Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graded stock Sale Scam at the Burlington hotel 6th July

Options
  • 07-07-2008 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I went along to the Burlington Hotel yesterday to see one of these “graded stock” sales are all about.

1. You walk into a room with a load of electical/electronic products display stacked at least 4m high. Most of it is complete rubbish except for a couple of brand name plasma tvs. The reason for the height of the display creates a smokescreen to what is going on behind the scenes. A dodgy mancunian salesman , will then appear on a platform at the top of the display, and run through the “rules”.

2. Even though it is advertised as a sale, it is indeed an auction. Although it is not your standard auction as the auctioneer does not actually listen to the bids. Basically he starts at a ridiculously low price and everyone puts their hand up. He then quickly increases the price and then stops once he reaches the price he wants to sell at. Then miraculously he has a larger qty of the item to sell than he did before the “bidding” started. Then it’s a case of “who all wants to buy this at €150”?. Panic buying ensues as everyone thinks that they are getting a bargain.

3. There are a team of goons working for the auctioneer and handing out reserve cards. They wander amongst the bidders occasionally shouting back to the auctioneer “someone interested in a plasma tv/ipod/sat nav” when nobody has actually said anything to them. These goons also shout out bids during the auction which intentionally causes all sorts of confusion. Its all about creating a manic atmosphere, and given that there were 800 people, who had all paid €2 in ( €1600 in the bag straight away), it was certainly manic.

The goons write the product and price on your reserve card. Doesn’t put his name on the card or anything. Everyone who wants one gets one, all of a sudden supply is not an issue (There is tons of the stuff behind the 4m display!)

5. Once you have a product and price written on your reserve card, you can then collect it at the till paying by cash or credit card. No cheques are accepted. No receipts are given…you are also given a leaflet stating that no refunds will be given, under any circumstances.

6. Now onto the products themselves,
    The dodgy salesman claims to be selling graded stock from Brown Thomas, Argos, Currys, Dixons & Pc world. Would be great if someone from these companies can confirm or deny this claim, as apparently the dodgy salesman has a sell or return deal with them. If that’s the case, these reputable chains are accessories to fraud, deception and robbery.

Apart from a couple of brand name tvs and ipods, which are sold to “plants”. The merchandise is cheap and nasty goods made in china which I’ve never seen in the shops.

Eg: MiWi – A worthless imitation of the Nintendo Wii. Cleverly packaged to look like the real thing. Its connected to your tv by old RCA cables (not SCART). You can only play the games that it comes with, which are completely rubbish. The auctioneer wont tell you this. It’s a Wii. Although he never mentions Nintendo. But he’s intentionally duping people who couldn’t tell the difference. Sold for €70, worth €10.

Eg: Speed HD7Z video Camera. Japanese made video camera. Try searching on the internet and you wont find much info about it. Before the bid , a top brand name 12 mega Pixel Video Camera is passed amongs the bidders, but this piece of junk, a 5mega Pixel camera which looks exactly like the top brand name, is actually handed over upon payment. “ you’ve got yourself an €800 camera for €350” proclaims the dodgy salesman” – complete lies…... You can buy a Speed HD7Z camera for $280 online, a lot less than the dodgy salesman sells it for, but either way you are buying junk.

Dodgy vacuum cleaners, stereos, HD Video recorders, laptops, sat navs, mp3 players, kitchen appliances, and kitchenware are also sold amongst the confusion and deception.

I reckon that the dodgy salesman, sold at least €100,000 of junk over 3 auctions. Along with at least €3000 in entrance fees. So yes he may have sold a Plasma TV for €300 less than you’d pay in the shops, but with no guarantee or comeback.

I am sure that there are hundreds of people out of pocket today with new gadgets that don’t work, and no way of returning them.

I have the name and address of the dodgy salesman and his company (the address on the flyer is not the correct address). If anyone wants this then let me know.

Also lets keep this post open for anyone to add details of how they were scammed in the Burlington yesterday.

Also does anyone know of any future auctions? People need to be warned!

Also the Burlington Hotel should surely accept some responsibilty for allowing such an event to be staged there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

I went along to the same scam it was held in the Red Cow Inn a couple of years ago. It was the exact same set up - dodgy sales man, "helpers" walking the floor and bidding on the items and obvious pattsies in the audience buying plasma screens etc. Sales mans line at the time for selling dodgy goods was Argos has this at such and such a price but I can sell it to you today for - then the "helpers" would shout up bids and he'd accept which ever price he'd want for them!! The leaflet at the time stated that the company was based in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I say if people are stupid enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BistoKid

Yep it was a Carlow based "company" on Sunday. Said that they previously used the Red Cow but the hotel wasnt up to a particular standard!
    It was unbelievable how much cash was being spent, and the fact that no receipts were given out!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I remember going with my parents to one of these auctions back in 1985 I'd say in the local hotel.

They're an old scam, and it's amazing that they're still being held and that people are still buying into them.

The first rule of consumer club: If it looks too good to be true, then it probably, almost certainly is too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Went for sh|t and giggles, got a glass chess set for a fiver, all I bought. Rest was cheap sh|te that I wouldn't touch. Would go again, as it's fun watching them. Better than some of the soaps on the TV :D

As for the company based in Carlow, I remember checking it up, and finding it. You must remember, the sale is legit. The way it's done is legit. The people who have the money to spend on this sh|te don't know any better, and the ringmaster does a great job getting rid of the stuff. Most, if not all, has been brought over from pound shops in the UK, and vice-versa over there from here, so you don't know the brands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I used to work for brown thomas a few years ago and i sincerely doubt they would have made a deal with these people. When stock was faulty we either sent it back or it had to be destroyed on site, i had to cut up hundreds if not thousands of euro worth of clothes because brown thomas wouldn't allow them to be given away to a charity shop as they felt it would 'cheapen' the brand. As regards sale stock it went on sale and if it wasn't sold it was just left in the stock room or sent to another branch. Its possible the policy has changed but i doubt it!

At least you got youre money's worth, Syco....Did the glass chess set have all the pieces?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

the_syco wrote: »
    You must remember, the sale is legit. The way it's done is legit.

Even telling people they are buying an expensive brand name and then handing the buyers a piece of crap that looks vaguely similar, like that camera? No receipts and no refunds.

Interesting that they take credit cards. How easy would it be for people to do chargebacks on these items?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I also wounder about their vat compliance

Kahless wrote: »
    Even telling people they are buying an expensive brand name and then handing the buyers a piece of crap that looks vaguely similar, like that camera? No receipts and no refunds.

Interesting that they take credit cards. How easy would it be for people to do chargebacks on these items?

Good point, charge back and post the item back!

• Advertisement

Given that the majority of the sales were cash, I'd imagine that very little of it will actually be declared. They probably tell the taxman that they sold at a loss anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This sort of thing has been going on since the year dot.

If people are stupid enough to get sucked in and buy over-priced junk, they deserve it.

Although I would love to know where these 'auctions' stand legally...

Surely if they pass around a brand name camera for people to look at and after bidding give you another camera i would imagine there's an issue there. Also if people/goons are making fake bids, isn't that illegal at an auction?

These people must be operating from the trotter school of trading ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sheepshagger

BistoKid wrote: »

5. Once you have a product and price written on your reserve card, you can then collect it at the till paying by cash or credit card. No cheques are accepted. No receipts are given…you are also given a leaflet stating that no refunds will be given, under any circumstances.

If nothing else this is illegal !

Maybe the fact that they advertise it as a stock clearance/sale instead of an auction means that they are not legally required to adhere to the rules of a bona fide auction?
    The dodgy salesman definitely didnt drive home in a reliant robin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

LolaDub wrote: »
    I used to work for brown thomas a few years ago and i sincerely doubt they would have made a deal with these people. When stock was faulty we either sent it back or it had to be destroyed on site, i had to cut up hundreds if not thousands of euro worth of clothes because brown thomas wouldn't allow them to be given away to a charity shop as they felt it would 'cheapen' the brand. As regards sale stock it went on sale and if it wasn't sold it was just left in the stock room or sent to another branch. Its possible the policy has changed but i doubt it!

Well duhhhhhh :)

One of the oldest scams in the book .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

was at one of these years ago in Bray - total mayhem.

the real genius is getting the punters to pay in - not only are you getting money for nothing, but having paid in punters feel obliged to buy something, no matter how small or crappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Went to one of these before but did actually get a good deal! I got a high spec mountain bike for E80, nearest to it in the local bike shop was about 250. Had to assemble it myself, but was worth it....til it was stolen in UCD :mad:

Does anyone know if another “graded stock sale” is happening anywhere in Ireland this coming weekend?
    I really need a glass chess set and a flat packed bicycle, and the ones in argos are just a bit too flashy and expensive for me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was at one of these around 1995, some dodgy company from Carlow is all I remember about them, could be the same crowd still. Anyway, it was amazing the amount of crap being peddled as top quality. Plastic cameras worth a fiver, being sold for closer to 50. Hifi stereos, TVs, camcorders, etc, all crap. They had a few top quality Sony and Panasonic stuff that got "bought" by some lucky plant person in order to get the crowd riled up. I've since seen similar advertisements in Dublin, Waterford and Limerick, probably the exact same company. Always held in a well known hotel, Jurys, Lynch, etc so as to give an air of reputability I suppose.

It's one of the oldest cons in the book, and has even been featured on The Real Hustle on BBC. It doesn't appear to actually be illegal though, and they were a properly VAT registered company. Plus, you do see what you're buying before you pay for it.

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Always held in a well known hotel, Jurys, Lynch, etc so as to give an air of reputability I suppose.

Yeah, I wouldnt have thought that such an event could happen in a place like the Burlington. I wonder if they will allow it to happen there again? I hope not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oktane

About the HD7z, and the DXG 595v type cameras that are around 200 bucks.... The still pictures on them when set at 8 megapixel setting are very sharp. And the video isn't bad at all (in well lit settings). I have a Speed HD7z, and i have to say its a pretty decent camera for the price. People have video on Vimeo where you can actually check out the quality it is good, better than the aiptek cameras. The only con i've found to it is when you zoom in and out the mic picks the sound up loud and clear, which is not good. But other than that its worth the 200 bucks for just basic HD video.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

your first post on boards and it's defending a cheap brand product being flogged by some dodgy crowd,and it's a three month old thread?
    hmmm...

Its totally legit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No warranty - feck that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

axer wrote: »
    I say if people are stupid enough...

agreed, a fool and their money are soon parted,

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

LolaDub wrote: »

Yep, they'd cut up kids shoes as well rather than give them away. I'd say the real reason they did it was because people'd buy it in the charity shop and then want a refund in BT's. Still I'm sure there was a better way to do it than cut up stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes common practice, years ago we used to cut the labels and donate to the local charity shop, but at least once every six month we'd get someone into the shop looking for a refund.

We had to stop when a lady came into the shop and caused blue murder because the outfit she had worn to her daughters wedding was available in the charity shop window 6 months after she had bought it.

She wanted compensation!!!

Needless to say we went back to cutting up bags of clothes every month.

What really annoyed me was beaded and sequined dresses returned because 2 beads had fallen off that were cut up and disposed of. What a waste.....

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

BistoKid wrote: »

Also does anyone know of any future auctions? People need to be warned!
    Theres one of these sales scheduled for tomorrow in the Tower hotel in Waterford City (Sunday 2nd).
    I was just searching for info on the guys running it and the validity of these sales when i stumbled across this thread. Having read it I don't think I'll bother going down to it.
    I got a leaflet in the door Tuesday promoting the sale. Its the same guys running it, from Carlow. Prices quoted on the leaflet are ridiculously low.
    ps3 €100
    tvs from €20
    dvd players from €20

a bit too good to be true me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

gobo99 wrote: »
    a bit too good to be true me thinks.

You said it yourself. There's no such thing as a free lunch in this world.

Advertisement