Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help ! Fan/heater on the blink

Options
  • 21-10-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a problem with my Nissan Almera and dont know a whole pile about cars. The fan/heater stopped working last night unless its on the most powerfull setting.

Any ideas on the cause/solution of this?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your heater motor resistor pack is most likely faulty. Basically it employs various resistances to slow the fan down but at the highest setting the resistor pack is by-passed - this is why your fan still works at full speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I have a fan heater problem as well. Recently my heater blows out cold air no matter what temperature I turn it to, then sometimes it works fine???

Anyone know whats casuing this to happen?

After doing a bit of searching and reading I think it could be the thermostat.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/FAQ/1120

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

crosstownk wrote: »
    Your heater motor resistor pack is most likely faulty. Basically it employs various resistances to slow the fan down but at the highest setting the resistor pack is by-passed - this is why your fan still works at full speed.

Thanks for the reply. I just checked it again there and the fan doesnt work at settings 1-3 but works on setting 4 and the heat comes out then. This still sound like the resistor pack?

If so, are these expensive?

And, is it a very urgent repair? What I mean is, is it ok to use the car for a few days as I cant see a mechanic til friday !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I wouldn't consider it an urgent repair as long as you can live with the fan running at full speed.

I've no idea of the cost - sorry. Ring your mechanic and he'll be able to get you a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

GigaByte wrote: »
    I have a fan heater problem as well. Recently my heater blows out cold air no matter what temperature I turn it to, then sometimes it works fine???

Anyone know whats casuing this to happen?

nice POST stealing :P but anyways - have you checked your coolant level :eek:
    if there is no water in the system then its not gonna get to the heater matrix under the dash

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I just checked it again there and the fan doesnt work at settings 1-3 but works on setting 4 and the heat comes out then. This still sound like the resistor pack?

And, is it a very urgent repair? What I mean is, is it ok to use the car for a few days as I cant see a mechanic til friday !

http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=70790

http://www.allcarspares.co.uk/product.asp?pID=9090&cID=90

JoeySully wrote: »
    if there is no water in the system then its not gonna get to the heater matrix under the dash

I didn't want to start another thread for fans. :p

I'll check the coolant levels when I get home later but I would have thought if there was no coolant in the system I would have had an over heating engine?

Thanks for the reply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

rarnes1 wrote: »

i had the same problem with my car. 1_ 3 were gone but 4 worked fine. i bought a set of resistors on ebay for less then $10.easy job just, follow the diagram provided

JoeySully wrote: »

I forgot to post back and thank you! The coolant level was below the low level marker so I bought the right coolant and filled her up and now I'm back driving around in my nice warm car.

Thanks for your help! :)

• Advertisement

I forgot to post back and thank you! The coolant level was below the low level marker so I bought the right coolant and filled her up and now I'm back driving around in my nice warm car.

get your car checked out by a garage. you shouldn't be loosing that much coolant between services. you may have a leak which could cause serious engine damage if you drove without water and didnt notice. if you do happen to have a day over the weekend check your driveway for anything that looks like a leaking fluids. P.S you didnt mention what car/engine you have

It is a Toyota Celica T-Sport (VVTL-i engine) and I had in in for a service with linders yesterday. Told them about the low coolant level and they checked out the car and said there's nothing wrong with the car, just a spot light bulb out. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Defo the heater resister. comman problem on the nissans, along with the rest of the list!
    if memory servs me correct it retails abut 60-70 plus vat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i had a similar prob with a golf, except no fan setting would work. Popped in a second hand thermal resister.. And all was ok. It's a super easy job to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

if you are anywhere near a Maplins store you will get a variable resistor for a couple € max , which would do the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

My car has the same problem, needs a new resistor- does anyone know if you can order them in Halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

There's also other reasons for this, so if it happens again and JoeySully's solution doesn't do it, it may be a faulty thermostat (sticking open, meaning the water doesn't get warm in the engine as it's running through the rad continually). It may also be the heater matrix. That's basically a small rad which the air passes through to heat. Limescale and dirty water can block it up, also meaning no hot air. But the first thing to always check IS the coolant level. Should be checked regularly anyway.

Advertisement