Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What, if anything, would constitute proof?

Options
  • 30-08-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

So what would it take?

Seeing some sort of vision or anything in that line would not do it for me since I would just assume that I have some sort of mental condition or tumor. I don't think I actually know what proof would satisfy me into believing there is a god.

I suppose if there was some logical explanation as to how the god came into existence etc and how the world etc was created then that would be a start.

How about you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

axer wrote: »
    So what would it take?

Seeing some sort of vision or anything in that line would not do it for me since I would just assume that I have some sort of mental condition or tumor. I don't think I actually know what proof would satisfy me into believing there is a god.

I suppose if there was some logical explanation as to how the god came into existence etc and how the world etc was created then that would be a start.

How about you?

If god came down to earth went on cnn/sky news and parted the Atlantic ocean which was verified scientifically. Even then I would still be a sceptic as a more probable reason would be that he's a time traveller from the future or from an advanced race of aliens.

Thinking about it the only thing that would convince me 100% without a doubt would be if god could scientifically demonstrate how he created the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Nothing would ever 100% convince me, except if god unilaterally altered my mental state to accept him.

Otherwise, if a seemingly divine being came to me, in the presence of others (particularly other atheists) and tried to prove he was god, and the others agreed he was, this would make me inclined to become agnostic, heavily leaning towards theism.

He would need extaordinary evidence to convince me though. Maybe if he raised the dead or blew up the moon...but then again, he could just be a hyper-advanced time-travelling alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

sink wrote: »
    If god came down to earth went on cnn/sky news and parted the Atlantic ocean which was verified scientifically.

I wouldn't believe it until it appeared on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

If someone publishes a Nature paper that proves His existence, I'll certainly give the paper a sceptical read through.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭gramlab

axer wrote: »
    So what would it take?QUOTE]

As much as I dont believe in an almighty, I also dont want there to be one. If all the c*"p that goes on in the world is planned, overseen and ignored by a divine being, then he is one being I would never wish to meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'd go for the whole Atlantic parting thing. But like others have said, super powered aliens is still a more rational explanation. Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, so if anyone anywhere has enough technology they could well be completely indistinguishable from God.

I suppose if He created another universe for our analysis that would suffice.

Or if he did any of those things that require infinite power. Like creating a paradox.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If something happened to make Zillah believe, I'd think about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Personally, I'd like to see a god, say, stop a planecrcash in midflight or warn of an upcoming earthquake or tsunami, rather than, say, suspending some of this free-will stuff in order to maneuver neighbors into meeting on opposite sides of a Texas petrol pump.

The first one seems like a useful god to have around. The second one falls rather short of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It would be impossible to ever be absolutely certain that what we were witnessing was 'god', rather than just some incredibly advanced alien. I'm defining 'god' as a being or entity that created the universe, exists outside of time and is not subject to the laws of physics in the normal way. An alien lifeform which exists within this universe may be highly advanced and capable of feats we can't imagine but would still not be 'god' in the sense of how I've defined it.

A sufficiently advanced alien being or beings would in effect be 'god' to us anyway, that's the way it's always been when advanced meets primitive. A super-advanced alien could pass himself off as god and we wouldn't be able to tell. Maybe if the god being could demonstrate how he engineered the universe and set it's key constants, and this was verified as scientifically coherent by the best theoretical physicists on the planet.

This god, though a fascinating entity would still not warrant our worship though, and certainly wouldn't demand it either. Respect yes, worship no.

In saying all this, a god entity capable of engineering a universe might well be utterly incomprehensible to us anyway, in the same way that advanced mathematics is incomprehensible to a dog.

Edit: just realised robin,zillah etc made similar points anyway
    gramlab wrote:
    As much as I dont believe in an almighty, I also dont want there to be one. If all the c*"p that goes on in the world is planned, overseen and ignored by a divine being, then he is one being I would never wish to meet.

Agreed. Even if a god did exist he can't be all-powerful and benevolent, though the religiosos will jump through every hoop in existence to get around that thorny bush.

Oh, changing universal constants would be pretty convincing. Making light speed infinite or assembling blackholes to spell out YAHWEH would be hard to refute too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh, changing universal constants would be pretty convincing.

How about changing pi to 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If He were to come down from heaven, create a rock that's too heavy for even He to lift, and then proceed to lift it. Then explain how He did it.

I would then convert to... ahh sh*t...

Well I'd be a theist anyway!

robindch wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see a god, say, stop a planecrcash in midflight or warn of an upcoming earthquake or tsunami, rather than, say, suspending some of this free-will stuff in order to maneuver neighbors into meeting on opposite sides of a Texas petrol pump.

I'm pretty sure that's Superman, not God.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I'm pretty sure that's Superman, not God.
    Well, baby steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I’ve been asked this one a lot by theists. My answer is always the same.

I would not declare what the evidence needs to be in advance. To do so would be to create a bias and reduce open mindedness.

I consider ANY and ALL evidence put before me. So far none has been presented. At all. Ever. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Feck all. None....

Damn I need a thesaurus.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

A testable model of God would be handy, one that it is possible to test each other claims God is supposed to have

Plus spelling out his name in black holes would be good (thanks Zillah)

I certianly wouldn't consider most of the nonsense the theists go on about as proof of anything, such as I followed the Bible, my life improved, it must be real or any such clap trap.

Wicknight wrote: »
    A testable model of God would be handy, one that it is possible to test each other claims God is supposed to have

Plus spelling out his name in black holes would be good (thanks Zillah)

I certianly wouldn't consider most of the nonsense the theists go on about as proof of anything, such as I followed the Bible, my life improved, it must be real or any such clap trap.

It's all anecdotal. What we need is a large scale trial. 10,000 volunteers, a strict regimen of mass, prayer and bible reading and some means to measure the outcome. Subjective happiness, perhaps personality testing... we could look for all sorts of fun stuff. Would be interesting to see how many of them discard religion during the study time frame. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It's all anecdotal. What we need is a large scale trial. 10,000 volunteers, a strict regimen of mass, prayer and bible reading and some means to measure the outcome. Subjective happiness, perhaps personality testing... we could look for all sorts of fun stuff. Would be interesting to see how many of them discard religion during the study time frame. :pac:

It was interesting to see what PDN said when asked what would convince him his religion is wrong. Most of the stuff he said I would consider already to be true, yet he is still a Christian. It is the advantage of anecdotal "evidence", it really means what you want it to me.

Wicknight wrote: »
    It was interesting to see what PDN said when asked what would convince him his religion is wrong. Most of the stuff he said I would consider already to be true, yet he is still a Christian. It is the advantage of anecdotal "evidence", it really means what you want it to me.

When much of what you believe is untestable it makes your position a very cosy one, and the smugness is often evident. The things that are somewhat testable, such as the efficacy of prayer, invariably fail the tests but of course these results are dismissed as irrelevant. You can't test god, he moves in mysterious ways you see. It really is remarkable to see someone like PDN, who comes across as an otherwise intelligent guy, often completely abandon all sense of logic and rationality in defence of his faith. As for JC over in the creationism thread, his attempts at talking his away out of a corner are by now legendary. I guess you can believe anything you want if you just make it up as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

As an all powerful god all he has to do is change my mind to make me believe in him, should be pretty easy for someone who can knock together a universe in a wek

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

As an all powerful god all he has to do is change my mind to make me believe in him, should be pretty easy for someone who can knock together a universe in a wek

How could you be sure it was god that changed your mind and not some sudden onset of mental illness?

aidan24326 wrote: »
    When much of what you believe is untestable it makes your position a very cosy one, and the smugness is often evident. The things that are somewhat testable, such as the efficacy of prayer, invariably fail the tests but of course these results are dismissed as irrelevant. You can't test god, he moves in mysterious ways you see. It really is remarkable to see someone like PDN, who comes across as an otherwise intelligent guy, often completely abandon all sense of logic and rationality in defence of his faith. As for JC over in the creationism thread, his attempts at talking his away out of a corner are by now legendary. I guess you can believe anything you want if you just make it up as you go.

J C is either actually utterly committed to a set of self contradictory and unsupportable beliefs or is one of the most dedicated trolls I've ever encountered. It's really hard to tell.

or is one of the most dedicated trolls I've ever encountered.

It would be the most incredible ultra-troll the internet has ever seen. Regretably its more likely that he is actually as insane as it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

A nice easy one for the all-powerful one, 'God Did This' could be encoded into every animals DNA - or, seeing as we Humans are the sole-reason for the creation of the entire universe, only our-own DNA need be encoded, and not some bible-code bull**** either. As a bonus for the masses of bible-literalists, the difference between our DNA and all other life would be absolute proof that we couldn't have evolved from a common ancestor.

I doubt that anything could convince me of the existence of anything remotely resembling the bible nut-job. To paraphrase Woody Allen, just what i would say to such a being would depend on the quality of the apology offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

chances are nothing will constitite proof. if a person wants to believe, he'll believe, nomatter what evidence to the contrary is brought forward. if he, or she, i guess...doesn't want to believe, then they wont, even if an angel apeared and gave him a bitch-slap. there is some other explanation. peoples minds are already set.

chances are nothing will constitite proof. if a person wants to believe, he'll believe, nomatter what evidence to the contrary is brought forward. if he, or she, i guess...doesn't want to believe, then they wont, even if an angel apeared and gave him a bitch-slap. there is some other explanation. peoples minds are already set.

Not strictly true. You'll find that most of us in the atheist/non-believer camp would be more than willing to reconsider our position if credible evidence came to light. But to make me seriously rconsider that I might be wrong that evidence is gonna have to be something truly amazing, and it's very difficult to know what a god could do that would count as definitive proof he was indeed the creator. Some of what religious believers claim as evidence of god's existence (their own god, of course) is so far removed from what would normally be classed as evidence, in the proper sense, that it only demonstrates either a complete misunderstanding of the word, or more likely a deliberate shifting* of the goalposts.

*by a long long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

aidan24326 wrote: »
    But to make me seriously rconsider that I might be wrong that evidence is gonna have to be something truly amazing, and it's very difficult to know what a god could do that would count as definitive proof he was indeed the creator.

For me it would be the the opposite of that, God's existence would be self evident in the utter mundaneness of his interactions with us here on earth.

A great example of this is found in Philip K Dicks' Eye in the Sky in which (as part of a kind of reality dysfunction) characters live in a world governed by God as described in the Old Testament.

So for example, people who blaspheme would be struck with lightning or be afflicted with boils. These wouldn't be amazing events they'd be absolutely mundane - "I see Johnny has a bad case of boils again - serves the blasphemer right".

We wouldn't need hospitals because prayer and faith would sort out all out health issues and so on. God's existence (and by this I mean the one claimed by Christians, Muslims, Jews etc), if he did the sort of things claimed for him would indisputable*.

* And before the intelligentsia here muck in, I'm not really interested if anyone can invent a God that can't be discounted by observing reality, knock yourself out, invent all the Gods you want to. Just remember you just made them up and I have no real interest in your imaginings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

If atheiests -and only athiests - were regularly struck by lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Easy, head off into the desert for a month or so and live in a cave on your own. Starve your self to deaths door and until you start hallucinating like a complete nut job. Then potter home and tell all and sundry about the various apparitions and visitations you had out there.

Historical evidence would suggest this is enough to convince anybody.

Advertisement