Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal friendly footwear

Options
  • 10-07-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I've been wearing boots for years now obtained from Vegetarian shoes in the UK but am getting sick of just wearing boots. I need to know if anyone can recomend animal friendly runners or other footwear that I can buy in Ireland.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Inglorious

The standard Converse runners are 100% vegetarian. They are made out of textile and rubber. You should be able to get them in pretty much any footwear shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 wetdog

Is there anywhere in the Dublin area that sells non-leather formal footwear?

I don't own a pair of formal shoes and I have to go to a wedding next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Eoghanacht wrote: »
    I've been wearing boots for years now obtained from Vegetarian shoes in the UK but am getting sick of just wearing boots. I need to know if anyone can recomend animal friendly runners or other footwear that I can buy in Ireland.

Thanks.

I picked up two pairs of Dunlop shoes in Schuh. 36 euro. canvas type. Perfect!
    You have to look at the labels and price tag; if it's cheap its a good sign it's vegan! 3400017270m1.jpg

I also bought a pair of runners a while back in Penneys. I hate to admit to shopping there, but: 6 euro; not a bit of leather.

wetdog: Formal shoes; I would imagine online shops like http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/ and http://www.veganstore.co.uk/ are your best bet. I know you don't have much time. Just borrow a pair from a friend and then you have plenty of time to invest for the next formal event! :)

But anyone looking for plain black shoes for work - schuh do plain black plimpsole type 1308857070_lg.jpg, 1308867050_lg.jpg. Sadly I think these are the women's shoes only.

Good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Alice Crocs are lovely - just google them. Dont get them here though I get mine through taylors shoes website and its takes about a week for them to be delivered here.

Have ordered shoes twice now and have been very happy with the service.

Oh sorry just realised you are not a laydee!!

Anyway have a look at Crocs as they do other types of shoes not just the big lumpy ones with holes in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

No need to buy animal-friendly shoes, just watch where you step!
    >_>

• Advertisement

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    No need to buy animal-friendly shoes, just watch where you step!
    >_>

Not quite helpful; watch it. :rolleyes: Most shoes are made using suede and it is a valid concern with may vegetarians and vegan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Inglorious wrote: »
    The standard Converse runners are 100% vegetarian. They are made out of textile and rubber. You should be able to get them in pretty much any footwear shop.

Not completely true, you have to check is the shoe dye vegetarian. ;)

Give us a link then Tar! A link on shoe dies. I look forward to this...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is a shoe shop up the street from the georges st arcade on the stephens green side that used to sell vegetarian shoes as well as others,no idea if it is still there but it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

That footware place is long gone!

Do Pennys do mens formal shoes in non-leather materials like they do for ladies shoes? If so you could try there or maybe Dunnes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I tried both but no luck. I managed to get formal shoes in England once that were quite good, but I found it difficult to get them here. Bought them online in the end (in Alternative Outfitters).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/ have nice shoes and runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

:O I didn't know shoe dye could be non-vegetarian! Would it be cochineal or something? I know some shoes have animal glues in them, but they're so hard to trace unless marked veggie. :(

I usually buy my shoes in Schuh or Clarks, the shop assistants are usually happy to check the box for me to see if it's all man-made. A girl's gotta have shoes ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know how you would figure out if the dye was non-vegetarian, along with glue. Gotta ask the makers I suppose, some child in a faraway place. ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are willing to buy online, LoveThoseShoes in the UK have a vegan selection of 'earth' shoes.
    I find them very comfortable.

those shoes do look nice spurious. i especially like the vegan symbol beside each pair :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Eoghanacht

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm after buying 3 pairs of runners lately. I got 2 pairs of canvas skate shoes in TK Maxx in Kilkenny and Limerick. I also got a pair of Dunlop Plimsoles in Schu in Limerick. TK Maxx seems to have a good selection of animal friendly footwear.

Once again

Thanks.

:) glad you found some

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Right, this just jumped out at me from the pages of the latest Totally Dublin - Maven Boutique in Aungier St. (pass the original Govindas on Sth. Great Georges St. and walk on another minute, it's on the other side of the street tho) are stocking a range of ("absurdly stylish") vegan shoes, called Cri de Cour - the Portugese designer is vegan;
    http://www.cri-de-coeur.com/2009/spring2009.html

Maven is online at;
    http://www.mavenboutique.com/

Prolly a little pricey but defo not fugly :)

Might try to pop in tomorrow for a goo.

cool :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Right, this just jumped out at me from the pages of the latest Totally Dublin - Maven Boutique in Aungier St. (pass the original Govindas on Sth. Great Georges St. and walk on another minute, it's on the other side of the street tho) are stocking a range of ("absurdly stylish") vegan shoes, called Cri de Cour - the Portugese designer is vegan;
    http://www.cri-de-coeur.com/2009/spring2009.html

Maven is online at;
    http://www.mavenboutique.com/

Prolly a little pricey but defo not fugly :)

Might try to pop in tomorrow for a goo.

Great news. Would love to hear what you think of them. Hope they are not too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Weyhey wrote: »
    Great news. Would love to hear what you think of them. Hope they are not too expensive.

Right, notes;

1. The Manageress was out so it was her delightful friend holding the fort, that I talked to. Since she couldn't answer all my questions, she took my email addy for their mailing list.

2. Only saw a couple of items - PVC-ish black boots, wine croc heels, both in the €100-200 range. There is a 40% Sale on at the mo, so I suspect that those prices are pre-sales discount.

3. 40% off everything at the mo, prolly for next 3 weeks.

4. They stock a range by a vegan dress designer too!!! I think it is Lara Miller. One of their designers works in hemp and bamboo fabrics.
    I'm not vegan, so I got to perv over the silk and cashmere...a bit.

5. Store is quite sparse but v. stylish. I'm not v. girlie but I did like their stuff.

I'm probably not the best person to review style items so another opinion or 3 would be welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Xandrius

I have a problem that is a bit diffrent, I have really big feet so I use a size 15-16 and there is a real problem to get veggie shoes in this size. Do any of you know of any shops that sell shoe sizes that are this big. I have tried footlocker but the biggest there was 13, so if anyone can help I will be glad :)

Sounds a bit tricky, can they order shoes for you, or have you tried the net?

Sounds a bit tricky, can they order shoes for you, or have you tried the net?

Yeah I have tried the net before, but since I have such big feet its a bit scary to order there also since I can never know if they fit. But I guess I will have to do that or just buy my shoes in Norway when Im home on vacation. We have this one shoe store in Oslo called Big Shoes and that one is really nice but they dont sell to many shoes that aren`t made of leather so I usually have to buy the leather shoes and that I dont like to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭fitzgese

Yeah I have the same problem myself, I'm looking for men's semi-formal/work shoes. In the past I have ordered vegetarian shoes off the web, and while they fit, they aren't perfect, and are quite uncomfortable to wear for long periods, so aren't really suitable to be wearing 8+ hours per day. I have also bought Vegetarian shoes in a store in New York, and while they seemed to fit perfectly at the time, they are not really suitable for continuous wear.

I borrowed some shoes off my mates, and I think that the top of my foot, where my toes are, is a bit wider than most people's, so it's not so much that the size is wrong but rather than the shoe doesn't fit my particular foot shape. I can get leather shoes that do fit, but I'd rather not if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

There are a lot of shops carrying Veg options these days, people just need to ask, I work in a footwear store myself and we have a lot of shoes both runners/womens heels etc, that are animal free.:pac:

AlcoholicA wrote: »
    There are a lot of shops carrying Veg options these days, people just need to ask, I work in a footwear store myself and we have a lot of shoes both runners/womens heels etc, that are animal free.:pac:

Thats good but I guess you dont have size 15-16, do you? If you do I will come right down :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

sorry! the only place i could recommend is TKmax in the green they usually have big sizes and a friend got vegan shoes there before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ah i thought i mentioned this in here...:confused:

Anyhoo a vegan friend of mine bought trainers from Schuh i think that were canvas based and the glue was made free from animal use:) I'll have to ask her again about them.

Advertisement