Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Fixie Fun

Options
  • 15-10-2008 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I thought i'd post some photos of my project that i've been working on for a few weeks. It might be of some use and motivation to anybody thinking of attempting they're own project.

To date I've spent €115 and hope to finish it for less than €200. The original budget was €150 but I want to paint it properly so will spend the extra €€s to get the last bit right. I've learned so much during the project and would encourage anybody to give it a shot!

The bike's purpose will be a mess around/poser bike just for spinning to college and friend's houses. Something with a bit of me in it that hopefully won't attract thieves. Its not a very serious bike so I'm not too worried about your comments as long as they're some bit constructive.

First off I needed a good bike to start with. I wanted something cheap and light. My LBS here in limerick came through with an old Viking with reasonably straight wheels and reynolds 531 steel frame. I've been told some of these were made in Northern Ireland. The bike had a very old shimano 600 derailler and shimano cranks too. Not sure of the crank group set. Maybe someone recognises them. Is the logo a match for the "600" series? It was light too and all for €30 including two new tubes to get the bike rolling. Sadly the bike didn't come with a seatpost or saddle. Here's the bike the night I got it home:
    P1020251.jpg?t=1224028498

Derailler: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020247.jpg?t=1224029413

Shimano crankset logo: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020246.jpg?t=1224029365

I reckon it was fantastic value. Took it out that night cautiously (I couldn't help myself) down my estate for a few hundred metres in the dark after fitting the two new tubes. Brakes and gears worked, axles had no play. Delighted! A seatpost, saddle and a set of fresh tyres was all that was really needed to go back racing again!!

Weighing scales proved it was light enough too. Almost exactly equal in weight to my 2007 trek 1500. Old skool cool bikes are fantastic really! The trek has tri bars fitted so a little heavier than standard!

First job was the rear wheel. You guys kindly discouraged my welded freewheel idea. When i had the wheel off and the bmx freewheel in my hand beside it the rediculousness of the idea became clear. So off I went to cycle pursuits and got a 13T track cog (small i know but running on a 42T chain wheel) and some bearings to install while i was swapping around the spacers on the axle anyways.

Chainwheel all cleaned up: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020260.jpg?t=1224030697

Track sprocket and new bearings: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020263.jpg?t=1224030801

Here's a pic of the new sprocket on the wheel and secured with blue loctite (I couldn't find the red stuff). I must admit I may have over done it with the threadlock. There was not enough thread left on the hub for a BB lockring so suicide hub it is! I used the rotafix method to tighten the sprocket on. Thanks again to the member here that suggested it!
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020274.jpg?t=1224031878

Spent ages getting chain line right. What a pain! Fairly sure its bang on now. Then had a go re-dishing the wheel. I won't claim its perfect but its straight at least and I only broke one spoke during the process.
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020288.jpg?t=1224033165

Meanwhile, on the side I was organising parts to personalise the bike. Here's a suede blue saddle I have to put on it: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020256.jpg?t=1224031243

I got a friend to grind down the teeth off the 53T chainwheel to make a perfectly functional and stylish chain guard: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020261.jpg?t=1224031368

Also was donated these campagnolo brake levers by a customer at work who wanted a straight bar and MTB style brake levers fitted on her president cycles ladies racer. I know they're white but I really like them and its another reason besides cycling on a suicide hub to have brakes. They were also free campagnolo parts so i don't think i have a choice. It'd be a shame to throw them in the bin.

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020278.jpg?t=1224031563

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020279.jpg?t=1224031596

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020280.jpg?t=1224031621

I also bought a cheap and cheerful blue BMX chain from ebay to match the saddle:
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020281.jpg?t=1224033212

So that was enough to get me rolling (still without a seatpost mind you)! I took it for about a 5km spin slowly around the area tonight. I was tired when i got back after standing and pedalling continously for the 5km roundtrip. Did my very best to break the sprocket loose but neither that or the quick release lever(expected gasps from the safety concious here haha) caused any issue. The chain was still tight when i got home too. I still have the original brakes and levers on the bike so was relatively safe plodding along at slow speeds. I had expected the track sprocket to unscrew but even a couple of quick stamps backwards while standing with the brakes held firmly didn't seem to have much effect. I fear i've damaged the threads on the hub while rotafix'ing:o

I weighed the bike again and its around nine kgs. The seatpost and saddle will ad a bit more but by all accounts its a light bike for the money!

Here's a picture of the bike just before I started dismantling it for prep and painting:

P1020283.jpg?t=1224033776

P1020284.jpg?t=1224033800

The bike is gonna be shot blasted in the coming days and then will be painted. The plan is a few coats of primer with wet sanding in between, a few coats of silver, several coats of ford Focus ST orange and finished by a few coats of lacquer. Painting is the bit I don't enjoy so will probably take a while. I should have a seatpost and some fresh blue bar tape by the time thats all done. :D

I'll get some more pictures of the finished bike when it gets painted and re-assembled or if i get new parts to add to the bling. I'm looking out for a second-hand 25.4mm campy seatpost and some decent brake calipers, both vintage to suit the bike of course:cool:.

Thanks for reading all that if you got this far. All feedback welcome.

Joe.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

nice one on posting all that.
    your adherence to the cheapest possible avenue is admirable. if i'd done that when building my fixies for sale on eBay i might have actually turned a profit somewhere along the line..
    jollylee wrote: »
    Here's a pic of the new sprocket on the wheel and secured with blue loctite (I couldn't find the red stuff). I must admit I may have over done it with the threadlock. There was not enough thread left on the hub for a BB lockring so suicide hub it is! I used the rotafix method to tighten the sprocket on. Thanks again to the member here that suggested it!
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020274.jpg?t=1224031878

please - mind yourself with this. suicide hub is a good description.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

flickerx wrote: »

please - mind yourself with this. suicide hub is a good description.
    No bother dude, thanks for your concern. I'll keep a close eye on it. I'll be mostly depending on the actual brakes for a few months while getting used to fixed gear cycling anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Well done jollylee! btw you changing out the pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice job! I love the chainguard.

ST orange will probably work well with the white hoods.
    Something with a bit of me in it

Look, I know you're fond of the bike, but that's just disgusting.

Trojan wrote: »
    Well done jollylee! btw you changing out the pedals?
    I dunno I kinda like there dated look. Maybe in the future if I get an itch to spend more money. What would you suggest?
    Lumen wrote: »
    Nice job! I love the chainguard.

ST orange will probably work well with the white hoods.

Look, I know you're fond of the bike, but that's just disgusting.

Hahaha i'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the approval regarding colour. I wasn't sure about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I dunno I kinda like there dated look. Maybe in the future if I get an itch to spend more money. What would you suggest?.
    You're going to need straps and clips if you're going to be riding fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Well done, nice job. Looks nice already, paint plans sound great, I'd even just be a bit concerned that it will look too good (=steal me.)

With regard to suicide hubs- is there any particular risk as long as you use your brakes and don't try to skid stop? Only thing I could think of is that the cog could conceivably come off and jam the whole drivetrain, which would indeed be pretty catastrophic but also unlikely? (My own lockring is fecked at the moment.)

Sean_K wrote: »
    You're going to need straps and clips if you're going to be riding fixed.
    This is a personal thing really. Personally I would find straps and clips suicidal (difficult to disengage quickly) and use SPDs with a flat side. Mostly on the SPDs but the flats work fine for casual cycling into town etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Excellent work on the large chainring / chainguard - looks really neat.

Where did you get the saddle? Shape looks like a San Marco Rolls.

It'll look great if you do a good job on the paint. Where are you going to get it shot blasted and how much would that cost?

You could always grind off the gear-cable stops before painting - might look a bit neater - but no going back.

Morgan wrote: »
    Excellent work on the large chainring / chainguard - looks really neat.

Where did you get the saddle? Shape looks like a San Marco Rolls.

It'll look great if you do a good job on the paint. Where are you going to get it shot blasted and how much would that cost?

You could always grind off the gear-cable stops before painting - might look a bit neater - but no going back.

I was really happy with the chain ring. A friend did it. He's a magician in the work shop! Wouldn't take anything as reward either.

The saddle was bought on ebay. Really old looking but its new stock with no wear or marks. Its an iscaselle: http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/P1020257.jpg?t=1224061820

I'm not sure what going to happen when it gets wet.

A company called Kiesel services here in limerick quoted €50 to shot blast it. I've to take out the headset cups tonight some how. I'm sure it won't be ease. Will also have to take the cup of the fork. It might be a long night haha.

There's only one gear cable stop which will be taken off. As will the rear derailler hanger. There is no going back!!

Thanks to blorg for honesty re clipless pedals.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify on the pedals thing- there is definitely a major benefit on a fixie to having your feet firmly attached to the pedals, which is probably what Sean was getting at (as they are moving around all the time etc., you don't want to lose your footing), I just choose SPDs over toe clips for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,054 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are you planning on ditching the quick releases? They look a bit ugly.

blorg wrote: »
    Just to clarify on the pedals thing- there is definitely a major benefit on a fixie to having your feet firmly attached to the pedals, which is probably what Sean was getting at (as they are moving around all the time etc., you don't want to lose your footing), I just choose SPDs over toe clips for this purpose.

Ah ya I get the advantages, I've SPD-SLs on my road bike. Just don't want to have them on a bike I'll be using to spin over to see the lads in my good Vans :P. I'll see how the first few weeks go when I get it on the road.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Are you planning on ditching the quick releases? They look a bit ugly.
    I'll be locking the bike in college so for security I'll probably get a set of those scewers that have a hex allen key head instead of the levers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

It's say go with some simple clips and straps.. I'm sure if you pop round to your LBS they'll give you a pair for free off a stock bike, I reckon they've loads!

I'd also consider getting a new rear hub if you really want to enjoy your fixed gear cycling. You can get them pretty durn cheap these days. Don't like the suicide hub idear..

Just to update you on my own suicide hub- it works absolutely fine as long as you don't try to skid stop. I have unwound the cog twice doing this but worst that seems to happen is that the cog comes off and you just lose forward momentum, it's not catastrophic. Gentle/gradual resistance will not unwind the cog if it is on tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Missed this thread the first time around, man that's a beautiful looking bike. I love those old vikings:) And that chain-guard is cool - beautiful and functional. How many gears were on this viking originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Love the chainguard 'conversion' too. What did your mate use to grind off the teeth?

The bike had a 5 speed cassette and two chain rings. The cassette is old skool with just one tooth difference in size between each gear.

The chain guard was made by clamping the chain guard in a vice, and grinding off the teeth with a standard hand held grinder with a rough sanding disc. My friend did it, he's a tasty man in a work shop.

The entire collection of pics are here:

http://s429.photobucket.com/albums/qq14/jollylee11/

Quick update on my progress:

At last I got off my arse and sprayed the frame. I got it shot blasted first for a good base to work from. I hate spraying. It requires a lot more patience than I ever had. Kinda regret not powder coating it now as the finish is terrible. Anyways here's photos after priming and also after colour and laquer layers.

I'm busy with college at the moment so hopefully I'll get time to put it back together in the next week. I'll get pics of the completed bike uploaded as soon as possible.

P1020290.jpg?t=1227646922

P1020368.jpg?t=1227647137

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, just wow!

Is it hard to find these older frames around Ireland without hopping onto ebay and paying over the odds?

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wow, just wow!

Is it hard to find these older frames around Ireland without hopping onto ebay and paying over the odds?
    I didn't find it that hard. Ask everybody you know and all your local bike shops. That bike was just €30. I found a yellow peugeot racer in great condition on the side of the road a week after I bought that one but it had two broken wheels (it was across from a haulting site so surely robbed). You could be lucky and find somebody that has one in their shed and forgot about it. They'll only be two glad for someone to take it away. I got loads of offers of free bikes but they were all ladies frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I found a yellow peugeot racer in great condition on the side of the road a week after I bought that one but it had two broken wheels (it was across from a haulting site so surely robbed).

Off-topic, but isn't this leaping to conclusions a bit?

rflynnr wrote: »
    Off-topic, but isn't this leaping to conclusions a bit?
    True, apologises if I've offended anyone.

3T handlebar, BBB bar tape and campagnolo brake levers with white hoods fitted. New (to me) handlebar stem fitted also. I'm re-using the original brake outer cables as they're blue(so vain!) and working fine.

I have to mention Siopa rothair in limerick at this point. They have been unbelievably helpful to date. They're ordering 26.4mm and 26.8mm seatposts for me. Hopefully one of these will fit. Thats the final missing part. I'll have better quality pictures of the final result then when its all togther. Can't wait!!!:D:D

Picture from my phone hence quality:

moto_0353.jpg?t=1229604822

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Bike is beautiful.
    Bar tape is horrendous! IMPO.
    Well done on it so far, interesting project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

lovely frame, and it looks like you did a good job respraying it. it'll be interesting to see how it stands up to locking. remember to put a good photo of the finished build in the images of beauty thread.

i like the white hoods too but... what happened to the original bar? i think the black anodised aluminum looks seriously out of place with the rest of the bike and the classic curve of the old bars was stylish.

obviously, splash tape = FAIL (sorry this is what happens when you put pics of your bike up on a bike forum for pedants such as myself to nitpick and whinge about).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My father in law has the exact same tape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Bare alu bars would have looked good together with the alu stem, and I am not sure about the hoods ... I think you should get rid of them ... especially the back one :)

Love the pain job tho!

Bar tape is staying i'm afraid guys. I wanted blue and it was all that was in the shop. I've tyres and a saddle to match :D.

What would you guys suggest if i was to change the tape in the new year?

The old handle bar is corroded and the finish has faded. This one was a fiver and pretty light. Obsolete stock in halfords. I was gonna rap it all the way up to the stem to hide the black but wasn't sure how it'd look.

The finish is nicer in the pics that it actually is. Higher res pics might not be so kind! I'll get photos up soon.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• Advertisement

Hard to complain with 3T bars for a fiver. Bar tape is a personal thing, what you have could go well with that blue velvet saddle :D

Advertisement