Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullet Madness!!

Options
  • 23-08-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Decided to go mullet fishing for the first time today. Everyone telling me they were hard to catch, so had to give it a go.
    Went out to Crosshaven 7am this morning, ground baited with mashed up bread and attracted quite a large group of fish. I wanted to use floating bread flake, but that wasn't possible due to two really ignorant anoying swans. So used a stick float and fished my bread just off the bottom on a size 8 barbed hook. was getting bites but not conecting so changed down to a size 12. This worked better connected with about 5 fish and didn't land any of them!!!!
    Anyone have any advice on catching these B*****d's. Had great fun though they really give a good acount of themselves on 5lb line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

I used to fish for them when i was younger in Swords estuary, they are quite hard to land as the fihgt very hard and the inside of thier mouth is very soft.
    we used to use size 6 or 8 wide gape hooks(barbless) and when you see them take the bread, count to 8 or 10 and dont strike, just lift into them.
    best time for them as you might know is high tide and bread seems to work best but somtimes they just wont be interested in anything.
    Tight lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Try going up to a 10LB leader to keep them from coming off to quickly also, also try mackerel as bait, they love that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Thanks for the replys lads.
    It's not that they are breaking the the line, I didn't have any snap offs. They just seem to shake the hook. I don't think heavier line will make a difference,. Ive landed many fish over 5lb on 5lb line.
    I couldn't do the whole counting to 10 thing because I wasn't fishin on the surface due to the previosly mentioned swans. I wasn't striking the dipping float, but only when it was running away.
    Will try again next saturday. Any one know of any good spots round Cork/West Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Thanks for the replys lads.
    It's not that they are breaking the the line, I didn't have any snap offs. They just seem to shake the hook. I don't think heavier line will make a difference,. Ive landed many fish over 5lb on 5lb line.
    I couldn't do the whole counting to 10 thing because I wasn't fishin on the surface due to the previosly mentioned swans. I wasn't striking the dipping float, but only when it was running away.
    Will try again next saturday. Any one know of any good spots round Cork/West Cork?

I dont fish on the surface either for the same reason, roll up small balls of bread and feed them until the mullet are fighting over them and then stick a hook in one, balls about the size of a grape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well, to save both the trip all the way to crosshave AND the early morning, try the bridge on bothar guidel in carrigaline. rising tide in the evening seems a good time for them. if traffic is heavy then hop the low wall on the crosshave side and sit on the concrete by the statue, everything in the channel will have to swim straight past you

i seldom fish for mullet but see them feeding at the mouth of the estuary pretty frequently. sometimes the kids (scobes) fish for them with varying success. there is a mess of other stuff there too, flounder, eels, even some occasional salmon and trout (honestly!)

you'd never know your luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Happyhunter

Cheers mawk. will avoid that spot. I feckin hate scobes!!! Thinking of going out Rosscarbry direction this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

no problem, but if youre happy to be up and fishing at 7am then there certainly WONT be scobes about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭ArthurJ

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i saw a few kids fishing at low tide in kinsale right in the town for them

they were using popcorn for bait and one guy caught a 3lb ish one and seemed to have a job trying to pull it in

it looked like fun
    there is a pool of them too on the way out to inchidoney near clon
    you take the turn of for dunmore house hotel and they are along the wall there on the right,loads of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement