Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-10-2008, 16:17   #1
AARRRGH

Menupages.ie - negative reviews are removed

Hello

Has anyone else noticed this? Pleasant but negative restaurant reviews on menupages.ie get removed. For example, one of my reviews (which was very polite, but honest) was removed recently. I'm guessing as the restaurant I reviewed is a "premium" member, they can request anything negative should be removed?
Advertisement
13-10-2008, 16:21   #2
youcancallmeal

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of the website
I did notice recently that reviews in general for a lot of places are usually rated at 3 stars and up. Very few 1/2 a star rating to be seen? Or maybe I've just been looking at genuinely good places?
If what your saying turns out to be true I'll definitely be a bit wary in future when looking at reviews, if I even look at all!
13-10-2008, 16:28   #3
AARRRGH

Yep, I just asked a couple of my friends there and any negative reviews they've ever left have also been removed.

Totally defeats the purpose of the site. Oh well...
13-10-2008, 16:58   #4
nava

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRRGH View Post
Yep, I just asked a couple of my friends there and any negative reviews they've ever left have also been removed.

Totally defeats the purpose of the site. Oh well...
Very disapointed with that move, what's the point of leaving feedback.

Did you try to contact the website admins about it? love to know what they have to say about it.
13-10-2008, 17:19   #5
dudara
Category Moderator

Ditto what nava said. Have you tried to contact the website to ask about their policy?
Advertisement
13-10-2008, 17:23   #6
Darragh29

Quote:
Hello

Has anyone else noticed this? Pleasant but negative restaurant reviews on menupages.ie get removed. For example, one of my reviews (which was very polite, but honest) was removed recently. I'm guessing as the restaurant I reviewed is a "premium" member, they can request anything negative should be removed?
The reason for this is because menupages.ie charge restaurants a monthly fee to participate in the website. Obviously they can't charge a restaurant to be up on the site and then have bad reviews.
13-10-2008, 17:28   #7
ntlbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darragh29 View Post
The reason for this is because menupages.ie charge restaurants a monthly fee to participate in the website. Obviously they can't charge a restaurant to be up on the site and then have bad reviews.
This is not an excuse if you want to pay to be part of it then you take the good with the bad or you stay away from it...

It's nothing far from a disgrace..
(2) thanks from:
13-10-2008, 17:31   #8
Caryatnid

Quote:
For example, one of my reviews (which was very polite, but honest) was removed recently.
Omg that's an absolute joke. Thanks for alerting us to this - I'll remember not to refer to this site if I want honest reviews.
13-10-2008, 17:32   #9
Darragh29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlbell View Post
This is not an excuse if you want to pay to be part of it then you take the good with the bad or you stay away from it...

It's nothing far from a disgrace..
I fully agree, it's an absolute joke, a website for rating restaurants that does the opposite, you couldn't make it up! Has anyone contacted them for an explanation???
Advertisement
13-10-2008, 17:53   #10
ejmaztec

They probably wouldn't earn a bean, were they independent and impartial. I don't know how many review sites of any kind can be trusted, as anyone can sign up to give a review, even the business owner.

Crazy.
13-10-2008, 18:12   #11
marknoonan1974

a friend of mine manages a hotel and she gets emailed the reviews before they get put up on the site...
13-10-2008, 18:31   #12
Scoobydoobydoo

Send a message via AIM to Scoobydoobydoo
When I saw this post I decided to check my reviews on Menupages, all my negative comments on various restaurants are still there. I can't remember how many stars I gave each one, so I can't say if any have been added or subtracted, but the words all seem to be there. To give you an idea, I've probably left about 30 reviews, with about 5 mainly negative - they're still there. I'd be very annoyed if they'd edited out the negatives, it would make the whole site a waste of time bothering with if you can't read honest reviews. I refer to it all the time so I hope this isn't how they mean to go on. I'll be watching for patterns!
13-10-2008, 19:22   #13
youcancallmeal

I think tripadvisor.com has the right idea, they let you post your review of a hotel and if the hotel isn't happy they can respond and challenge it?
13-10-2008, 19:24   #14
zAbbo

If your main revenue stream was advertising from Restaurants, it would be best to keep them happy.

Shameful if it is happening.
13-10-2008, 19:36   #15
TheBigLebowski

Yep, one of my negative reviews removed. Nonsense. Won't be using the site again, that's for sure.......pity cos I used to enjoy it but now it's not worth reading reviews and the whole thing becomes pointless.
Thread Closed