Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You can tell the schools are back

Options
  • 01-09-2008 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Traffic this morning was more of a nightmare than usual :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 facetheball

Try going through Moylough with a lorry! Little floots every where

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Ya and all the yuki mummies out in their pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

It's about time everyone stopped complaining and actually did something about it. Why not protest to the council about it? They need to sort it out. It would not be difficult to saturate the roads with buses and rid Galway of a large number of the cars. That is a short term solution that could be implemented within a month while they resolve the issue permanetly with rail. All it involves is getting their fingers out of their holes and a few quid out of their pockets (OUR Tax Money). The public transport in this city is a f*&king disgrace. I live two miles out of the city and the last bus to get into town on a Sunday is at a quarter to five. It's like living in the 1980s. If there was buses on all the main routes running every ten minutes there wouldn't be these problems.

Everyone of you that is pissed off about it should write to your local TD and write to the council. If they get a hundred letters they'll at least respond in someway.

Also, can someone explain to me why there is dozens and dozens of unused raillines all over Galway county that are not in use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dafunk wrote: »
    Also, can someone explain to me why there is dozens and dozens of unused raillines all over Galway county that are not in use?

OK... you can't be from Ireland to have to ask that question! There's hundreds of rail lines all over the country which aren't in use. Ireland had about 90% rail coverage up to (I think) around the 50s when successive governments reckoned that roads were the future and allowed the rural rail infrastructure to die back to the Dublin centred radial stump we have today. Around the same time the tramlines were ripped up in Dublin. I personally think it's only possible rival in terms of shortsighted stupidity on behalf of an Irish government was the lumping in of our physical telco infrastructure with the sale of eircom (which was a bit like selling Bus Eireann and giving the roads away too).

Granted many of the local railways were privately owned, but allowing this infrastructure to die was pretty unforgivable in my book.

'Sure who needs railways... everyone will have cars in a few years anyway...'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It's a beautiful sight to see all the pedos emerge from hibernation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sherifu wrote: »
    It's a beautiful sight to see all the pedos emerge from hibernation.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pedophile_nervous_for_first_day_of

I am well aware of our rail history. What I am baffled by is the fact that the unused rail lines in Galway are not now being developed for transport. The majority of the lines in or around Dublin were ripped up for development long ago. As far as I know that is not the case in Galway, many of the rail lines still exist, possibly some of them are used for cargo, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Why is it that if you leave for work, traffic is backed up on the way into Galway well before 8am. Most cars have one driver and no kids. How does the school run cause such jams so early.

I love the summer - no traffic jams to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

It's about time everyone stopped complaining and actually did something about it. Why not protest to the council about it? They need to sort it out. It would not be difficult to saturate the roads with buses and rid Galway of a large number of the cars. That is a short term solution that could be implemented within a month while they resolve the issue permanetly with rail. All it involves is getting their fingers out of their holes and a few quid out of their pockets (OUR Tax Money). The public transport in this city is a f*&king disgrace. I live two miles out of the city and the last bus to get into town on a Sunday is at a quarter to five. It's like living in the 1980s. If there was buses on all the main routes running every ten minutes there wouldn't be these problems.

Everyone of you that is pissed off about it should write to your local TD and write to the council. If they get a hundred letters they'll at least respond in someway.

First step in all of this is the Outer Bypass.
    Next is getting Bus Eireann out of it and an independant Galway Bus in the same vein as Dublin Bus.
    New railway stations at Oranmore and dual track to Athenry.
    Shuttle buses from the commuter towns during rush hours.
    P&Rs around the city periphery.
    Bishop O Donnell / Seamus Quirke road dualling.
    More pedestrian only zones in the city core.

None of this Galway Luas nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

chrussell wrote: »
    wtf??
    chrussell meet theonion, theonion meet chrussell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Funny, that's exactly what I did (albeit using email, and about the traffic problems on the N17). The response from the council? Nothing. Zip. Nada. Not even an acknowledgement that the got the mail. Muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

galah wrote: »
    Funny, that's exactly what I did (albeit using email, and about the traffic problems on the N17). The response from the council? Nothing. Zip. Nada. Not even an acknowledgement that the got the mail. Muppets.

Don't use e-mail for important sh1t. A group of us have been onto the Council in the past few months about a matter and every time it was a physical letter either hand delivered or posted. E-mails are lazy and wouldn't be taken seriously I suspect. If you actually give a sh1te about something you'll at least take the time to write a letter and send it in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

bit of a tangent, what time would I need to be in the NUIG carpark at to be guarenteed a space?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Caliden wrote: »
    bit of a tangent, what time would I need to be in the NUIG carpark at to be guarenteed a space?

5:32:47 AM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

MargeS wrote: »
    Why is it that if you leave for work, traffic is backed up on the way into Galway well before 8am. Most cars have one driver and no kids. How does the school run cause such jams so early.
    That is something I've often wondered about. It's the same in the evenings, when the schools are off the Headford Road roundabout is often a lot less clogged with cars way after the schools have finished.
    Bishop O Donnell / Seamus Quirke road dualling.
    I hope this isn't a stupid question but what do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,693 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

malice_ wrote: »
    That is something I've often wondered about. It's the same in the evenings, when the schools are off the Headford Road roundabout is often a lot less clogged with cars way after the schools have finished.

When the kids are off school, someone has to mind 'em, ie some parents stay at home. So less people are going to work overall. Also, teachers etc aren't driving to work. And in summer time, some people are taking their annual holidays. Individually each of these isn't a big difference, but put them together and it all adds up.

JustMary wrote: »
    When the kids are off school, someone has to mind 'em, ie some parents stay at home. So less people are going to work overall. Also, teachers etc aren't driving to work. And in summer time, some people are taking their annual holidays. Individually each of these isn't a big difference, but put them together and it all adds up.
    Damn you and your logic! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

malice_ wrote: »

I hope this isn't a stupid question but what do you mean by this?

Plans have been on the table for a while to make it dual carriagway from the hospital at the end of the Quincentenary Bridge to the end of the Western Distributor Road in Rahoon. Well, plans were around for a while but nothings been done.

All it really is is adding bus lanes on either side and remaking all the traffic light junctions. Its not going to do as much as they think it will.

Plans have been on the table for a while to make it dual carriagway from the hospital at the end of the Quincentenary Bridge to the end of the Western Distributor Road in Rahoon. Well, plans were around for a while but nothings been done.

All it really is is adding bus lanes on either side and remaking all the traffic light junctions. Its not going to do as much as they think it will.
    I think I remember hearing about that about 2 years ago. Is it the same plan that will remove the junction at the Rahoon road (the one that leads up to Rahoon cemetary) or prevent people turning left onto the main road from that junction?

I'm sure the bus lanes would be useful if there actually was a decent bus service. If they are implemented I can see them being used the same as the bus lanes on the Renmore road - by people driving cars down them to attempt to beat the queues. Oh, and the occasional bus :).

• Advertisement

Frustrated commuters in Argentina set fire to a passenger train after the rail company has trouble meeting rush-hour demand:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7600027.stm

Now that'd make people take notice ;)

Advertisement