Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Men

Options
  • 18-07-2008 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article4352221.ece

"The smoking, drinking and sexism of Mad Men has made Emmy Award history after bagging 16 nominations and securing a shot at the prestigious Outstanding Drama Series gong.

The critically acclaimed show, set in a 1960s advertising agency, and Damages, an American legal drama, are the first basic-cable programmes ever to be nominated for the best series award. "

I can't recommend this enough, and this from someone who doesn't watch telly any more, just what i like from the internet.

Started watching this online at the weekend, and i'm hooked ! Have watched 8 out of the 13 episodes so far.

Apart from all the "Life on Mars" type in-jokes about life in 1960, this tv series has it all. Compelling drama, and a bit of mystery & comedy thrown in.

Well worth it for the discerning tv viewer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

new series starts next week

Great show which rightly cleaned up at the Emmys last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw that, quite right too.

Mike.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Great show which rightly cleaned up at the Emmys last night.
    It wasn't the Emmys - it was the TV critics awards. It's been nominated for the Emmys.

It's good but "The Wire" is a far superior show and it's a shame it's got so over looked. Still "Mad Men" is a polished production and hopefully Season 2 will maintain the fast-paced action-orientated storylines that were the hallmark of the first season ;)

har har! Some of us prefer charcater over akshun!

Mike.

• Advertisement

My bad, was reading the Emmy nominations and critics awards one after another earlier.

The Wire is certainly a far superior show but it's never recieved the acclaim it so rightly deserves and I think I've resigned myself to the fact that it never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭BenjAii

Finished watching Series 1 now and I'm really impressed with the whole thing. Having done some research, the guy who wrote it, Matthew Weiner was one of the main writers on 'The Sopranos'; so he has a pedigree with brilliant writing for TV.

I think it's fascinating the way he uses advertising (as it was in 1960) as the backdrop for exploring fake appearances and the essence of truth behind things.

I think Peggy is the most interesting character. Played to type, hers would be a very conventional story of plucky girl wins through and probably gets the man. But she's a mix of naivete, and sexual cunning and you can tell she doesn't have the self-knowledge to know when she is playing which card; she's ignorant and doing it all on instinct.

The Don Draper character is the epitome of all this, but i don't know, I find him just a bit to unbelievable. He's frequently presented as kind and decent (and not just when he's doing it for political effect) but he seems so untroubled by his heartlessness.

I could kind of believe it, if that just to do with the women in his life, but his treatment of his brother was just too much. Someone that much of a bastard, couldn't really redeem themselves. Oh well, back to 'Sapranos' territory I suppose..

Really looking forward to Season 2 on this, going by who's in charge, chances are they won't drop the ball.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i couldn't figure out where i'd seen pete before, had to look it up to realise he was conor from angel. what a transformation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

Ok so today so the announcement that this autumn RTE will broadcast Mad Men, a AMC American drama. It is created by a guy that worked on the Sopranos created David Chase. It is in its second series in the US. To date the show has been a success winning many awards and also being nominated for several. If my memoory serves me right I believe an actor in the series who a best actor award.

Looks like it may be another HBO hit. Looking forward to it being televised in Sept. or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

For starters it's not made by HBO.

It's a great series, already enjoying Season 2. RTE are very much behind the times with this one.

Definitely worth a watch though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thats_life

whats the jist of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 TheScript

my bad, its the show Generation Kill i was thinking of thats made by HBO.Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

thats_life wrote: »
    whats the jist of it?
    It's set in the early 1960s, set primarily around the Advertising execs in a Madison Avenue ad agency. It's not a very fast paced series, but I think it's very good.

Its made by AMC. There is already thread about this show, and as Amz has said everyone is waiting for series two which starts on BBC4 next winter/spring.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread merged with original from a few weeks ago.

I watch Episode 1 a few weeks ago to see what it was all about, and I liked it alot. Great writing, authentic setting and very good acting. An excellent adult drama....

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Series 1 starts on RTE2 on Monday Sept 1st at 11:30pm

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Bought the season 1 boxset and WOW is this show amazing.

The look is probably the best I've seen in a TV show, ever, and the performances are top notch.

It really is a trip back in time to a different world.

another reason why TV absolutely owns film these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

*BUMP*

Does anyone know when RTE are airing season 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If you have BBC4, season 2 is starting on Tuesday 10 Feb at 10pm. RTE usually try to pip the UK stations at the post so that they can say 'see it first on RTE2', so watch out for it on RTE in the days before then.

Bump! I forgot :eek:

Its repeated on BBC2 N Ireland 12:20am Thu 12 Feb and BBC4 11:30pm Fri 13 Feb.

Please use [spoilers] if discussing plot lines etc.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Bump! I forgot :eek:

Its repeated on BBC2 N Ireland 12:20am Thu 12 Feb and BBC4 11:30pm Fri 13 Feb.

Please use [spoilers] if discussing plot lines etc.

I forgot too, crap

Got my grubby mitts on all of season 2.

awesome.

Ps: Anyone read today(Tuesday's) guardian TV section?
    VERY negative write up on Mad Men. "all style no substance" "missed an excellent chance to show the hollowness of the American dream" etc.

Just watched first episode, not a lot happens beautifully :)

mike65 wrote: »
    Just watched first episode, not a lot happens beautifully :)
    Huh I thought it was on at 12.20 a.m? Or was that last night? Damn you and your confusing times.

You can catch it again Friday at 11.30 pm BBC 4 (last chance though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Love this show.

Am I the only who who dislikes Don Draper though?

Mezcita wrote: »
    Love this show.

Am I the only who who dislikes Don Draper though?

You're probably supposed to dislike him.
    He's just another outlay for "There are no truly good or evil people, everyone is somewhere in between" theme that every single American TV show adheres to these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm tempted to give this a go on DVD unless it's airing somewhere at the moment.

3rd season now long to go now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

While we,re on the subject whats hapened to series 2 on rte1 monday nights? They seemed to stop showing it halfway through.

Advertisement