Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Meter

Options
  • 27-08-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Not sure if this is a consumer issue or management company related but if I'm in the wrong forum, maybe a mod can move it for me!

As a consumer of electricity, and a customer of the ESB, am I entitled to have access to my ESB meter to read it myself?

Reason I ask is, the last year, I have been receiving estimated bills, and recently got a letter from the ESB asking me to dial in my own reading as they have been unable to get a reading. Problem here is, my ESB meter (along with 8 others in the apartment block) is in a locked cupboard. Not locked by a square "generic" key, but a proper lock like you'd have on your front door.

The ESB can't get access to it as they don't have a key, and it's also inside the apartment block so they'd need to get into that too.

I can't access it as I don't have a key. So I called the management company, who sent someone out to "read my meter" for me. I requested a key, but to no avail (so far). I called the ESB with the reading and the guy on the phone told me it seemed very high and to double check. Of course I couldn't do this as I don't have access, and couldn't confirm to him that I used that amount of units as I hadn't seen the meter with my own eyes.

Bottom line is, I don't wanna have to call the management company every 3 months an estimated bill comes in!

Am I entitled to access this cupboard???? Any help greatly appreciated!

BTW, I was supplied with a key to the Bord Gais meter but not ESB!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 p-flaps

i worked in the metering department of esb (the clerical side) and this is a common problem for sites that the meter reader cannot get access to.

firstly, if your bill hasnt been read for a number of consecutive months, then the estimates could be way off, and if they are estimating it too low, then when an actual read comes in, guess who has to pay the possibly huge difference? you.

if i were you i would sort out getting a reading into them asap (if you havent already).

access to the meter in an apartment building is the responisbility of the management company and not esb, although they probably could have done a better job in organising someone to be there with the key to open the meter box

Advertisement