Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish DiscWorld Convention (IDWC)

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Having been at the UK International Convention - and enjoyed it tremendously! - it has been decided that there is going to be an Irish discworld convention. That is, we were told we should do it. And we took them seriously!

So this thread is going to be where we (Nicola and Mary-Ellen) look for suggestions, ideas, comments, et al.

So please, check back regularly for news and information.

At the moment all we can tell you is that we hope to have it in late October 2009 in Co. Clare. The reasoning for this is that anybody hoping to fly over (and we do already have people from England looking to come) will be able to fly into Shannon quite easily.

So let us know: do you want to come or do you know anyone who wants to come?

We had this posted in the general literature forum and have now moved it so it would be easier to find. This will now be the place to post your replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

idwc2009 wrote: »
    Having been at the UK International Convention - and enjoyed it tremendously! - it has been decided that there is going to be an Irish discworld convention. That is, we were told we should do it. And we took them seriously!

So this thread is going to be where we (Nicola and Mary-Ellen) look for suggestions, ideas, comments, et al.

So please, check back regularly for news and information.

At the moment all we can tell you is that we hope to have it in late October 2009 in Co. Clare. The reasoning for this is that anybody hoping to fly over (and we do already have people from England looking to come) will be able to fly into Shannon quite easily.

So let us know: do you want to come or do you know anyone who wants to come?

We had this posted in the general literature forum and have now moved it so it would be easier to find. This will now be the place to post your replies.

Mary Ellen, tis Conor here :D
    I ll come if you organise it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 idwc2009

Cool cool Conor! Can't wait to see you there- October 2009. And make sure and check the diary!

- Mary-Ellen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

idwc2009 wrote: »
    Cool cool Conor! Can't wait to see you there- October 2009. And make sure and check the diary!

- Mary-Ellen

I shall be in college so, i ll have no excuse :D (Hopefully :P)

So yes, the committee has been hard at work these past few days organising the different aspects of the convention.

Here is what we have so far...

- Volunteers for tech for various events.
    - A web-designer working on getting us our own official page.
    - A writer taking a look at one of the various plays adapted from pTerry's books by Stephen Briggs.
    - One hotel looking desperately for our business (they heard just how big this will get).

And what we are currently working on:

- The attendance of the Man Himself (Mr Terry Pratchett).
    - The attendance of other special guests.
    - Even more hotel prices - we are working on the most competitve prices for you!
    - A preliminary events lists.

What we need:

- YOU
    This Con will not be as good, as exciting, as fun-filled, if YOU are not there!
    We need your ideas, suggestions, comments and arguments.
    But most importantly, we need you to join the friends list of The IDWC. This can be done by checking out Bebo (Irish Dwcon), Livejournal (IDWC) or Facebook. As well as this thread, this is where we will be updating with news and ideas.

I highly endorse this service/product.

• Advertisement

Good! Glad to have you on board!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zageroth

Why not have it in Dublin/Dun Laoghaire
    Dun Laoghaire has alot of places to choose from, after hosting the Festival of World Cultures, i'm sure they can accomadate somehting along those lines in the comming future..
    Also you have the HSS Ferry that could bring in the People from England..
    and we could get a sponsorship from them...
    Since i'm based around that area i could go into a few of the hotels and even the Co. Council (i got one of the "Big Wigs" in there into Pratchett) so i could always broach the idea to him..
    you know it never hurts to ask...
    Getting hold of Pratchett could be a bit of trouble, but i know he knows about his irish fan-base. and would be more than willing to Talk and answer questions..

i'll keep an eye on this tread and get back to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

Count me in, would adore this. Have not been able to get off my ass to go to the UK for any, but could not let this pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I've never been a convention of any kind - what exactly goes on at these shindigs?

So glad you guys are interested, Zageroth, Sheena99 and Enlil_Nick.

In response to Zageroths suggestion of having it in Dublin/Dun Laoire, I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible as myself and the rest of the committee (that we have at the moment) all live in the west of Ireland. We need to try at least to keep it there and be able to go to the hotel and all suppliers/supporters and talk face to face if anything comes up.

I love that you have gotten interested and are suggesting things, please don't change. As we have said before, we need you guys.

Sheena99, it'll be well worth coming, thank you for supporting!

And as for you Enlil_Nick, at the moment we have no set programme but I can give you and all those who need the info an outline.

--

Everything is optional.

Official talks: Between guests and Special Guests. We can't tell you who at the moment so don't ask.

Games: Discworld games, currently being thought up by our Games Master Torak. Will involve fun, danger (though he was told no physical or mental harm, it may still be quite scary). Anyone with a game idea, send us a pm!

Play: We're going to perform a play, open to all the convention members. We've decided on one already and are just waiting for the Play Master to adapt it from the adaptation! If you're interested in this give us a shout.

Misc: We haven't everything decided yet, so, again, if you have any further ideas or suggestions, send us a pm. We would love to hear from you. Plus, you will be credited!

And then there is the usual Convention 'usuals': very little sleep, much talking, laughing and possibly music if people decide to bring their instruments out. There will be alcohol. You have been warned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

sounds great! will this be over a weekend or wha? would love to get involved!!

oooooooook! :D

:)

We're planing for a weekend. 2:00pm Friday to approx. 6:00pm Monday. Also for anyone interested there will be a party to top it all off on the Monday night

Thanks for sticking with us. Small update. We have a logo. We can't put it in our profile yet, since we haven't yet reached the prequisite 25 posts for these 'non-important', or some such, items.

If you want to take a look at it it's hosted here! Thanks!

Quick Plugin,

i'll offer up a small prize..ish, well maybe a big..ish prize for any of the competitions..
    i've got about 4.49GB of Pratchett Books on my iPod..|

one of the Prizes could be a 5GB key with all the books on them...
    or a 5GB MP3 player with all of them on it...
    just a quick idea for prizes, i've also got all the Potter Books too, they could be a choice for the Prizes...

yeah i can see why you would want it there, oh well i'll keep my suggestions comming... i'd walk 500 miles for Pratchett!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Bonzodog

Ooh...yes, looking forward to this. I am a member of the mostly UK based afp (alt.fan.pratchett) group, but have never been able to attend any of the DWCon's in the UK.

I will be keeping an eye on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Unless you have a licence to those books, and are giving the licence to someone as a prize along with those files you can't do that.

Organisation of the first ever Irish DiscWorld Convention is proceeding apace, but we've come up against some obstacles - namely, we're running out of people.

If you have any experience of running a fan convention, and/or you want to get involved, please contact us, and let us know.

Positions we currently need to fill:
    Dealer liason
    Ops Manager
    Gopher Chief
    Head Watchman
    Stage Manager/Head of Productions
    Membership Secretary

hey, oh well it was a good try anyway(audiobooks)
    well i'm still on board for this convention...

what do the jobs entail?

Dealer liason
    Ops Manager
    Gopher Chief
    Head Watchman
    Membership Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bigjigwig77

Definatly up for it! And I know quite a lot of other people who will flip when they hear this.

I would be up to doing some Volunteer work, but nothing thats very, very important to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

All I can say is 'wow'. I was just thinking today (while reading DWMonthly) that it sucks that there's DW conventions everywhere else but here!

Set a date and it's going on my calendar :)

• Advertisement

Sorry 'bout the absence folks. Heres the details ye were looking for:

Dealer liason
    - We will be having a dealers room for people selling their own handicrafts etc. Will have a table for a local bookshop. This person will have to liaise with them, re applications for the room, room space, table space, whether they need help or not. And so on.

Ops Manager
    - There is a saying during conventions, if you need a question sorted "go to ops", if you're lost - "go to ops", if you want to help out "go to ops". Ops is the centre of management. "Operations" as it were. Good organisational skills are needed here.

Gopher Chief
    - Gophers are the lifeblood of the convention. They help keep the place running and the jobs get done. By the time the convention comes around it is out of the hands of the chairpersons as it were, and over to ye! Again good organisational skills needed. But on the plus side, not much work to be done until that weekend.

Head Watchman
    - Some things are not allowed happen at the Con. We do not allow people to run around with edged weapons. Or any weapons for that matter. It is the job of the watch to hold onto these and also just to keep order in the queues.

- Ok, sorry but if I need to explain this one to you, odds are, we won't pick you. We will be hosting a number of large staged events. The Stage Manager will be the main boss for these one the day. If you've been stage manager before, or know someone who is interested in DW and has been, get them in contact with us.

Membership Secretary
    - Application minder. Checker. Making sure-er. We will need someone to keep an eye on the applications etc.

Let me know if you need further detail. Also, if you want to offer your skills will you email us at idwc2009 - @ - hotmail - . - com. We will have domain emails soon but they're taking their time getting ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I can almost say I'll be going. And one of me muckers will be up for it as well.

I'd like to offer up my time for one of the jobs, but as it is, paying job is taking up too much time as it is.

Excellent, well done that chap for the idea.

Is there going to be a Wizards breakfast? :pac::pac: I might make myself ill.

Good to have you with us. As we said, some of the jobs won't come into play until just about on or near the date so don't count yourself out of the game!
    Excellent, well done that chap for the idea.

Which chap?

The chairpersons are all of the female persuasion.
    All three of us. :)

All hail the tri-chair!
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

All chaps involved. Male and female.

Please excuse the excitement but this is important!

THE WEBSITE IS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not in tip-top yet but it will be!

www.idwcon.org

---

Also, since our webmaster general has upped and left us - moving jobs and such - we are in need of someone with top webmastering skills. We got a friend to put up the page you can see at the moment but he can't commit to anything more at this point.

All cv's to info @ idwcon.org

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Oooh interesting. I'd be up for going to this ;)

What kind of webmaster skills do you need?

sorry for the absence myself. sure i'd love to keep the watch duty jobs, or for the Ops Managers job, i have a touch of the old OCD, so i'm a touch fanatic about the little things in life, keep me in mind for that one.

catch you laters..
    ~Z~

Sorry WizZard but the part of Webmaster is actually gone now but if you contact us at info@idwcon.org we can sure use your help possibly on the Website and on other things!

And also to Zegeroth I'm afraid we have the Heads of those departments but there is sure alot of room on both the Watch and Ops teams! Contact us at info@idwcon.org

Thanks so much again to everyone who is marking dates in diaries and planing on going! We're looking forward to seeing you at the Falls Hotel, Ennistymon, Co. Clare on the 6th - 9th of November!

Just so you guys know we are still looking for:
    Dealer liason
    Gopher Chief
    and
    Membership Secretary

If any of you guys feel you are up for some volunteer work or feel that you can volunteer a friend, who's interested of course, then please contact us at info@idwcon.org

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I will definitely go to this anyway.

I don't know if i'd be able to help with any of the volunteer positions you have (no experience with this kind of thing), but I am from the area and am frequently back there at weekends - if that means I can be of any use, let me know! (Although in this electronic age it probably doesn't make any difference...)

I can also help with anything Web/IT related if the need arises, although you seem to have that covered.

Advertisement