Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An investigation in to the health of thoroughbred canines

Options
  • 18-08-2008 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

BBC 1, Tuesday the 19th,

Pedigree dogs Exposed

Looks like people like Peasant have got together and made a TV program. Should be interesting, a full hour devoted to it.

I am a recent convert myself, always had pedigrees, will never have one again, if it weren't for vet insurance we would have had to sell my wife's car, and the dog is sometimes as mad as a box of frogs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks for the heads up ...must make sure to record that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I hope its good, we will have a review on Wednesday... It wouldn't really be in vet and pharmacy circles to kill the cash cow that is pedigree breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

theres a programme on bbc tonight about how show breeders have turned certain breeds like the bulldog and bassett hounds into freaks of nature. reckless breeding for extreme cocmetic features has left breeds riddled with genetic disordes.
    i keep hunting dogs and when i see a basset hound on crufts with its belly dragging on the ground and his eyes balls hanging out of his head its annoys me. a bassett is supposed to be able to do a days hunting yet these show winners can hardly walk around the show ring. same for bulldogs, these are suposed to made to work, i know they arent used for fighting or baiting but physically the should be able to do so. bulldogs cant hardly even breed or give birth without human help.
    looks like the k c will look badly in this.
    most men who keep working dogs have nothing but scorn for k c and show breeders for the way the have ruined certain breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It makes sense, Im guessing here but i'd wager the whole concept of the "pure breed" came from the british upper class in the victorian era. Every one knows that inbreeding is a bad thing, yet it lingers in the Kennel clubs.

Could it be that back yard breeders may be the saviour of the modern dog? oh the ironing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

God - thats depressing reading.

I don't think most people have a clue about how big a problem that is. (I didn't).

just posted a thread on the very subject. my view is k c and show breedser have ruined some breeds. a lot of men/women who keep working dogs have nothing but scorn for k c and show breeders who have destroyed working breeds like the bassett,bulldog, russell,lakeland, german shepard list goes on and on.
    article in the daily mail about it today. freaks is the word used to describe some of the breeds we have today.

whitser wrote: »
    a lot of men/women who keep working dogs have nothing but scorn for k c and show breeders

Yeah, I'd say so, that pointer is the wrong colour! Who gives a shlte, he's bloody pointing well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

I think some of the blame has to go to people breeding dogs just for money or because "your dog is so nice, if you have pups i want one"...
    A lot of nice dogs being bred in completely wrong circumstances, not being checked for medical conditions and being bred at very very young ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Just out of curiosity, are there any breeders who breed dogs like Bassett Hounds or Bulldogs, that actually are more like they should be? That is, actually workable dogs?

The way some dogs have been breed for cosmetic reasons, to the detriment of quality of life is sickening really. But your thread made me curious about whether certain breeds have gone past the point of return, or are there any actual examples out there of how the breeds "used to be"....if that makes any sense at all!? :confused:

I'm too knowledgeable on these breeds really.

• Advertisement

there's still packs of working bassetts around, and they look nothing like the ones in the show ring. and the bulldogs, i think the johnson bulldogs from america are as close to the original as you can get(stand to be corrected in that) and they are still used in sporting tests like weight pulling etc...they are a tall athletic dog capable of running and jumping etc..bulldogs now cant even walk a few hundred yards,its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

Could it be that back yard breeders may be the saviour of the modern dog? oh the ironing

Not likely. Breeding indescriminately from dogs that quite likely come from lines that have serious genetic defects due out of ignorance is no better than the breeder who does it knowingly.

The only way forward is for vet testing of every breeding animal, undoubtedly some of these breeds would need a serious injection of genetic material from healthier and more widely diverse bloodlines if they are to survive. But, remember that your mongrel could just as easily be struck down by some of the problems if they are just two pedigree dogs mixed. Heinz 57 varieties are probably better off as they should have a wide variety of genetic material to work with.

Breeding and choosing genes should be done with full knowledge of lines, vet testing and also scientific knowledge of genetic combinations. There are some very dedicated breeders out there who care very much about the health and temperament of the dogs they breed and I applaud them, but, unfortunately there are far more people out there that call themselves breeders that have no knowledge and are producing genetically unsound animals, there is also another minority of people who are fully knowledgable but are "ethically challenged" and would rather risk the health of hundreds of puppies for sensationalism and a quick buck.

There are people trying to do that (or pretending to do that)
    There are now "breeds" that are called "The olde Englyshe Bulldogge" or "Victorian Bulldog" or whatever. the same goes for many other fashionable breeds

The "breeders" in their writeups do hark on about health and back to the old values and all that ...it is questionable however, how much of that is genuine interest and KNOWLEDGE (about genetics and all that) and how much of it is marketing. Much like the -doodles and -poos of this world, most of these "resurrected old standard" breeds are just accidental mongrels that look good and then are reproduced for marketability.

Breeding from two or more already defective purebreds and then inbreeding their offspring to create a "new" breed in effect is no different to what the show breeders have been doing for decades now ...just that the dogs look slightly different and therefore sell better.

As soon as you create a breed standard, be that for an established breed or a new invention, you're breeding for uniformity. Uniformity can only be achieved via exclusion of unwanted traits ...which in endeffect means nothing else but inbreeding ...again.

Whitser, I have had personal dealings with johnson bulldogs. Fantastic dogs, really good fun and friendly with a heart of gold and a willingness to protect. But again... riddled with problems, particularly around the hips, eyes and muzzle.

like i said i stand to be corrected, and i was. i've no personall experience of the bulldogs. as far as working breeds go, at a show a working dog should be judged on wether its capable of doing a days work. and bassetts i've seen at ikc shows arent. a neighbour of mine got a bassett last year and they had to get a face lift on the dog cos his eyes were hanging down so much. this comes from breeders trying to breed "sad" looking bassetts like you'd see on a cartoon.
    wether you hunt your dogs or not hunting breeds should always be of a sound constitution that would able them to spend a day in the field.
    a bulldog of today is an embaressment to what it should be like.

peasant wrote: »
    There are people trying to do that (or pretending to do that)
    There are now "breeds" that are called "The olde Englyshe Bulldogge" or "Victorian Bulldog" or whatever. the same goes for many other fashionable breeds

The "breeders" in their writeups do hark on about health and back to the old values and all that ...it is questionable however, how much of that is genuine interest and KNOWLEDGE (about genetics and all that) and how much of it is marketing. Much like the -doodles and -poos of this world, most of these "resurrected old standard" breeds are just accidental mongrels that look good and then are reproduced for marketability.

Breeding from two or more already defective purebreds and then inbreeding their offspring to create a "new" breed in effect is no different to what the show breeders have been doing for decades now ...just that the dogs look slightly different and therefore sell better.

As soon as you create a breed standard, be that for an established breed or a new invention, you're breeding for uniformity. Uniformity can only be achieved via exclusion of unwanted traits ...which in endeffect means nothing else but inbreeding ...again.
    true. this is were the k c has failed so badly. putting so much envises of a breed standard rather then the physical soundness of a breed.
    look at german sheps, in the quest to get that sloped back looked most k c sheps are crippled by the time they 7 yrs.

a bulldog of today is an embaressment to what it should be like.

The Johnson bulldog is impressive mind you and they can move when they want to. For such a giant dog, they are agile and incredibly strong. Just a shame about the thoroughbred issues...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

peasant wrote: »

I don't know peasant, I own 2 working dogs. A lab and an english setter. Both come from parents who were mated for positive traits (health and ability) not to exclude unwanted ones.

I'll take the lab as an example. When breeding people ask for the hip score and results of eye exams (2 common health problems with labs). I have the paper work for this and if they don't like the results they wont breed with my dog as they know there is a chance that the offspring simply wont be able to work due to poor health.

I know for a fact though that breeders like this (who breed taking health into account) are a minority so I can see where you are coming from

Breeding and choosing genes should be done with full knowledge of lines, vet testing and also scientific knowledge of genetic combinations.

The main problem there is that there is no scientific knowledge of genetic combinations ...not to the full extent anyway.

Concerned breeders have tried (successfully in some cases) to breed out some obvious defects ...only to introduce others unbeknownst to them through the back door that only raise their ugly head some generations down the line.

Genetics isn't like simple maths where 1 + 1 equals 2...it's more like a lottery ...throw in some natural mutations and the possibilities (for catastrophy most of the time) become endless.

The other problem of course is that the canine genepool overall is now so compromised that finding healthy examples has become almost impossible.

a breed standard should be a guide not a blue print. whats happened is show breeders have bred for type that will win ribbons and dont care about in breeding or passing on genetic faults and the k c has allowed this mentallity to foster.
    there was a time when a working dog couldnt be a show champion unless it was a winner in field trials also. on the continent its still like that. thats why in places like france you'll still get pedigree wire fox terriers and smooth type that are working and hunting, and even if they not they still physically capable of doing it. the smooth fox terrier over here is ridiculos looking with its freakishly long face and big body,that could never do any sort of terrier work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

The main problem there is that there is no scientific knowledge of genetic combinations ...not to the full extent anyway.

I agree there. I didn't say it was easy and it is why knowledge of lines and careful assessment at every generation is also necessary. It is really an art form that needs a reasonable scientific knowledge to do it really well. Introduction of healthier genes from lines that haven't been bred within strict breed specifications should be looked at. I don't know whether it would work, but they need to get some broader genes introduced into the equation - especially if you are cutting out all the lines that carry some of the serious health problems. When you try to breed out the defects you are reducing your gene pool by even more and then you start to see some of the defects carried by the so far healthy bloodlines that may have been masked by the ones we are seeing now. These will not necessarily be less serious defects, just that they weren't bred into so heavily so they hadn't appeared in a large number of dogs. With breeds like the pugs that have a smaller gene pool than the giant panda, without finding some new genetic material from somewhere you will certainly see more health problems appearing as time goes by.

I'm not too sure whether breeds like the bulldog and the pug and a few others can be ultimately saved, considering bulldogs and more and more pugs cannot even breed without major assistance.

i think breeds could be saved by allowing out crosses to different but similar breeds. eg- bulldogs x staffs or johnson bull dogs. but then kc would loose their all important pure breeding even though its freakishly sh1te breeding. basically breeders/kc have to ask whats more important pure lines of crap or out crossed lines that are as free as possible from horrible genetic faults.
    my quess is money will win out,and they stay with pure sh1te.

article-1046614-025569B500000578-854_468x338_popup.jpg

now that bull dog is just wrong. i cant see that bassett doing much hunting. but that type will sell for big money, and there in lies your problem. its wrong. people want a dog that looks like a cartoon character of its breed and will pay big money for it. bull dogs for about 1500 euro.

the dogue the bordeux will go the same way as the bull dog. already see adds in buy and sell "big chunky pups,lots of wrinkles", also go for big money, mark my words that breed is next.

Out of interest, which "pedigree" breeds have the least problems?

the ones that dont sell for big money.

the ones that dont sell for big money.

True.

I would have thought that something like a Doberman would have few genetic issues. But I am only basing that on the look of the dog! But if you look at a Pug and then a Doberman, and ask any person which they thought was the healthier dog.....I'm pretty sure I know which most would pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Dobermans can be prone to von Wilebrand's disease and hip problems too, but by and large they are robust dogs. They don't like being cold though, or at least my chap didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Thanks Whitser, have it tagged, its on channel 141 on the sky box. It is a disgrace what has been done to so many fine breeds of dogs and the suffering they now endure. The KC's have alot to answer for!

• Advertisement

The KC's have alot to answer for!

They sure do! However, it would be wrong to place the blame solely at their door. The consumerist attitude that comes with dog ownership these days is what keeps it all going. It would all end very quickly if people stopped buying these poor degenerate dogs.

Advertisement