Vets in Dundalk - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-08-2008, 20:11   #1
Bored-Stupid

Vets in Dundalk

Hi all,

Really need a quick response on this one.I have a 6 year old golden labrador male, and he is very skinny, not going to the toilet, even though we got tablets to cure constipation off a vet and he isnt walking with us. He sits refusing to budge.

My dad mentioned that he may need to be put down. That really scared me so can someone please tell me of a good vet in Dundalk or surrounding areas.
I dont have a load of money but im willing to pay as much as I can to get him well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My previous vet isnt great so if I could have any suggestions.

Thanks for reading
Advertisement
04-08-2008, 21:47   #2
merryhappy

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your dog, doesn't sound to me like he would need to be put down though.

I'm not to sure about vets in Dundalk, the name Brian Jones springs to mind not sure where he is based but I think it could be Dundalk, one of my friends highly reccommends him.

If all else fails Allpets on the Donore Rd in Drogheda are fantastic, their number is 041-9810000

In the meantime try and get him to drink plenty of water even use a syringe if you have to, and try him woth some hot chicken or ha, something tasty.
05-08-2008, 09:18   #3
Puppies

Michael Cahill - Dundalk 042 9357000 very good vet
05-08-2008, 13:22   #4
miceal

The Veterinary center on the coes road
05-08-2008, 18:16   #5
Bored-Stupid

Thanks guys really appreciate it.

Is that one on the coes road the one with Orla Brennan, she won some award a few years ago. Sure I will give one of them a shout and I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
Advertisement
06-08-2008, 14:43   #6
bettedavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppies View Post
Michael Cahill - Dundalk 042 9357000 very good vet
Michael Cahill, alphonsus road down by the redempt church...............oh my good, the nicest and most caring vet ever. needed a vet in a hurry one day and my usual was shut so dropped in here and he went out of his way to be helpful. have been to quite a few vets over the years and some of them can tend to be dismissive of the animals but he nearly over does it. call s them baby and chats to them like they're kids. i would go no where else again. it's nearly a pleasure to have a pet ill he just restores your faith in animal lovers. I adore my animals like children and it's nice to think that i'm leaving them with someone who cares as much as i do. there is another vet in the town who hasn't been mentioned here who i think is the animal worlds version of harold shipman!!!
06-08-2008, 22:58   #7
spottykatt

Avenue road vets(042)9339648
Thanks from:
07-08-2008, 08:26   #8
sudzs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettedavis View Post
Michael Cahill, alphonsus road down by the redempt church...............oh my good, the nicest and most caring vet ever. needed a vet in a hurry one day and my usual was shut so dropped in here and he went out of his way to be helpful. have been to quite a few vets over the years and some of them can tend to be dismissive of the animals but he nearly over does it. call s them baby and chats to them like they're kids. i would go no where else again. it's nearly a pleasure to have a pet ill he just restores your faith in animal lovers. I adore my animals like children and it's nice to think that i'm leaving them with someone who cares as much as i do. there is another vet in the town who hasn't been mentioned here who i think is the animal worlds version of harold shipman!!!
Oh no!!! I went there a couple of times and found it too much! Couldn't fault his vetinary skills but I couldn't stomach the cutesy poochy poo talk! Though I wonder if I sent the husband in with the dog would it be the same of would there be a more "manly" consultation.

But yes, good vet but pricey.
07-08-2008, 22:14   #9
Graceland

I always found the vets on the Avenue Road really good. My dog had to have three operations within a couple of years for cancer and they always did a good job. I would definetly recommend them.
Advertisement
08-08-2008, 00:20   #10
TommyT
Awaiting Email Confirmation

We use Brian Jones in Blackrock (beside the entrance to Ard Na Mara) He is an excellent vet and easy on the pocket. He was reccomended to us by a neighbour, who has been using him for years.
10-08-2008, 12:54   #11
Bored-Stupid

Hey guys.

Thanks very much for all your help. I ended up going to the one on the coes road who I wouldnt particularly recommend. Seemed too interested in their pockets than my Frankie, who unfortunately lost his life to cancer last Friday afternoon while getting x rays taken. Although there is a worse vet in Dundalk who I would avoid at all costs. Best not say it here but PM me if you want the name.

I will definitely try one of your suggestions if I was to get another dog.
Also if you know anyone looking to give a golden labrador a good home we would be only too happy to oblige.

Nicest dog in the world and im going to miss him dearly.

Thanks again
10-08-2008, 23:09   #12
Dundalk Daily

I found the guys on the Ave rd quite rough and uninterested in the animal. Im also looking for a new vet.

My dog is v big and its quite difficult moving him, do any of the vets call out or would they charge an arm and a leg to do so?
11-08-2008, 20:13   #13
gipi

Hey bored-s,
sorry to read that your dog didn't make it.
14-08-2008, 19:50   #14
dogsbiz

Hi there,

I personelly have experience with the vets on the coe's road and I have to say there are a mixed bunch. All the girls are really nice and the polish vet could not be more helpful. When going to vets you really need to ask yourself what exactly are you paying for. A fake happy front or a vet that knows ther stuff and will treat your animal to the best of their ability. Most of the veterinary practices in Dundalk are good, just not all the vets in them. (If you know what IM saying)
14-08-2008, 20:39   #15
Mr Magnolia

Very sorry to hear you lost your dog :-(

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion