Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Flood damage

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Drove my 94 corolla through a flood last night and it cut out.

Was driving pretty carefully, but the water level was high.

I'm hoping its just the distributer cap. When I try to start it, it might just start, and then cut out a second later. I'm getting a new car in the next 2 weeks, but its a handy run-around and would like to get it back running.

What should I do next? take a look at the distributer? Let it dry out? etc

Check the colour of the oil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

You'll have to change the oil, air filter first. The air filter may be sodden. Then you need to see if there is spark at the plugs so you'll need to take them out and crank the engine. DON'T HOLD THE PLUGS, you'll shock yourself. Also by doing this you'll expell any water from the cylinders. Some people spray wd40 into the cylinder bores too.

If this is all ok then it could be the electrics to your fuel pump or water somewhere else.

If you do this and come back here then the guys here will be able to guide you further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Built

I've checked the air filter this morning and it was bone dry, so no water got in there. Does that mean that water wouldn't have got into the engine, and that's its probably the distributer?

Built wrote: »
    I've checked the air filter this morning and it was bone dry, so no water got in there. Does that mean that water wouldn't have got into the engine, and that's its probably the distributer?

Water could still have got in if you have any leaks in your induction system so you'll have to discount it. I'd pull the plugs out and turn over the engine just to see. You'll have to do that to check the spark anyway. No spark == distributor problem basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Built

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice!

If its sparking, but still not starting, that could be me up the swanny, Im guessing?

Built wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice!

If its sparking, but still not starting, that could be me up the swanny, Im guessing?

Not necessarily, you just need to discount that its a spark problem. After that you need to look at fuel supply and air supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Got similar problem while my Clio 1.2 petrol was parked in QuickPark while on holidays ... Came back to the car last Thursday to find 10cm of water still on the carpet inside the car (and a good few around me). Car originally started but stalled after 2 minutes, was then impossible to restart. Called AXA breakdown who sent someone but again no luck. Car was finally towed to a Garage in Finglas where it still is .... The garage are currently checking petrol induction as it seems water got in with the petrol ...

I am still to find out if my Third-party/Theft insurance will cover for the flood/water damage and im also stuck paying for a rented car in the mean time!

Advertisement