and that kinda stuff.....

• Advertisement

SDooM wrote: »
    St biggest park in Ireland? In Raheny?

Was way too young to take in details but wish I was older when I found it.

I wish I'd heard of it. :(

I had Herbert Park nearby when I was a little 'un and my dad liked the Phoenix Park (and no, not like that :pac:) so never really went anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

One of my aunts once told me that my great-grandmother was walking home one evening and saw a banshee and when she got home , somebody in the family had died!:eek:

My dad also told me about a guy he knew who walked home through a 'fairy field' ( I think that's a field with a fairy tree in the middle of it) and couldn't find his way out i.e. the gate had disappeared !:eek: But then again, he may have had about ten or twelve pints on him at the time! :D

Anybody know any Dublin ghost stories? Apparently it's one of the most haunted cities in the world!

Acacia wrote: »
    One of my aunts once told me that my great-grandmother was walking home one evening and saw a banshee and when she got home , somebody in the family had died!:eek:

My dad also told me about a guy he knew who walked home through a 'fairy field' ( I think that's a field with a fairy tree in the middle of it) and couldn't find his way out i.e. the gate had disappeared !:eek: But then again, he may have had about ten or twelve pints on him at the time! :D

Anybody know any Dublin ghost stories? Apparently it's one of the most haunted cities in the world!

My dad's uncle's farm has a fairy field in it. It's just an old settlement I think.

My dad's uncle's farm has a fairy field in it. It's just an old settlement I think.

Like a stone age settlement or something?

The way people used to believe ( and fear in) the 'little people' in Ireland is actually quite un-nerving. Has anyone read 'The Burning of Bridget Cleary'? Apparently her family murdered her because they believed she was an imposter and the real Bridget had been stolen by fairies. :confused: This was back in the 1800's. Not really so long ago...:eek:

Acacia wrote: »
    Like a stone age settlement or something?

The way people used to believe ( and fear in) the 'little people' in Ireland is actually quite un-nerving. Has anyone read 'The Burning of Bridget Cleary'? Apparently her family murdered her because they believed she was an imposter and the real Bridget had been stolen by fairies. :confused: This was back in the 1800's. Not really so long ago...:eek:

Yeah, something of that nature.

Easy to forget how ignorant peasant populations have been up until very recently. When the Italians fought in the trenches in WW1, only the officers spoke Italian. France was the same at the time of Napoleon.

Uneducated peasantry would have seen frighteningly little cultural change over periods of hundreds of years. In our case, people still remembered often in a garbled way the old Celtic traditions.

The Irish are renowned for being superstitious and a lot of that would stem from the fact that with a mixture of poverty and deliberate policy, poor Irish people were kept uneducated until the 19th century really.

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Mine would be about an exorcism that is supposed to have happened in my dads home town. It's very believable as the window to the room has been boarded as long as I can remember, every other window is fine. Remember my brother and me planning to try and get into the room some halloween, only 13, so the plan wasn't very well thought out.:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

Yeah, something of that nature.

Easy to forget how ignorant peasant populations have been up until very recently. When the Italians fought in the trenches in WW1, only the officers spoke Italian. France was the same at the time of Napoleon.

Uneducated peasantry would have seen frighteningly little cultural change over periods of hundreds of years. In our case, people still remembered often in a garbled way the old Celtic traditions.

The Irish are renowned for being superstitious and a lot of that would stem from the fact that with a mixture of poverty and deliberate policy, poor Irish people were kept uneducated until the 19th century really.

Indeed. Though we do have so really interesting folklore as a result, I hope it doesn't die out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

The one with the very wealthy old lady who was buried with her very very rare jewellery, where a very poor man needs to feed his family, so he becomes a grave robber...but he can't pry the rings off her fingers, so he cuts her fingers off, and runs back to his house. (Cue me and my siblings/friends pulling blankets over our heads and my mother shining a torch upwards to her face) the man makes it home, locks himself in his room and hears some creaking about 20 minutes later, scratching at the door and the old woman bursts in with her wrinkly old bleeding knuckles screaming, "GIVE ME BACK MY FINGERS!"

Used to terrify me.

Rozabeez wrote: »
    The one with the very wealthy old lady who was buried with her very very rare jewellery, where a very poor man needs to feed his family, so he becomes a grave robber...but he can't pry the rings off her fingers, so he cuts her fingers off, and runs back to his house. (Cue me and my siblings/friends pulling blankets over our heads and my mother shining a torch upwards to her face) the man makes it home, locks himself in his room and hears some creaking about 20 minutes later, scratching at the door and the old woman bursts in with her wrinkly old bleeding knuckles screaming, "GIVE ME BACK MY FINGERS!"

Used to terrify me.

:eek:

:eek:

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm sorry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Used to terrify me.
    He got to keep the rings though?:D

I'm sorry :(

*mouth still ajar, slowly whispers ".....It's ok...." and runs to corner of the room to huddle in a safe place*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Used to terrify me.
    This happened (without the lady turning up at the door) near Longueville in Mallow, she was in a crypt and in a coma,when the grave robber sawed at her fingers she woke .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Yea I love the short simple ghost stories....

Like the one about the lady who was visiting her husbands grave with a bunch of flowers. As she was walking through the graveyard she saw two men digging a grave, as she passed them a flower fell from her bunch. It struck her how alike the men looked.

After tending the husbands grave she set to leave the graveyard and on her way out spotted the flower she dropped. At this spot their should have been a freshly dug grave, instead there was an overgrown grave with a worn out photo of the 2 men she had seen digging the grave. The 2 had been killed when a tree fell on that night some 20 years earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OH I have a few of these!

Earliest one I remember was as a child, waking up to see a figure at the end of my bed. In my childs head it was a witch (looking back it was an old woman with a hood). I screamed and she lept at me with her hands out to choke me. My poor mother and father came running in thinking I was being murdered! This could have been a dream, but I was looking at her for a few mins and was sitting up, trying to climb out of the bed, when she jumped so I've often wondered.

Another one, was in the house where my parents now live. I was sitting up with a friend one night and started hearing a cry, like a newborn baby (it's very distinctive). Right outside my bedroom window. It's a country area, so the first thing to mind was "it's a fox/cat" but it was so loud as to almost be ear splitting, and my friend, who was sitting in the bed with me, couldn't hear it. That was terrifying. I heard it a few times since.

Someone I know does not believe in hosts, or so he'd say, but he told me recently that as a boy, he was walking into a house, as he walked in, he met an old man walking out so he stepped aside for him. Just as he stepped aside, one of the huge old slate tiles fell from the roof, landing just where he was standing. It would have definately killed him!

Advertisement