Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EFlow Barrier-Free Tolling system "Free"

Options
  • 10-08-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭

some of you'll have read on friday, the story:
    California's FasTrak system completely insecure

Various different systems in Ireland use the same technology..EFlow is atm accepting registrations for a launch at the end of this month..currently there is an ad campaign on the radio..not sure about tv.

The other companies..
    EazyPass, Etrip, Directroute, Eirtag or ParkMagic

the reason i bring it up is obvious, how secure is this system? not that i care so much, but i like the idea of people who pay their taxes getting to use the roads for free..its only right.

why pay tax when the government just give it to the fat cats to charge the public?

i'm pretty sure it would be eazy to read a business tag and clone it..its just an RFID after all? - well, some probably already did it and keep it a secret, we'll wait and see.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Nate Lawson authored a really detailed article on the Fastrak system in the U.S.

http://www.root.org/talks/BH2008_HackingTollSystems.pdf

btw, i'm not condoning rfid cloning, just curious if its possible for these particular tags, because if it is, then it WILL happen eventually.

i can see a complete disruption to the system if it relies upon the RFID for identification initially.
    a simple attack would be to swap the ids of drivers..it could be just plain mischief but likely to cause alot of headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

You are not dealing with the dumb NRA here!

This is being operated by www.sanef.com, hiding behind a crappy oirish brand name invented probably by some English person to make them look really stupid!

Every RFID tag will be matched with a license plate as it passes under the gantry system.

And if you clone n copies of an RFID tag (to sell), you presumably will have n cars with different license numbers using the same tag ID which the system will pick up within a few milliseconds.

While all this data collection using traffic cameras [Automated License Plate Recognition] is illegal under the German constitution (as determined by the Bundesverfassungsgericht - http://www.bverfg.de/entscheidungen/rs20080311_1bvr207405.html) the Irish constitution is much more vague on personal privacy issues of this nature.

They are probably locked into another juicy contract with sanef for a zillion years - which would cost everybody €€€€€€€€€€ to get out of. There is only one solution! Move to a country with good public transport!

Unless www.dataprivacy.ie does the job they are paid to do, and ends up with a breach of privacy determination which makes the contract with sanef sort of "ultra vires" forcing them to shut the operation down - a snowballs chance in hell of that happening. They would probably reinstall the vandalised toll booths, with just two lanes, and increase the toll to €5 for cars to reap vengeance on the travelling public!

The main issue here is false license plate recognition from cars that don't have RFID tags to confirm their identity. This technology is less than 99% accurate. With 100,000 vehicles per diem, that implies around 1,000 false readings per day. Deduct the cars with RFID tags who will mainly be "self correcting". You will still be left with hundreds of false positives who will be getting bills and fines in the post, while there car is provably somewhere else. Not to mention the victims who can't prove that their car was not on the M50 at the time in question. And no independent appeal system, which stinks in terms of constitutional law.

.probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Every RFID tag will be matched with a license plate as it passes under the gantry system.

And if you clone n copies of an RFID tag (to sell), you presumably will have n cars with different license numbers using the same tag ID which the system will pick up within a few milliseconds.

OK, just for fun - here is "stupid" idea which i meant to post.
    consider electronic paper as your number plate.

why not? :D yes, its expensive, but these NRA suckas think they're making a good investment and lets prove them wrong. :P

They could start selling RFID that use public-key crypto, but then they'd have to increase the cost of tags and piss everybody off even more!
    Unless www.dataprivacy.ie does the job they are paid to do..

lets not put faith in that, we're in ireland after all.
    where even the likes of Gary Glitter get to hide out and have privacy protected.

before too long, people will make a mockery of this system - plenty do already.
    toll-roads shouldn't be in-place first of all..you pay enough tax already ffs.

~50 billion last year, what did they do with it?? who knows - give it to toll companies to build roads?..

Advertisement