Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

books to improve!advice needed!

Options
  • 23-10-2008 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all!
    Could you please advise good books which could help to improve the technical side of my photography.
    I have plenty of ideas, but very often final results are not what i want. I've read few books,I've learnt the basic, but now it's just not enough.
    Ideally i would do some photography course,but the problem is they are all entry level (at least here in Galway) or i'm missing something?
    Sometimes i'm looking at the pictures of great photographers and i'm just dying to know "HOW?How did they do it?"
    Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

"understanding exposure" by bryan peterson. Always recommended around these parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    "understanding exposure" by bryan peterson. Always recommended around these parts.

+1 to that. You CANNOT go wrong with it! Get it on [url]www.amazon.co.uk:[/url])

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazydaize

+1 again. it´s the best photography book i´ve read starting off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hughes and Hughes have it in Swords. I have bought it for other people too.

However, if you don't mind, the book I am going to get for myself next is one by Michael Freeman - Mastering Digital Photography His Photographer's Eye book is also very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

+1, can't recommend this enough .. was the book that finally made me understand the whole aperture,depth of field, focal length relationship..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Thanks guys, just ordered 'Mastering Digital Photography' and 'Understanding Exposure' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Hah.. it's been a while.. Let me see if I can still remember...

Understanding Exposure and Learning to see creatively. Both Bryan Peterson.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

u-la-la wrote: »
    Hi all!
    Could you please advise good books which could help to improve the technical side of my photography.
    I have plenty of ideas, but very often final results are not what i want. I've read few books,I've learnt the basic, but now it's just not enough.
    Ideally i would do some photography course,but the problem is they are all entry level (at least here in Galway) or i'm missing something?
    Sometimes i'm looking at the pictures of great photographers and i'm just dying to know "HOW?How did they do it?"
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Instead of reading books. Just go out & experiment. HTe blessings of a digital DSLR is that you can delete all the bad photos instantly & without spending money of developing films.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭davmigil

+1 on the Bryan Peterson books

ww.bookdepository.co.uk have free shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

u-la-la wrote: »

Why not join the local Camera Club ? You should have all of your questions answered there no problem and you will get a chance to put what you know into practice on outings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Join a camera club and get the book everyone has mentioned, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

davmigil wrote: »

I too bought the same book by Bryan Peterson and got it at the bookdepository. €13 incl shipping...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think the camera clubs, boards meetups, pix.ie meetups, and other get togethers are great ideas - to lock heads with other like minded peeps, but its great when you're sitting by the fire or in the dead of night wondering why the f'n hell your shot didn't turn out, or want to get into the detail/theory of a technique to have printed reference material available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

davmigil wrote: »

Thanks for that, just cancelled my order with amazon and saved €12 :)

Advertisement