Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Veggie burger recipe

Options
  • 24-07-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

I'm having a BBQ this weekend - want to serve the veggies a good burger.
    I usually do one with chickpeas and it ends up kinda dry/or falling apart!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

check out www.vegweb.com. I have to admit that the burgers I make do end up crumbling up... It is quite an issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I have a good nutburger one somewhere, it's vegan too!! Unfortunately don't have it on me atm, it's in the cheap and easy cookbook by rose elliot. Which is in my house.

PS that's a pretty good cookbook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

You can get vegan egg substitute in health food shops. There should be an easier way to stop the burgers falling apart though... you could also try mixing in something like scrambled tofu because it should help bind it when cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They aren't vegans, so egg is not an issue. I might mash up a few spuds with the chickpeas to see if they bind better and hold more moisture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I really love the taste of the burgamix packets, yum yum.

• Advertisement

I, on the other hand, will feel sick while/after eating them. The first time, it tasted fine. Not sure why the change...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

because they were nice and you ate them every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Man, they're awful! They taste like dog food.

Then you can not cook them right :-), I have gotten meat eaters to say they like them more than real burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    0.5 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    0.5 onion, cut into wedges
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    8 g chili powder
    6 g cumin
    5 ml Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
    55 g bread crumbs

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Or preheat oven to 190 degrees and lightly oil a baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
    In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
    In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
    Stir the mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
    If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.

• Advertisement

Then you can not cook them right :-), I have gotten meat eaters to say they like them more than real burgers.

Tar, give up. Liking Chef brown sauce leaves you in the odd minority, liking odd foods :P

You talk to seamus about this, I win!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Bloody hell, you even eat fake brown sauce! You know the real stuff is veggie?!

You don't bad mouth chef brown sauce !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'm making this one up on de spot but I'm sure it'd be savage;

Boil n mash some spuds
    Fry a couple of onions in some olive oil with some chili
    grate a couple of carrots
    lightly blitz some soaked nuts and seeds
    Mash a couple of tins of chickpeas
    Cut up some fresh mint and lots of fresh corriander
    mix it all up in a big bowl and throw in some grated raw garlic, chili powder, curry powder and some stock powder dissolved a tiny bit of uisce, a dollop of tahini or peanut butter and a swirl of olive oil.
    Form into patties n roll in sesame seeds and fry, grill or bake on a non stick pan or on baking parchment.

Serve with lots of mango chutney and a yummy fresh salad no need for a bun as theres carbs in the burgers already cos of the spuds.

You can make them for us next time and we'll let you know if they are good.

What's the craic with soaking nuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

What's the craic with soaking nuts?

Way nicer texture

Hmm, wonder what it's like, I'll try but if I end up with soggy nuts.

*shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

/stifles laughter

/fails

:D

Advertisement